.mike vick.

Larry Bird

i havent seen a thread on this, just wanted to see what yall think about the whole thing...

does he deserve 12 to 18 months in prison? more time? less time? i know the judge can give him up to 5 years.

do you think his name will be tainted forever?

i beleive he should spend a few months in jail/prison, fined, and yes, suspended for a year or two afterwords...

roger doesnt fuck around though.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the standard sentace for this kind of thing but killing an animal for your own amusment is completely inhumane and I atleast hope he is banned from football

but in terms of how much time in prison he shouldn't spend any more or less just because he is a house hold name.

I think 12-18 months is an appropriate sentence. No more or less.

People get less jail time for assault on humans and even manslaughter.

I really don't think he'll ever be able to play in the NFL again. Even if Goodell lets him back in, what team would want him? That's a PR nightmare.

People love animals. Dogs especially. I was talking about this with my friends. Even when people thought Kobe was guilty of raping that woman, the outcry wasn't as bad as this.

I really think people care more about animals than they do humans.

the racial undertones in this story are supremely fucked up, and i fully believe that in a lot of ways, this story has become white america's collateral damage for the media frenzy that enveloped don imus.

there is a great article on espn.com profiling the cultural history of atlanta in relation to the case, in relation to what michael vick represented to atlantans both black and white, and how that contrasts with the ferocious, guilty until proven guilty mentality than the rest of america took towards vick- in particular, the fucking sniveling social idiots at PETA, who've unfairly stoked so much of the controversy surrounding the case.

vick didn't even get a chance to qualify his involvement in the story which, in my eyes,

is simply a case of letting the wrong people associate with you. i can't fathom vick being actually in his house for long enough periods of time to actually have had a pivotal arm in the dogfighting ring, all he's guilty of is looking the other way. and, call me fucking cruel, but looking the other way at a murder scene is despicable, looking away because your buddies are gambling on dogfighting, a sport that used to be legal in america, is not the fucking end of the world. the punishment killings that his friends engaged in are also horrible, but theres nothing substantiating vick's involvement- no one's even proved he knew about that aspect, i'm betting money he's confessing to what he's confessing to only as a PR attempt to at least appear willing to accept the conviction that the court of public opinion handed down already.

in my world, vick would get fined by the court and put on probation for six months and thats that.

the racial undertones in this story are supremely fucked up, and i fully believe that in a lot of ways, this story has become white america's collateral damage for the media frenzy that enveloped don imus.

there is a great article on espn.com profiling the cultural history of atlanta in relation to the case, in relation to what michael vick represented to atlantans both black and white, and how that contrasts with the ferocious, guilty until proven guilty mentality than the rest of america took towards vick- in particular, the fucking sniveling social idiots at PETA, who've unfairly stoked so much of the controversy surrounding the case.

vick didn't even get a chance to qualify his involvement in the story which, in my eyes,

is simply a case of letting the wrong people associate with you. i can't fathom vick being actually in his house for long enough periods of time to actually have had a pivotal arm in the dogfighting ring, all he's guilty of is looking the other way. and, call me fucking cruel, but looking the other way at a murder scene is despicable, looking away because your buddies are gambling on dogfighting, a sport that used to be legal in america, is not the fucking end of the world. the punishment killings that his friends engaged in are also horrible, but theres nothing substantiating vick's involvement- no one's even proved he knew about that aspect, i'm betting money he's confessing to what he's confessing to only as a PR attempt to at least appear willing to accept the conviction that the court of public opinion handed down already.

in my world, vick would get fined by the court and put on probation for six months and thats that.

Can you find that article again? I'd like to read it.

Vick basically got caught with his pants down. Rather than going about it the normal way a celebrity should do it (find a skapegoat), he tried not to snitch on anybody. Although what probably happened was he pissed off somebody he used to be cool with and they went around and told on him.

Tough luck really, he knows that white americans are good at crucifying black celebrities and by associating himself with dog fighting PETA wet their pants at the opportunity to get some national publicity.

I often think that PETA goes overboard with these cases as I doubt the dogs of the world would unite to save human beings if we were getting terrorized by animals around the world. Kind of silly, I know, but so is going to jail for killing dogs longer than you would for raping someone. Unless ofcourse the accused is a black celebrity and the "victim" was a white woman.

Kobe almost got hanged lol.

Regardless of how you feel personally on the matter, Vick is an absolute moron.

Vick had fame and fortune, and he pissed it away by engaging in foolish activities and by associating with the wrong people.

When you have what he had, you have a lot to lose. You have to be smarter than that. You have to know that people are going to want to take you down. Doesn't he have ONE friend who could have said, "Mike, you're rich. You don't need to be doing this. You shouldn't be doing this. You could lose it all. Don't hang out with these people. Use your head."

I really don't have any sympathy for someone who had the world at his fingertips and then pissed it all away.

FTR, if this had been Brett Farve, or some other white, good 'ol southern boy, you better believe this thing would be water under a bridge by now.

There would be other people taking the fall, and said white person would apologize for "accidentally" letting it happen and not really knowing what was going on. There would be a whole PR spin in their defense. But because Vick is black, has a history of poor judgment/bad behavior, and doesn't have anyone looking out for him, he took the fall.

Don't get me wrong, I think anyone who does this kind of stuff should be punished, but the media frenzy is a little ridiculous.

In his written plea filed in federal court Friday, Vick admitted to helping kill six to eight pit bulls and supplying money for gambling on the fights. He said he did not personally place any bets or share in any winnings.

i agree with you, not the end of the world. but if you have 3 friends snitch on you, and you submit a federal plea agreement, why the fuck would you lie if you're NOT GUILTY.

who gives a fuck? they're DOGS. stoopid fukin animals.

IN MY WORLD DOGFIGHTING SHOULD BE LEGAL. I WILL VOTE FOR ANY CANDIDATE WHO SEEKS TO MAKE DOGFIGHTING/ANIMAL CRUELTY LEGAL.

if you are against vick, and you eat meat, you're a fukin hypocrite. you'll see that when that stomach starts growling...you'll eat your fucking pets. have you seen Gummo?

Regardless of how you feel personally on the matter, Vick is an absolute moron.

Vick had fame and fortune, and he pissed it away by engaging in foolish activities and by associating with the wrong people.

When you have what he had, you have a lot to lose. You have to be smarter than that. You have to know that people are going to want to take you down. Doesn't he have ONE friend who could have said, "Mike, you're rich. You don't need to be doing this. You shouldn't be doing this. You could lose it all. Don't hang out with these people. Use your head."

I really don't have any sympathy for someone who had the world at his fingertips and then pissed it all away.

FTR, if this had been Brett Farve, or some other white, good 'ol southern boy, you better believe this thing would be water under a bridge by now.

There would be other people taking the fall, and said white person would apologize for "accidentally" letting it happen and not really knowing what was going on. There would be a whole PR spin in their defense. But because Vick is black, has a history of poor judgment/bad behavior, and doesn't have anyone looking out for him, he took the fall.

Don't get me wrong, I think anyone who does this kind of stuff should be punished, but the media frenzy is a little ridiculous.

or just look at his younger brother and what he did last year?

i agree with you, not the end of the world. but if you have 3 friends snitch on you, and you submit a federal plea agreement, why the fuck would you lie if you're NOT GUILTY.

no snitching mentality?

uphill battle fighting the charges and trying to pin it on three people who've banded against you?

already being seen as guilty by 99.9% of the country?

it is more likely- or at least, it makes more sense to me, considering the other factors in play- that he is taking the plea as a buffer rather than fighting it out for the next however many months and still coming up short.

if he fights the charges, people will hate him, no matter the outcome.

if he pleads guilty and tries to spin it into a "i've seen the light" story, he

has a slim chance of rehabilitating a small fraction of his previous glory.

no snitching mentality?

uphill battle fighting the charges and trying to pin it on three people who've banded against you?

already being seen as guilty by 99.9% of the country?

it is more likely- or at least, it makes more sense to me, considering the other factors in play- that he is taking the plea as a buffer rather than fighting it out for the next however many months and still coming up short.

if he fights the charges, people will hate him, no matter the outcome.

if he pleads guilty and tries to spin it into a "i've seen the light" story, he

has a slim chance of rehabilitating a small fraction of his previous glory.

i understand where you're coming from. but seriously, look at OJ, look at Kobe, look and anyone else who can afford a million dollar criminal defense attorney. What did Chris rock say? I'd rather be guilty and free than rotting in a jail and innocent? Look at the crimes OJ and Kobe were accused of, MUCH worse than Vick's, not so much OJ, but with Kobe, most everyone has forgotten about it now. The plea is 1-5 years isnt it?

oh yeah, i get you on that, but i dunno.. i feel like vick hadn't yet reached the point to have media-savvy damage control, or even anyone wise enough to deflect the controversy.

that, and i happen to think mike vick is fucking dumb as rocks and wouldnt think to take things on in an OJ/Kobe way anyway.

oh yeah, i get you on that, but i dunno.. i feel like vick hadn't yet reached the point to have media-savvy damage control, or even anyone wise enough to deflect the controversy.

that, and i happen to think mike vick is fucking dumb as rocks and wouldnt think to take things on in an OJ/Kobe way anyway.

the statement he gave today or yesterday is already doing damage control for after he gets sentenced/put in jail/etc. already saying he will redeem himself....so he's expecting to return to the NFL when he's done...

I really don't understand why Vick wasn't like, "oh shit, I'm fucked if I don't get help!" and then go to some lawyers/PR people with a sack full of cash and be like, "spin this for me. Make me look as good as possible."

How do you have that much money and not have anyone looking out for your rep.

I really don't understand why Vick wasn't like, "oh shit, I'm fucked if I don't get help!" and then go to some lawyers/PR people with a sack full of cash and be like, "spin this for me. Make me look as good as possible."

How do you have that much money and not have anyone looking out for your rep.

agree. he needs to fire some people. people can spin murder and rape, killing dogs shouldn't be any problems.

I think it's shitty that this thing's gotten so blown out of proportion, and that the racial undertones are so obvious. Still though, the guy's asking to get in shit acting like this. Being someone who habitually associates with dog fights means that you're going to get your hands dirty from time to time.

If it could be said that there is a correlation between money and intelligence, athletes would be an exception. While it may require some degree of brains to be a famous surgeon, lawyer, or CEO; athletes adhere to no such mandate. Michael Vick is most likely just another jock from your high school days who runs with a group of thugs that tell him what he wants to hear.

Whether or not it's okay to make another animal suffer for your amusement aside, the fact that it is a most obvious blatent violent crime shows that Vick lacks either a brain for himself or his crew or both. I hope he gets equal treatment in judgment, but if he gets let off easy I'll be pretty pissed.

Seriously dude, you have millions of dollars and you go around doing that petty shit?! Wtf.

Completely agree. Fuck him.

And fuck the 'racial' argument. Who cares if the shit 'blew up', he hasn't even been sentenced yet; let's see how it turns out, and then you can argue the relevance of his color in the outcome of the case.

come on engy! i know this will be pointless, but vick's already been sentenced by the court of public opinion. done deal, nearly instantaneously, before the hard facts came out, vick was guilty in the eyes of america. he didn't get a fair stab at due process-

whether that has to do more with the perceived heinousness of the crime or his race doesn't matter, the fact is that this story would have been handled way differently had it been a white player from a different part of the country. check out that espn piece i linked... it is a really balanced look at why a lot of people are concerned about how quickly it took the media to cannibalize the story and demonize vick.

I agree with OMC here.

The media right off the bat is basically saying, "See, even wealthy black men are criminals." And this just isn't the case, but it seems like the media loves to run with stories just like this. What Vick did is wrong, no doubt about it but this type of activity happens all over the US which doesn't make it right but it also doesn't mean Vick is the most evil black man on the face of the planet.

When stories like this hit the news, I can't help but think of Chris Rock's stand up where he says, "I love black people but man, I hate Niggas!"

Dog fighting is not an African American past time or anything. If you watch Animal Police like I do, you would see that there are all walks of life capable of this type of crime.

But I agree with everyone that Vick is a complete moron.

Oh I completely agree. I mean not only is he eligible for jail time but he's going (and already has) to lose every sponsorship and endorsement he's ever worked for. For me, it's a lose lose situation for going with it.

I can understand the whole not snitching thing but there's always a PR guy who can swing this thing without throwing Pooky down the block in cuffs. But then again, this is where I find Michael Vick fucked up, he obviously still has some thug mentality that doesn't go very well with being a professional athlete and role model to youngsters all over the US.