Quality of Raf Simons mainline?

leroi

While I certainly appreciate his design and taste, I have never really been into anything Raf has done besides Jil Sander, and so have never really made an effort to take a good look at the Raf Simons stuff when I go shopping. However, this past weekend I stopped by Barneys (Madison) to take a look at the sale stuff and to be honest I'm not sure I agree with the praise of Raf's mainline quality. Sure, there were some very interesting pieces (I don't want to snitch, but the most striking was this shiny sort of woven foam blazer) but nothing looked spectacularly well constructured nor did anything that great. Whereas the better-funded Jil line feels and looks incredibly luxurious and well put together, I actually expected the Raf line to be better constructed due to its cult following and smaller distribution.

Thoughts? Comments? Responses? Am I wrong?

I've been somewhat meh on Raf's stuff, lately. Fused suits, less-than-great wools (the notorious itchy sweaters), etc. The design work is stellar, in terms of cutting and aesthetics, but it is somewhat let down by the fabric quality and the prices ($1600 for a hooded metallic poly jacket?!).

The Jil pieces are indeed made to a much better spec.

I've been somewhat meh on Raf's stuff, lately. Fused suits, less-than-great wools (the notorious itchy sweaters), etc. The design work is stellar, in terms of cutting and aesthetics, but it is somewhat let down by the fabric quality and the prices ($1600 for a hooded metallic poly jacket?!).

The Jil pieces are indeed made to a much better spec.

Um no they aren't remember????

Raf mainline has taken a dive but design wise is excellent, don't judge based on 1) barney's buy and 2)what's left at barney's at the end of the sale season.

Raf is more about the design than construction, I usually like the techno-fabrics he chooses and they seem to be better than his choice of wools, which can be a bit underwhelming. Stitching holds up pretty well but the trims are usually sub-par.

While I certainly appreciate his design and taste, I have never really been into anything Raf has done besides Jil Sander, and so have never really made an effort to take a good look at the Raf Simons stuff when I go shopping. However, this past weekend I stopped by Barneys (Madison) to take a look at the sale stuff and to be honest I'm not sure I agree with the praise of Raf's mainline quality. Sure, there were some very interesting pieces (I don't want to snitch, but the most striking was this shiny sort of woven foam blazer) but nothing looked spectacularly well constructured nor did anything that great. Whereas the better-funded Jil line feels and looks incredibly luxurious and well put together, I actually expected the Raf line to be better constructed due to its cult following and smaller distribution.

Thoughts? Comments? Responses? Am I wrong?

exact same experience here. completely turned me off. im no expert at these things, but if i purchase a piece of cloth for more than a couple hundred of dollars, i really dont want to find out that it was made in rwanda or wherever.

He is probably in my opinion possibly the strongest designer working at the moment though in terms of his designs and the conceptualisation behind it in my view, while other designers have an aesthetic and definite focus no-one else really surprises and excites me the way raf's collections do, even his s/s 08 collection, which i hated, was facinating conceptually. I appreciate that isn't what the topic is though, so i'll be quiet :P

What do you do to your clothes that require such high quality- walk and sit? I never had anything happen to any of my raf pieces that didnt involve me being an idiot with scissors. It could be better or it could be worse, I just dont understand the obssession with having the best quality (something that is very hard to judge most of the time). The knits are still suberb too.

What do you do to your clothes that require such high quality- walk and sit? I never had anything happen to any of my raf pieces that didnt involve me being an idiot with scissors. It could be better or it could be worse, I just dont understand the obssession with having the best quality (something that is very hard to judge most of the time). The knits are still suberb too.

This is a very good point. I mean, you should be getting quality for the price you pay for Raf's clothing but I would say you're definitely getting it from his main line. Some of the trims are maybe considered 'sub par' but for the most part, I would say the quality is good.

I think most of us have gotten used to the whole point of Designer clothing=More money because it is 'designer'.

But I definitely think Raf, having expanded his line over the years has done a good job of innovating and still keeping the quality up to par.