Maxfield LA

englandmj7

I went to the Maxfield on Robertson a few days ago and noticed they carry literally every single brand that tons of SFers beast over: Carol Christian Poell, Carpe Diem, Raf, DH, Number (N)ine, Rick Owens, Yohji, etc.

I never hear shit about the store on here though, and there are only a handful of posts that even mention their name. What's the deal with them? Shitty prices? Bad service?

They had some amazing shit, but I suppose their wasn't a single item in there under a grand.

Honestly, I try to stay out of there.

I went there last weekend to exchange some items and while the store has some great designers, thier buys are usually lack luster and the pricing is much higher than other stores (not in LA of course).

The CCP buy consists of 2-3 new A/W pieces and the rest are from seasons past being sold as new.

RO has a good amount of stuff as well as DRKSHDW but same thing; They were trying to sell some sweaters from A/W 2005/06 as new! The SA told me that RO mismarked the label...yea.

CDiem and LM are 'okay'. Yohji, eh. DH, they have some good stuff but you have the DH store in BH with tons more. Lanvin buy is better at Barneys and the Margiela buy is crap as well especially now that there's the flagship on S Santa Monica.

All in all, they're okay. SA's are hit and miss (the girls there are nicer and more helpful) and they base thier pricing solely on the fact they get celebs in there.

(Saw the women who played Don Cheadle's partner in CRASH on Saturday)

n. robertson - you mean maxfield bleu? or did they open up another full price branch? bleu is always worth a visit though can be a little hit or miss. got some margiela 0/10 boots there years back for 70% off or something. also dependable for clements ribeiro, a highly underrated brand.

if you're talking about the main maxfield store on sunset (i think), it's got great stuff but i would never buy anything full price there.

The main Maxfield store is on melrose, just west of robertson. Bleu is where their off-season stuff goes, usually around a 60% markdown. As readytoignite mentioned, the selection can be hit and miss. It's best to time it when they get the new shipment of the previous season's merch. That's usually around January and August I believe, as you will have the best selection. Otherwise the stuff just sits there indefinitely until its sold.

I have had/seen some good buys there. I got a paid of older school cloak jeans for $75 and some nicely marked down undercover. A while back they had some nice mastermind japan leather jackets (I know I know) for $800, which is pretty decent.

I'm familiar with Maxfield Bleu; bought some stuff there in the past.

I forgot Maxfield is on Melrose; I mistakingly said Robertson because it is only about 30 feet from the corner of Robertson and Melrose. Maxfield Bleu's new location is alot closer to Maxfield on Robertson. No good stuff there right now for guys, but everything is 80% off.

The staff at the main maxfield store is alright, but I find it kind of annoying how they hover around you. They always seem to suggest really expensive, hideous stuff. Like I'm looking at a t-shirt, and they're like, "ohh, this $3,000 fur jacket will go well with that". They do seem to stock a good supply of number nine, undercover and some of the other big japanese brands, although the sizing is limited. I can recall a number of times when I found something really cool in an XL, and they say they only stocked like 1 medium.

I love that store. The selection and service has been top notch all three or four times i've been there.

Some of the coolest DH pieces i own are from there, and they're pieces that even the DH stores in America didn't get..

The store's alright, something to brag to your friends about and occasionally find something dope nobody else picked up. James Perse's dad owns it and specifically instructs the employees to swing from your nuts when you're there. Though they do embrace shifty business practices as outlines by Sir Casius, I find they have something for everyone and the design of the store has so much character. Much more so than Atelier where I was somewhat disappointed after envisioning something along the lines of Maxfield. I like the diversity in the lines they carry and it's not so narrow focus personally but I've only bought a scarf there myself.

• 3 weeks later...

most of the people were pretty nice, except for this ugly bitch at the counter, (who, by the way, should be working at hot topic -- pink hair, lip rings? fuck out of my face). anyways, she forgot to put the sunglasses i bought in the case, and didnt even say a word when i went back to retrieve them. other than that... um, the clothes were disorganized and they were selling past season shit at full price? im in no rush to go back, really.

but they carry gareth pugh!

been there a few times, customer service is okay.

i usually get eyed when im walking around cuz im usually dressed in whatever sneakers and tee shirt.

the russian male SA kinda sucks, looks like a bro sometimes and has trouble understanding english, took me 10 min to get him to show me where the y-3 shoes were.

I agree with most people's opinions here. They have the brands but hardly the spectacular service and in my experience their sales are usually blah. I usually found my best steal-deals from Barneys on Rodeo Drive.

They have amazing shit.

They do phone orders but only take AMEX. WTF?? Store sucks.

Hmmm, maybe they didn't like your voice or something. After leaving LA for Boston, I used to do phone orders for stuff that could not be found in Boston (which is to say, a fair bit of stuff) and I always used a Mastercard... I guess that YMMV.

As for the store itself, I never found the service to be bad, and the selection was always interesting, though only about 30% of the stuff is ever to my taste. I actually like that. For me, a good store always has merchandise that challenges me. It's the difference between going to the local bar for some comfort food and going to a really remarkable restaurant where you are actually going to be excited.

• 1 year later...

Maxfield Bleu...

still located on Robinson?

googled it, and read someone say it was

"no longer on Robertson Blvd, it's now located at 301 N. Canon in Beverly Hills"

please confirm/deny