France in Winter

dedecaca

I'm organising a trip to France that will last about six weeks, two and a half of which I'm spending in Paris. I believe I'd like to spend some time in Alsace/Lorraine, perhaps Lyon and Savoy. I'm geared to avoid the south as I'd rather save that for better weather, I think. Where's appropriate for winter? I'm interested in everything from art, architecture and museums to hiking and such.

Thanks.

So far I have always preferred the Alps as my winter destination in France: Valmorel, Val d'Isere, Les Arcs, La Plagne or somewhere in Les Trois Vallees. Not much art or architecture there, but breathtaking scenery and awesome snow nonetheless. I would recommend Val d'Isere, Courchevel or Chamonix even to a non-skier/snowboarder.

also Megève in the same spirit as Courchevel luxury boutiques etc... For skiers as Tisswat said Val d Isère and also Tignes are pretty good spots. But no museums etc.. in such places. You can try Strasbourg if you want to taste the french eastern culture. Then you can go to the Vosges for very nice landscape. Lyon is famous for its culinar culture.

Lyon is famous for its culinar culture.

My town... (Thanks!)

Men, avoid Val D'Isere, Courchevel, mégève there mad expensive ( up to 5000$ a week...) And if you want ot shop in paris....

Go to smaller resorts : les diablerets, avoriaz, l'aple d'huez, les 2 aples, val thorens...

If you are American go to normandie to the beaches of overlord.

The riviera is really cool in winter.

I would prefer Val d'Isere over Les Deux Alpes any day of the week. But that's just me.

Interesting that you mention the Riviera. Isn't it a bit boring down there that time of year? I'm interested in hearing your experiences, monsieur FF.

I would prefer Val d'Isere over Les Deux Alpes any day of the week. But that's just me.

Interesting that you mention the Riviera. Isn't it a bit boring down there that time of year? I'm interested in hearing your experiences, monsieur FF.

Well yes it is not as exciting as in summer, but the weather is nice, prices are low, and it is EMPTY... you can what you want...Never been to les deux alpes But val d'isere a lot... some of my friends have a flat up there, but thr prices are so high. I was going up ther with my parents... But I think that i will be better for him to shop in Paris rather than pay 5000$ for a week in val d'isere...

But also it depends on what he like... Freestyle, Freeride, only the slopes...

Also Val disere is like England... You order inEnglish in th restaurant...

Surfing is amazing in winter also, huge swell, nobody in the water, but cold---> Wetsuit...

Wow, I didn't know there were waves down there. It actually sounds pretty interesting. Quiet is good, as longs as the bars and restaurants aren't empty. Also, what are (air) temperatures like in winter time? I'm a regular kitesurfer on the Dutch coast, so I can handle cold water.

I've only been to Val d'Isere twice, but what I remember most is the fact that there's people from all over Europe there. The colonies of Dutch students that flock to places like Val Thorens and Les Deux Alpes sometimes get to me. Also, I remember being greeted by pretty French girls at the bottom lift every morning wishing me a wonderful journey. It seriously made my day.

Have you ever been to that resort where they have lifts, but they don't prepare any slopes? Off-piste/freeride heaven. I forgot the name.

Edit: Oh yeah, La Grave.

Brittany is off the cards for winter-visiting, I think, given that I've been told that the unreliable whether doesn't make for good times outside. Apart from that, I'm pretty interested in going to Strasbourg and Nancy.

A few people have told me that going east is the opposite to what I should be doing and that the mild weather of the south is a definite reason to head down there; it won't be dead(ish)?

Wow, I didn't know there were waves down there. It actually sounds pretty interesting. Quiet is good, as longs as the bars and restaurants aren't empty. Also, what are (air) temperatures like in winter time? I'm a regular kitesurfer on the Dutch coast, so I can handle cold water.

I've only been to Val d'Isere twice, but what I remember most is the fact that there's people from all over Europe there. The colonies of Dutch students that flock to places like Val Thorens and Les Deux Alpes sometimes get to me. Also, I remember being greeted by pretty French girls at the bottom lift every morning wishing me a wonderful journey. It seriously made my day.

Have you ever been to that resort where they have lifts, but they don't prepare any slopes? Off-piste/freeride heaven. I forgot the name.

Edit: Oh yeah, La Grave.

You can't kite surf down here...

It's hard core waves 6 foot, but so powerfull!!!

I'm good surfer and swimmer, i nearly drawn one time, a friend broke a board...

I'v seen slatter, hammilton... My neighboors when i rended a house was the volcom team...

Trust me south WEST of France is a HUGE surf spot... All the economy down there turns around surfing and bullfight...

La Grave : one of the best place in the world go there twice a year, have a flat in l'alpe d'huez so it's pretty close.

who cares of empty bars and clubs if your friends are here...

But me i want to ride in colorado...

Trust me south east of France is a HUGE surf spot... All the economy down there turns around surfing and bullfight...

don't you mean south WEST? The mediterranean sea is flat as hell.

on the western coast, the beaches from the Basque country and the Landes above are really awesome, but it's rather cold in the winter, and wet. Yet, there are surfers everyday here.

the riviera isn't dead also. for sure, Cannes and St Tropez are totally avoidable (boring as hell, packed with old people, and yet still too expensive) with old people. but cities like Nice and Marseille are alive all the time, since they are quite important towns. (Nice being by far my favourite between these two).

don't you mean south WEST? The mediterranean sea is flat as hell.

on the western coast, the beaches from the Basque country and the Landes above are really awesome, but it's rather cold in the winter, and wet. Yet, there are surfers everyday here.

the riviera isn't dead also. for sure, Cannes and St Tropez are totally avoidable (boring as hell, packed with old people, and yet still too expensive) with old people. but cities like Nice and Marseille are alive all the time, since they are quite important towns. (Nice being by far my favourite between these two).

Sorry, it was WEST, i just edited...

Well there will always be surfers but not as much as in summer...