yoyo as martial art?

mizanation

could a yoyo be used as a deadly weapon?

someone proficient in the ways of a yoyo could be a dangerous, dangerous person.

at long range, they could attack using the loop the loop.

they could disarm an opponent who has a knife.

they could fend off multiple attackers using around the world.

at close range, they could use the string as a garrote.

has anyone here used a yoyo in a fight before?

my mom told me that yoyo's were used for hunting in the philippines

once, i was yoyo-ing in the living room, and my mom asked to see the yoyo

i handed it over and she began to swing it around her head with a wild look in her eye

i don't remember what happened after that

i once had a yoyo made out of pesos

anyway, from wiki:

Origin of name and the Filipino Yo-yo

The yo-yo is usually credited as having been invented in the Philippines centuries ago. The name yo-yo may have been derived from the Filipino word tayoyo which means to spin. The term was first published in a dictionary of Filipino words printed in 1860.

The principal distinction between the Filipino design and previous, more primitive "back-and-forth" models is in the way the yo-yo is strung. One continuous piece of string, double the desired length, is twisted around itself to produce a loop at one end which is fitted around the axle. Also termed a looped slip-string, this seemingly minor modification allows for a far greater variety and sophistication of motion, thanks to increased stability and suspension of movement during free spin.

[edit] "Weapon" legend

The yo-yo is sometimes cited as having originally been a weapon: according to one account the original yo-yo was "large with sharp edges and studs and attached to thick twenty-foot ropes for flinging at enemies or prey."[1] (this story is referenced in the film Octopussy, in which an Indian villain attempts to kill James Bond with such a weapon). No evidence exists to support this story, and some experts consider it physically unlikely since "once [the yo-yo] struck something, it would be nearly impossible to retract."[2][3]

[edit] Birth of the modern Yo-yo

180px-Yoyo_patent_1866.png magnify-clip.png

U.S. patent #59745

The first United States patent on the toy was issued to James L. Haven and Charles Hettrich in 1866 (U.S. Patent 59,745 ) under the name whirligig, however, the yo-yo would remain in relative anonymity until 1928 when a Filipino American named Pedro Flores opened the Yo-Yo Manufacturing Company in Santa Barbara, California. The business started with a dozen handmade toys; by November of 1929, Flores was operating two additional factories in Los Angeles and Hollywood, which altogether employed 600 workers and produced 300,000 units daily.

diddy,

the filipinos perfected the art of making deadly weapons which have very cool features that are completely unrelated and sometimes detrimental to actual fighting--but look very cool.

in fact, the filipinos are responsible for many weapons related advancements.

for instance, consider, the balisong or butterfly knife. when you're not slicing the throats of u.s. marines (as legend has it, that's where the term "leatherneck" came in to existence) you can do very cool tricks called flipping.

the browning M1911 .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol became the standard military issue after marines found that the .38 revolver (the previous standard) was not powerful enough to stop irate knife-wielding filipino moro fighters.

filipino escrima aka arnis or kali developed as a mix of spanish fencing and traditional filipino martial arts.

the yoyo really is pars pro toto, in a sense, of a wide range of deadly filipino weapons that can be utilized for cool tricks when not used for killing.

-ahem-

in the acclaimed game Star Tropics for the Nintendo,

released in 1990, Mike Jones, a star pitcher from Seattle, comes to C-Island to visit his uncle, an archaeologist named Dr. Steve Jones, more commonly known as "Dr. J", after receiving a letter from him. Mike discovers that Dr. J has been abducted. The Island Chief gives him a yo-yo as his first weapon.

MIKE JONES, WHO? MIKE JONES, WHO?

YOYOS,WHAT? YOYOS, WHAT WHAT?

diddy,

the filipinos perfected the art of making deadly weapons which have very cool features that are completely unrelated and sometimes detrimental to actual fighting--but look very cool.

for instance, consider, the balisong or butterfly knife. when you're not slicing the throats of u.s. marines (as legend has it, that's where the term "leatherneck" came in to existence) you can do very cool tricks called flipping.

the browning M1911 .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol became the standard military issue after marines found that the .38 revolver (the previous standard) was not powerful enough to stop irate knife-wielding filipino moro fighters.

filipino escrima aka arnis or kali developed as a mix of spanish fencing and traditional filipino martial arts.

the yoyo really is pars pro toto, in a sense, of a wide range of deadly filipino weapons that can be utilized for cool tricks when not used for killing.

you know way to much

yeah my dad had a few filipino butterfly knives (with mother-of-pearl handles) and he used to teach me tricks when i was little; i got good at flipping it open one handed; he also took his g.i. m1911a1 home with him after he was discharged from the USAF before 1970; thats the first gun i ever held....

i also have in my possession an heirloom bolo knife. it was given to my dad by my filipino grandfather or great grandfather when my folks married. the handle is the claw of a predatory bird gripping a human skull.

yeah my dad had a few filipino butterfly knives (with mother-of-pearl handles) and he used to teach me tricks when i was little; i got good at flipping it open one handed; he also took his g.i. m1911a1 home with him after he was discharged from the USAF before 1970; thats the first gun i ever held....

i also have in my possession an heirloom bolo knife. it was given to my dad by my filipino grandfather or great grandfather when my folks married. the handle is the claw of a predatory bird gripping a human skull.

that's fucking crazy. all of it.

-ahem-

in the acclaimed game Star Tropics for the Nintendo,

released in 1990, Mike Jones, a star pitcher from Seattle, comes to C-Island to visit his uncle, an archaeologist named Dr. Steve Jones, more commonly known as "Dr. J", after receiving a letter from him. Mike discovers that Dr. J has been abducted. The Island Chief gives him a yo-yo as his first weapon.

MIKE JONES, WHO? MIKE JONES, WHO?

YOYOS,WHAT? YOYOS, WHAT WHAT?

actually, there is a rap/yoyo connection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yo-Yo_(rapper)

lest we forget: "don't play with my yoyo!" not one of ice cube's finer moments. and definitely not his worst.

diddy,

damn imperialists. using us as guinea pigs!

The term was derived from a leather collar that both US & British Marines wore as part of their formal uniforms in the late 1700s.

http://www.usmcmuseum.org/MicrosoftWord-GyreneJargon.pdf

ever seen this?

yo-yo_girl_cop.jpg

Yup..

I actually got to play with the actual yoyo she used in the film last weekend..

There's a box set of the DVD i've got that comes with a repro of the yoyo she used in the film along with the spike counterweight.

Yup..

I actually got to play with the actual yoyo she used in the film last weekend..

There's a box set of the DVD i've got that comes with a repro of the yoyo she used in the film along with the spike counterweight.

the reason i originally brought up the yoyo as weapon thing is because the yoyo looks a lot like an actual weapon ancient samurai and ninja used, called the kusari gama.

kusari-gama1.gif

sometimes there would be a counterweight at the end of the chain, sometimes a metal loop.

the kusari-gama was a popular weapon in fedual japan due to its ability to entangle a sword and disarm opponents.

the idea was to snag someone's arm with the chain and drag them in, then chop at them with the kama (japanese sickle).

many schools developed that concentrated only on kusari gama techniques. one of the great masters of kusari gama was shishido baiken who fought a duel with miyamoto musashi (the greatest swordsman ever). baiken was killed in that duel.

kusari gama on wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kusarigama

that's what they tell you.

What they tell who? As someone obsessed with military history who has an absurd number of friends in the Marines, I can safely say I've never even seen the fact disputed on the internet or anywhere else. There are plenty of accurate references in both British and American historic literature you can look up.

Whilst some references suggest that it was worn on the uniform partially for aesthetic reasons, and partially for protection in battle, renowned scholars have disputed the fact that it was ever even worn in battle, since it limited the soldier's ability to move their head with ease. US Troops wore the uniforms 100 years before we ever sent troops to the Philippines, so the 'myth' is extremely doubtful.

What they tell who? As someone obsessed with military history who has an absurd number of friends in the Marines, I can safely say I've never even seen the fact disputed on the internet or anywhere else. There are plenty of accurate references in both British and American historic literature you can look up.

Whilst some references suggest that it was worn on the uniform partially for aesthetic reasons, and partially for protection in battle, renowned scholars have disputed the fact that it was ever even worn in battle, since it limited the soldier's ability to move their head with ease. US Troops wore the uniforms 100 years before we ever sent troops to the Philippines, so the 'myth' is extremely doubtful.

the descendants of the great moro warriors no the real truth, right diddy?

the descendants of the great moro warriors no the real truth.

The truth about what? Can't tell if you're pulling my leg or being serious..........

I'm not disputing that they might have done some throat slashing in the war, but when it's common knowledge that the term was around 100 years before the US Marines entered the Phillipines I don't see how there can be any argument............:(

These warriors should spend more time eating balut and less time making up stories.

The truth about what? Can't tell if you're pulling my leg or being serious..........

I'm not disputing that they might have done some throat slashing in the war, but when it's common knowledge that the term was around 100 years before the US Marines entered the Phillipines I don't see how there can be any argument............:(

These warriors should spend more time eating balut and less time making up stories.

old15.jpg

datu abdul says, "balitang kutsero, balik-harap!"

Don't know about you or PI yoyo warriors, but anything I'd try to hit anything with my yo-yo, the thing would go ballistic and won't wind up from the impact. Also, the myth of a yo-yo covered in sharp edges and blades is highly doubtful, how are you capable of catching it back? Atleast the Japanese chain and sickle wasn't meant for throwing (tho it could, and in ninja anime, looks really freakin' awesome).

ever seen this?

yo-yo_girl_cop.jpg

I can't read kana, title?

EDIT: Kiya linked to the wiki with his quote.

the reason i originally brought up the yoyo as weapon thing is because the yoyo looks a lot like an actual weapon ancient samurai and ninja used, called the kusari gama.

yeah, there's a great story in lone wolf and cub where ogami fights the guy with kusari-gama. not to dismiss another cool one in vagabond against baiken.

nerd (10)

yeah, there's a great story in lone wolf and cub where ogami fights the guy with kusari-gama. not to dismiss another cool one in vagabond against baiken.

nerd (10)

haha i recall sweaty palms reading through both of these

it would be rad to hang with musashi

i just wonder if the bit about him hating to bathe was true :confused: