Only dressing in certain colors?

jake snake

Has anyone else noticed the trend amongst designers and common retailers to limit themselves to black and white for Fall/Winter 07/08? Coincidentally, it seems most members of Superfuture have recently put their wardrobe on a strict diet of white and black.

I tend to limit myself to black, white, and navy as well. I feel that it’s not only striking to limit oneself to those colors, but that it’s more masculine, classic, and dead-motherfucking-serious-artfaggotry. Plus, everything in your wardrobe matches, so you can mix as you please.

However, part of me finds it suffocating, communistic, and depressing, like ugly Soviet era architecture and cold winters in Russia.

I've always naturally gravitated towards blacks, whites, greys, dark browns. There have been periods where I've experimented with crazier colors, going off the deep end into some yellows, reds and stuff. That ultimately ended up being a faze as I eventually started unconsciously going back to my original dark pallette. I'm glad I kind of got ridiculous with it for a short while though because it helped me define exactly what I think I look good in and why.

I normally stick to simple colors; black, white, grey, blue, brown, because it's simple to match things and you can't really go wrong with them. I usually throw in some simple patterns, stripes, polka dots so I don't look incredibly boring.

I have some brighter stuff; aqua blue, red stuff, that I wear from time to time that will break the monotony and attract some attention from people who notice that I don't normally wear those colors.