Scottish bands.

Yeah Boards of Canada are puar brullyunt. Probably the most interesting band to come out of scotland. Mogwai are +. There are alot of blaaahhh bands, that seem to share similar chord patterns. Early Idlewild is alright, i never liked Biffy Clyro at all. If you're a hyped up dirty three fan looking for a warped celtic edge maybe http://www.myspace.com/shooglenifty ....? who knows.

edit. Ivor Cutler anyone?

Discuss.

Scotland is to England as Canada is to America, it seems. As in, the bands are better and there are fewer of them and weird cities (eg. Glasgow/Toronto) actually have a totally sweet musical pedigree. Pedigree? Whatever.

Glasgow compared to Toronto? lol.

But hell yeah, Scotland has some real good talent. Already mentioned Boards of Canada, Mogwai etc. I think Belle & Sebastian are pretty cool too, along with Primal Scream, The Jesus and Mary Chain etc.

i think that you are wrong in trying to say that scotchish bands are better than brit bands as canadian bands are better than american bands, because that simply isnt true.

best scotchich group ever? strawberry switchblade.

my assessment of the underground music scene(s) in canada as with other out-of-the-way spots is that they tend to be extremely close knit / cliquish... including america - case in point columbus ohio. not sure if that's the case with glasgow or wherever in scotland you're thinking of.

the mary chain and primals are tough to beat but you gotta mention josef k and orange juice. not to mention simple minds circa real to real cacophony. mogwai are terrible and no comment about strawberry switchblade

how can you no comment such a fantastic pop group? the world doesnt just revolve around jangly guitars and mopey lyrics, not even in scotland!

honestly, SS are waaaayyy underrated. really consistently knockout songwriting, forward thinking production, and the weirdo connections to all the post-punk and industrial/apocalyptic folk groups operating in the uk at the time only add to the mystique. listen to 'deep water', such a dark song, and yet, so catchy.

plus, rose mcdowall is a total fox.

how can you no comment such a fantastic pop group? the world doesnt just revolve around jangly guitars and mopey lyrics, not even in scotland!

I'm with ya, man. I definitely enjoy SS, although I didn't realize they were from Scotland.

I do know that one of the chicks from Ladytron is from Scotland though, so I approve of this thread.

I was listening to Marx & Engles by belle and sebastian when I saw this thread. If She wants me is my favorite song of all time. I <3 belle and sebastian

honestly, SS are waaaayyy underrated. really consistently knockout songwriting, forward thinking production, and the weirdo connections to all the post-punk and industrial/apocalyptic folk groups operating in the uk at the time only add to the mystique. listen to 'deep water', such a dark song, and yet, so catchy.

plus, rose mcdowall is a total fox.

i have switchblade records, they're good but not great. i'll see if i can dig out that track tho, it's on the lp, right? but compared to the likes of deux filles, i dunno. and the c93 connection is a bigtime minus in my book - only christoph heemann has survived intact. was she on the church of raism lp? still kicking myself for passing that one by.

• 2 weeks later...