australia :: melbourne :: shopping

Tyro1

couldn't agree more tyro. the mid-range stores here have a dismal selection of designers and ridiculous mark ups (eg. cactus jam). would love to see a store that stocks some of the japanese designers like dilettante and zekka in perth, I'm sure there would be a market for it here.

I think its about time assin re-evaluate their pricing policies. it's bad enough that they take forever to get new stock in, how do they justify a mark up of 100 to 200%? it's seriously cheaper to fly overseas if you are making a serious buy. L.E.F.T. and EM are priced reasonaly for what they stock, but that isn't saying much when you're looking at 4k+ for a leather jacket.

fat and alice are rather uninteresting atm, although this is due to no fault of their own. the aussie designers seem to be pretty slack and take forever to release their new collections. seriously, brands in the northern hemisphere have had the new season collections available for a good 1-2 months now and we are still looking at racks of dusty shit from last season...

Also australia has no basic clothing stores, (like Uniqlo, H&M, Zara, topshop, etc...)

this is true, I don't understand why there aren't any decent stores for basics here in Australia. closest things we have are AA (overpriced hipster shit) and giordano (sweat shop quality peasant steeze)...

CR wouldn't be so bad if they could slim down the fit but I know exactly what you mean. the shit they sell at zara, h&m, topshop, gap, etc. fits well and doesn't look half bad for basics/designer rips. uniqlo in particular is fantastic value for money, although none of the shit fits me well bar the 500 yen tees and the jeans (just copped grey T-000s and the fit is spot on).

i think this was the vague idea behind plane on chapel st, to capitalise on this untapped market that is clearly lacking in melbourne, by providing basic good fitting clothing but whenever i have been in it was pretty much wall to wall aa shit but i think they are bringing in a few other labels

hmmmm we need investors.

however, my intuition is telling me nobody is going to want to invest...

out of interest, if anyone knows, how much coin would it roughly cost to set up a place stocking the aforementioned level of labels? im talking stock, rent, fitout, registration, etc. - everything

?

hai if you stock some quality mid priced labels like ndg, ndc, f+b, and also some moderately priced japanese brands like viridi anne, DBSS, WJK, Isamu Katuyama, julius, Mihara Yasuhiro, Lounge lizard, Factotum etc you could really be successful in having me as a customer and prolly many others.. :D

Cost of rent + fitout - wouldnt be so bad,

Commitment to buys - would be a fair amount...

figured as much..

if anyone here is actually serious (i'm not even sure i am), i'm heading to tokyo next month for just over a week and again in december/january for a longer period and would more than happily look into possible hookups. start that networking steez.

because, the more i think about it, the more this rings true:

anyone ever think we need more clothing stores in Melbourne? We have stores that stock high/avant/top end shit like assin/eastern market/l.e.f.t., plenty of designer shops like all that gucci and shit, fat and alice have aussie shit on lock, but where are the stores that stock mid level shit like A.P.C / geller / NDG / etc etc etc....

Basically why doesnt melbourne have an incu or our spot?

in fact, i've been thinking it for a while myself. from what i've heard and seen, despite shifts in the last 5-10 years, mens only = (probable) FAIL. we would need some steezy chicks to steer us into some nice womenswear as well.

I would love for nothing more than to knock those fat (no pun) chicks off their pedestals..