Rick Owens Women F/W 07.08

Analog

PARIS, February 25, 2007 –

I was looking at the work of the French cartoonist Sens, who did caricatures lampooning Poiret women as insects," said Rick Owens backstage before his show. That just might be the most meta inspiration of the season, given fashion's current fascination with the great couturier. It's certainly among the most unusual, and it produced one of Owens' most precise and accomplished shows yet. Paring back on the decorative confections of his last collection, the designer played with volume and texture to create what he called simple, primitive shapes. But if his skirt silhouette—a draped jersey design with the hint of a slit—remained unchanged from the first to the last of his 35 looks, there was nothing simple about the show's jackets and coats. Among them: shaggy mohair cocoons with stiff, rounded leather collars that arced away from the collarbones in a graceful ellipse; sleek sheared-mink vests with twin lapels falling to the same side; and other toppers with stand-up collars-cum-hoods and rounded backs that looked like a beetle's hard casing.

The highlights, though, were undoubtedly the shearlings. With their nipped waists, exaggerated face-framing collars, and cutaway tails, they deftly walked the barbarism/sophistication line that Owens has made his calling card. You could complain that the show was singular in its focus on outerwear at the expense of all else, but with looks as smashing as Owens' shearlings, why bother?

Nicole Phelps

Now that I'm officially a Sister in the S.L.C I feel obligated to post more female-friendly content.

------------------------------

I think Owens' women's collections are consistently on another level compared to his men's. I also think he should be the costume designer if they ever do another Dune movie.

those shearlings are so disgustingly well cut. I saw them going on luisaviaroma.com for around 2000 euros. yeah, not getting one anytime soon!

I especially like the second to the last photo, the hardness of the leather jacket combined with the soft and flowiness of the skirt is a killer look.. I hope he didn't design those handbags because they are just ripping off the givenchy nightingale.

Rick himself looks a tad orange.