Travelling to Leeds?

broneck

Hey guys, I've got an opportunity to stay with a friend in Leeds for a week coming up this may, and I've really never heard much of it as a tourist destination . . . any thoughts? I keep hearing about how amazing a city it is to party in, partially because of the international programs at the university there, but if I'm flying overseas I'd rather do more than just drink. . . any experiences/suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks sufu.

I live in Leeds and would be suprised to hear it referred to as a tourist destination. That said it is one of the more relaxed and friendlier places I have lived and there is plenty to do. I would agree that it's big on partying and there is plenty in the way of eating, drinking, clubbing and shopping. but lacks a little on the cultural side.

For Eating there is no better than Little Tokyo pretty obviously japanese ,fantastic Ramen and sushi. For curry Hansa Gujarati is all vegetarian but famous. most of the rest pales in comparison although there was a place called Darbar where the owner and waiter did a Basil Fawlty and Manuel act which was worth witnessing.

Drinking and clubbing The Faversham and HiFi are great for Funk/Soul/Latin and Hip Hop and run the odd rock indie and electro night. Both attract good dj's and groups. North and Cela bar are on the same street and are pretty relaxed and trendy. For a student dive you wanna go to The Brudenell Social pretty scuzzy but has good gigs some of which spill into the car park afterwards.

Sufu approved shopping is pretty thin on the ground outside of HIP if you like overpriced Supreme and Visvim plus the recent addition of $400 Studio D'Artisan's but the staff are pretty nice and if they like you there might be a discount. There are a few high end stores like Louis Vuitton, Vivienne Westwood and Harvey Nichols but nothing else really of note.

There is plenty to do outside the city as it surrounded by countryside. Little towns like Otley, Ilkley and Hebden Bridge are worth spending a Day in if you fancy a walk. Manchester is about half hour by train and always worth a visit just for Vynil Valley a half mile concentration of about thirty record shops and the fantastic Oi Polloi which has to be one of the best shops in the North.

I can't help but mention the Hyde Park Picturehouse one of the oldest surviving cinemas in the country and my workplace

Thats all I can think of for now but if you want anything specific let me know.

• 2 months later...

Just came across this thread, might be a bit late by now but here goes.

Eating out, I would definitely second Little Tokyo and Darbar, really good food.

Drinking, clubbing etc: Mook is a good cocktail place, depending on the night you can get two for a fiver, Hifi is great fun if youre into funk/soul etc, but can be a bit pricey drinks wise. More chilled places, Viva cuba can be good if youre with the right people and you get free food after 11 (but reggaeton gets really irritating after about 10 mins), Fab Cafe is cool if youre a bit geeky (its decorated with tonnes of retro scifi memorabilia and they sell sweets at the bar).

Places to avoid: Oceana, Gate Crasher

Shopping: Havent really got much to add to whats been said already, Hip is cool as are the people that work there, Harvey Nichols and Flannels for more upmarket/eurotrash stuff.

If you havent already been, hope you enjoy youre stay. If you have been, what did you think of our humble little city?