Amsterdam first-timer...hip-hop/graf head...any help?

ImRatherUnique

I searched in here for an Amsterdam thread that specifically discussed the hip-hop/graffiti scene there, and didn't see one, so I figured this was a valid post.

Im going to Amsterdam in June with my older brother as one of the cities im spending time in for my high school graduation present, and being 18, I figured Amsterdam would be pretty much one of the only cities I could do damage in for not being 21.

That being said, I would apprecite ANY suggestions in terms of places/areas to eat, stay, go out, etc. I am a huge hip hop head, and would also like to see whats up with the graffiti scene in Amsterdam, but at the sametime I am open to go anywhere/experience anything, so any help with whats stated above is truly appreciated.

I don't know much about the graffiti scene in Amsterdam, but here's some info on the hip-hop scene. I assume it can't be hard to find out about the city's graffiti scene from there. Just ask around and talk to a lot of people..

Paradiso - Amsterdam's holy temple of music. Used to be a church that was squatted by a group of artists who turned it into a youth center in the 60s. From there on it evolved into the city's primary music venue. The place has seen everybody from David Bowie to Nirvana and from KRS One to the Rolling Stones, Prince and Pink Floyd. Keep an eye on Paradiso's agenda for hip-hop gigs. Also, check out Paradiso's monthly hip-hop party called Bassline.

Melkweg - Paradiso's little brother. Watch their event list as well. Appelsap throws the city's best hip-hop parties here. Plenty of hip-hop gigs being held here.

Club Bitterzoet - Amsterdam's homebase for hip-hop heads. Part theatre, part club, but open 7 days a week. Bum around, smoke your weed, play some pool or go crazy on the dance floor. Ask around in the bars and shops what nights to attend. The guys at Patta know this club inside-out.

Cafe De Duivel - One of the original hangouts of the Dutch hip-hop scene. This is where DJs, MCs, producers and everyone surrounding them go for a beer. They throw an occasional party as well. Small bar, very laid back.

Flex Bar - Despite the name it's the city's newest club to be. They focus on the newer, more underground subcultures. Check out the monthly favela club night called Little Sexmachine. There's also periodical label nights. Events change rapidly, so ask again/around in six months time.

Jimmy Woo - This is where the Britneys, John Legends, SNoop Doggs and Ocean's 12 cast go out when they're in town. It's just a stone's throw away from Melkweg and Paradiso. Strict door policy, so dress up, bring eye candy or hussle for a spot on the guest list. DJs play hip-hop every thursday, but keep an eye out for Amsterdam's finest DJ Wix who hosts every last Thursday of the month. It's not very underground, but loads of pretty people, flashing hustlers and (try-hard) celebrities make for an entertaining night.

Studio 80 - Tiny underground club that is usually filled with hipster kids and fashion supergays, but the Riot parties on Thrusdays might be interesting for you.

Studio 80 used to host a party called 08bar, where young hip-hop producers could bring and plug their demos. 08bar has now moved to the Berlin-esque Volkskrantgebouw - a former newspaper hq.

I wanted to recommend another event called OntFront, but I have no idea what their current status is. They started out at De Duivel and moved on to Flex Bar, but I don't know where they play now. Try shooting them an email or ask the crew at Patta.

Another interesting event is The Hop. On a randomly changing location, they will invite an MC, a producer and a graphic designer to write, design, produce and record a new track in one night. Many Dutch hip-hop figures attend.

Streetlab Festival - I have no idea when their next happening is (last one was end of July 2007), but anyone who's interested in streetwear, graffiti, urban art and such should attend. It's usually good fun.

Some event listings that focus on hip-hop:

http://www.statemagazine.nl/state.php/agenda

http://www.theboombap.nl/theShows/

http://www.bboyconnections.com/wordpress/

Here's some shops that should be worth a visit - either for shopping or for hearing out the staff about what's going on in town:

HENXS / The Shop (graffiti hq)

http://www.HENXS.nl

Wolf & Pack (store and gallery)

http://www.wolfandpack.com

Concrete

http://www.concrete.nl

Patta

http://www.Patta.nl

8 Sneakers and Shirts

http://www.8-sneakers.nl/

90sqm

http://www.90sqm.nl

Fat Beats Rec. A'dam

http://www.fatbeats.nl

Rush Hour Records

http://www.rushhour.nl

That's all I can think of for now.. I will add if anything comes to mind. You should probably bump this thread in 6 months so I can provide some more current event info.

Thanks tisswat, thats alot of good info. Definitely will consider all of those places. This was exactly what I was looking for in terms of suggestions.

Can you refer me to any good restaruants? We're huge foodies, so we'll go anywhere regardless of price, so feel free to refer any places you know that are good whether it's cheap or expensive.

Also, what coffee shops/smart shops are a must to hit up? Are there any to avoid?

Last of the barrage of ?'s, is Amsterdam a skate-friendly city? Im going to have my skateboard regardless, but I wont hit the streets on it unless the city is accomodating of bicyclists and skaters, any advice on this is appreciated as well.

in terms of visitors that have been there, feel free to post any impressions you got while in amsterdam or cool things you didnt expect...

thanks sufu.

Skateboarding spots

Marnixplantsoen:

904797227_ca25d401fd.jpg

Everland Skatepark Amsterdam:

624068826_9cc1960358.jpg

the (brand new!) ramp on Museumplein:

RTEmagicC_museumramp2.jpg.jpg

2109082842_58b02acc6e.jpg

There's plenty more, and the crew at Ben-G (underneath Patta) and Tom's Skateshop can probably tell you all about them.

As far as coffeeshops go, stay away from The Bulldog and the tourist-infested ones. Most of the shops in the red light district are sub standard. A few good touristy shops are Barney's, de Dampkring (from the scene in Ocean's 12), Grey Area and the Greenhouse. These are very popular and can be very crowded on weekends. Personally I prefer shops mostly visited by locals. I think there is a coffeeshop thread elsewhere on here with more opinions/experiences for other sufu'ers.

Finally the restaurants.. there are really too many to mention. Do you want Michelin-star haute cuisine or excellent Thai food for $10? What is your budget? What kind type of restaurant do you prefer?

Wow nice. Those skate spots look sick, can't wait to hit them up one of the days im there.

Yeah i was hoping to get some suggestions for mostly local coffee shops, fck the super touristy ones. ill check out/search for the thread you're referring to tisswat.

Finally the restaurants.. there are really too many to mention. Do you want Michelin-star haute cuisine or excellent Thai food for $10? What is your budget? What kind type of restaurant do you prefer?
Well we plan on going to a michelin-star rated restaurant one of the nights we're there, but thai food for $10 is great as well...for the most part our budget is relatively moderate besides the one visit to a michelin-star rated place....and in terms of types of restaurants any cuisine is good, i like everything, but maybe some casual places we can walk in on a whim, no reservation stuff....

Bobbejaan - im psyched. lol, that sounds GREAT. thanks for the waterloo suggestion... And i will be sure to post anything i throw under the Schellingwoude bridge :D

thanks for all the help thus far guys, really appreciate it

edit: and btw, we are huge bud connoisseurs/smokers, so ANY coffeeshop suggestions will be taken on, i dont plan on ever being not zooted while there

grey area is pretty touristy but they actually have fantastic pot.

there is this place across from the dampkring coffeeshop called popeyes or something like that, that is far less of a tourist spot and has super laid back employees and great weed, and a chessboard

we basically tried to smoke pot in as many places as we could while there. even the bulldog on leidseplein is great if you can sit in the jail cell booth, otherwise its just loud and crowded. its just a great city overall

This is late, but in terms of food i can only reccomend u stay near damrak.....cheap ass little hut right in front of the central station called MAOZ has falafels and french fries....absolutely amazing....further down there are slightly more posh retaurants....just dont go to Gandhi......the guy was a revolutionary, the restaurant is a hot-bed for dysentry. and stay away from damrak inn hotel....they have been accused of stealing passport info yikes!

There is a topic about Mary jane already but...

Another great shop is "de Rokerij" They have won the dutch canabis cup many times for best weed and hasj.

Just check Highlife for more info. Maybe some day youll be able te visit the highlife fair.(23,24,25 feb) and marry miss highlife 2008.. just kidding but the main advice is the same as in every major city. Stay away from the tourists spots.

img_0093.jpg

http://www.highlife.nl/?id=72&title=Start

@tisswat hoe is het ouwe ? haha

Tisswat has everything covered as usual. Especially the The Shop part. Heh heh.

I wanted to add to Bobbejaans comment that Schellingwoude bride is a bit scetchy in terms of it being legal or not, I usually advise foreigners to just go there and if the cops show up act stupid but recently some people have been picked up/fined there, even foreigners. That was the only place as far as legal walls go, theres quite a big legalwall and skatespot in Zaandam though wich is a 15 minutes trainride plus 10 minutes walk from Amsterdam Central station.

Bobejaan also said spraypaint on the Waterloo square, there are actually two stands there, one sells Spanish Montana (MTN Hardcore), Belton, Bombersbest and some cheap stuff and is connected to The Shop/Henxs the other sells the more expensive Montana Gold and Black along with bike chains and other non graff related stuff.

This is the updated website for The Shop/Henxs, basicly it's like this, all the paint you get on the market and all the other stuff, markers, books/mags, caps gloves etc you can get it The Shop wich is a 2 minute walk from the market.

Seems like there is no highlife in amsterdam in 2008! :(

The high life cup was, imho, a little depressing. Its sad to see the big seed companies eneter a amatur cup. but whatever, there was beer, and people were smoking, and soma would rant for two hours, so, it was basicly like living out "No Exit".

On another note, i think the gray area is one of the best shops in town if your going to have to pay retail for your weed. You really get a good product, its not as expensive as it could be, and they care about what they are doing. Fuck, they close at 8 and not 2am. These guys are making bank, and out of all the "smaller" coffee shops, they are the king IMHO. The dampkring and Twe De Kamer are both great spots to get gooood weed at as well. a bit pricer, but always good, and what it should be, well grown, up to date menu, decent staff who will recomend and not sell.

The graf scene is strong here in town, and Wolf And Pack and HENX are both great spots to get a taste of whats going on and check up on some really ill gear as well. The gallery space's at both store's are rotating, so its always cool to see whats up.

The wall at patta just got done up by Shoe and HAZE in the past few months, and is not to be missed. As well, patta has some of the best hype gear in the city and is defintily a hot spot to hit up, if for no other reason than to see a great selection of products.

Amsterdam is like Vegas, it can be great, or it can eat you alive. its up to you to avoid the spots that your going to be bummed about.

And Tisswiat! Where the hell is a good 1oE thai spot? come on, hook me up!

Seems like there is no highlife in amsterdam in 2008! :(

The high life cup was, imho, a little depressing. Its sad to see the big seed companies eneter a amatur cup. but whatever, there was beer, and people were smoking, and soma would rant for two hours, so, it was basicly like living out "No Exit".

On another note, i think the gray area is one of the best shops in town if your going to have to pay retail for your weed. You really get a good product, its not as expensive as it could be, and they care about what they are doing. Fuck, they close at 8 and not 2am. These guys are making bank, and out of all the "smaller" coffee shops, they are the king IMHO. The dampkring and Twe De Kamer are both great spots to get gooood weed at as well. a bit pricer, but always good, and what it should be, well grown, up to date menu, decent staff who will recomend and not sell.

The graf scene is strong here in town, and Wolf And Pack and HENX are both great spots to get a taste of whats going on and check up on some really ill gear as well. The gallery space's at both store's are rotating, so its always cool to see whats up.

The wall at patta just got done up by Shoe and HAZE in the past few months, and is not to be missed. As well, patta has some of the best hype gear in the city and is defintily a hot spot to hit up, if for no other reason than to see a great selection of products.

Amsterdam is like Vegas, it can be great, or it can eat you alive. its up to you to avoid the spots that your going to be bummed about.

Good stuff. By the way, when did Fat Beats close? I didn't even know..

My favourite is Ocha (formerly named Nong Ying) in the Binnen Bantammerstraat, just around the corner from Zeedijk/Stormsteeg. It's owned by the former cook of Bird, who opened up her own place there a few years ago. Ask about the 'dagschotel' for 7.50. I also like Little Thai Prince on Zeedijk, but I don't think 10 euro will cut it there. Their Masaman Kai is unrivaled if you ask me though.

Now.. how about hooking me up with some of those wholesale prices you seem to be enjoying? :P

Good stuff. By the way, when did Fat Beats close? I didn't even know..

My favourite is Ocha (formerly named Nong Ying) in the Binnen Bantammerstraat, just around the corner from Zeedijk/Stormsteeg. It's owned by the former cook of Bird, who opened up her own place there a few years ago. Ask about the 'dagschotel' for 7.50. I also like Little Thai Prince on Zeedijk, but I don't think 10 euro will cut it there. Their Masaman Kai is unrivaled if you ask me though.

Now.. how about hooking me up with some of those wholesale prices you seem to be enjoying? :P

i have always wanted to try and go that prince spot. the name alone is so insane to me that it HAD to be good. me and my girl have been laughing about going there for a while, now that our gut feeling is more or less confirmed, were all over it. well def try your recomended dish.

i like RANGKANG on the eilands graght. or whatever the hell how you spell it. for the price its amazing. really good meat, really good service. more of a date spot though, and not like the bird when you can be throwing up at your table and they will still bring you another beer to rack up the bill.

as far as wholesale go's, what can i say, im a lucky guy :) met the right people when i got here, and now im leaving all sorts of tracks that the DEA will follow and bring me to GITMO to dog rape it out of me. (crossing a line? perhaps.)

There must be plenty more good Thai places in the city, but I'm a bit biased toward the Nieuwmarkt area. Shit, I think I know one of the waitresses at Rang Kang. She lives in my street.

I need some home-growing friends in my life. Or not. I used to go hang out with a guy who supplied de Dampkring and de Tweede Kamer. Unfortunately I didn't smoke back then. Nowadays I never see him anymore. Missed opportunity.

• 1 year later...
I don't know much about the graffiti scene in Amsterdam, but here's some info on the hip-hop scene. I assume it can't be hard to find out about the city's graffiti scene from there. Just ask around and talk to a lot of people..

Paradiso - Amsterdam's holy temple of music. Used to be a church that was squatted by a group of artists who turned it into a youth center in the 60s. From there on it evolved into the city's primary music venue. The place has seen everybody from David Bowie to Nirvana and from KRS One to the Rolling Stones, Prince and Pink Floyd. Keep an eye on Paradiso's agenda for hip-hop gigs. Also, check out Paradiso's monthly hip-hop party called Bassline.

Melkweg - Paradiso's little brother. Watch their event list as well. Appelsap throws the city's best hip-hop parties here. Plenty of hip-hop gigs being held here.

Club Bitterzoet - Amsterdam's homebase for hip-hop heads. Part theatre, part club, but open 7 days a week. Bum around, smoke your weed, play some pool or go crazy on the dance floor. Ask around in the bars and shops what nights to attend. The guys at Patta know this club inside-out.

Cafe De Duivel - One of the original hangouts of the Dutch hip-hop scene. This is where DJs, MCs, producers and everyone surrounding them go for a beer. They throw an occasional party as well. Small bar, very laid back.

Flex Bar - Despite the name it's the city's newest club to be. They focus on the newer, more underground subcultures. Check out the monthly favela club night called Little Sexmachine. There's also periodical label nights. Events change rapidly, so ask again/around in six months time.

Jimmy Woo - This is where the Britneys, John Legends, SNoop Doggs and Ocean's 12 cast go out when they're in town. It's just a stone's throw away from Melkweg and Paradiso. Strict door policy, so dress up, bring eye candy or hussle for a spot on the guest list. DJs play hip-hop every thursday, but keep an eye out for Amsterdam's finest DJ Wix who hosts every last Thursday of the month. It's not very underground, but loads of pretty people, flashing hustlers and (try-hard) celebrities make for an entertaining night.

Studio 80 - Tiny underground club that is usually filled with hipster kids and fashion supergays, but the Riot parties on Thrusdays might be interesting for you.

Studio 80 used to host a party called 08bar, where young hip-hop producers could bring and plug their demos. 08bar has now moved to the Berlin-esque Volkskrantgebouw - a former newspaper hq.

I wanted to recommend another event called OntFront, but I have no idea what their current status is. They started out at De Duivel and moved on to Flex Bar, but I don't know where they play now. Try shooting them an email or ask the crew at Patta.

Another interesting event is The Hop. On a randomly changing location, they will invite an MC, a producer and a graphic designer to write, design, produce and record a new track in one night. Many Dutch hip-hop figures attend.

Streetlab Festival - I have no idea when their next happening is (last one was end of July 2007), but anyone who's interested in streetwear, graffiti, urban art and such should attend. It's usually good fun.

Some event listings that focus on hip-hop:

http://www.statemagazine.nl/state.php/agenda

http://www.theboombap.nl/theShows/

http://www.bboyconnections.com/wordpress/

Here's some shops that should be worth a visit - either for shopping or for hearing out the staff about what's going on in town:

HENXS / The Shop (graffiti hq)

http://www.HENXS.nl

Wolf & Pack (store and gallery)

http://www.wolfandpack.com

Concrete

http://www.concrete.nl

Patta

http://www.Patta.nl

8 Sneakers and Shirts

http://www.8-sneakers.nl/

90sqm

http://www.90sqm.nl

Fat Beats Rec. A'dam

http://www.fatbeats.nl

Rush Hour Records

http://www.rushhour.nl

That's all I can think of for now.. I will add if anything comes to mind. You should probably bump this thread in 6 months so I can provide some more current event info.

lots of good info/links

im heading out there in november..

any updates??