Military Jacket. Thoughts?

jonnydrama

i've been looking to purchase a military inspired jacket for the fall. i came across this one, at first i wasn't too fond of it but the more i look at it, the more i'm intrigued by it. what do you guys think? i'll disclose the make later on, don't want any biased answers. :)

bossjacket.jpg

thanks for your opinions!

Any other alternatives than the Zara one?

i also have a similar military surplus version of that. its a thin bdu but will make a nice fall layer. it has the straps on the side to button and tighten if necessary. i dont like the standard collar on it and i wished it had a hood. i got it in xs and the sleaves are still really long and a little wide. the torso fits snug enough that it might be a little tight with a hoody under it.

40581201ft5.jpg

26691739vh1.jpg

the one i am wearing is here http://www.armynavyusa.com/gc/customer/product.php?productid=101&cat=76

I've got something similar in brown, with more of a blazer-style collar.

I like the Hugo Boss one, but not so big on the color, I just prefer darker colors for jackets. I think the big lower pockets make it look a bit too busy as well, but not bad. I like the epaulets, they make a military jacket. Without them, it's barely military.

Alternatives to Zara... sometimes Urban Outfitters has military-styled jackets, or if you're in Canada, try Le Chateau. It's a pretty cheap (price & quality) brand, but the fit is usually nice and they sometimes have some nice styles. Or ocassionally Armani Exchange or Guess.

Thanks for the suggestions but for some reason, I can't bring myself to spend $$$ at UO or Le Chateau...

I might go the military surplus route and see what I can find...

I can understand about Le Chateau, but I wasn't aware UO had a stigma attatched. It's the same as H&M to me. *shrug* They don't have much for jackets right now anyway.

Military surplus is a definite possibility but if you find something you like you'll very likely need it tailored. But it's authentic so if you like that, it's a good way to go. If you were in Van I could steer you toward a couple stores but I'm sure Toronto's got lots of options.

Out of all the other non-surplus stores I think Zara is the best, they have a LOT of selection.

Yeah - I've become quite elitist over the years and I'd rather spend $$ on a good piece than buy something trendy from LC/UO/H&M, etc.

That being said, I guess this military jacket could be seen as trendy...

and yeah, I'd definitely have to have it tailored to fit....there's an army/surplus store right near my place so I'm gonna go have a look....

Depends. Military is a popular trend right now but it's also a lasting look, a good jacket will still be wearable years from now, in my opinion.

I try to stay away from the overly-trendy stuff too (some of it is way too overdone), I just buy things that appeal to me personally, not just whatever's popular, and my tastes don't change that quickly. It just happens that those stores sometimes have things I like that fit my budget (which is pretty low), so it works for me.

Anyway, in the area of military-styled clothing, nothing beats the real deal if you can manage to find what you want.