Turkish Psych Saved My Life

DüM

After Oh No's 'Dr.No's Oxperiment' made love to my ears I decided I wanted to check out some of the music he sampled. I finally found some of it.

Selda - Selda

sleeve_selda.jpg

and

Mustafa Ozkent - Genclik Ile Elele

sleeve_mustafa.jpg

(both rerelaeased by Finders Keepers)

Anyone else know more stuff like this?

I'm not familiar with the ones you have listed, but I've listened to a couple of Erkin Koray's albums and they were decent, but not very memorable. For a starter comp I would suggest Love, Peace and Poetry Volume 9: Turkish Psychedelic Music. If you aren't familiar with the Love, Peace and Poetry series they are a number of comps (I believe 9 in total thus far) that pick a region, or nation of the world and select songs that highlight the genre from various artists. All of them are good starter comps.

there's a few great erkin koray tracks out there, look for a copy of elektronik turkuler or any comp of early singles (the two i have are out of print vinyl issues so that's not going to help). also check out fikrit kizilok, he's got an album called zaman zaman which is pretty great - sort of on the freak folk tip but strained through a Turkish harmonic sense. he was featured on the int'l sad hits comp as well. i'm not a huge fan of selda but another rock band often mentioned in this context is mavi isklar though i wasn't too into their album.

more contemporary dudes I recommend 2/5 BZ (sample-based experimental "dance" music with a strong psych bent) and Zen, a 90s improv psych band (cd on father yod findeable in a dollar bin near you). peep the wfmu site for audio archives and a special set 2/5 bz did (full disclosure - it was for my show there)

Guest chemi

greetings i got turned on to selda few years ago, this is the mix that got me into it (more breaks related):

Turkish_Delight_Cover2.jpg

http://www.scope45.com/Turkish-Delight-Mix-by-ScopeCGN.mp3

there's a dj named andy votel that has stacks of turkish psych heat, favorite of mine. as for records i really enjoy Les Mogol, The Bosporus Bridges Compilation, few albums by Arap Saci and Baris Banco. other than that, it's kinda mehhhh.

From

okayyonca.jpg

http://www.laplanetesauvage.com/soundfiles/OkayTemiz_Denizalti.MP3