Helmut Lang Resort 2008

junglejane

I agree with the runway review that this collection is breath of fresh air for resort. I usually hate resort collections because they are so frivolous and use a LOT of pink and pastels. It's not much of a stretch to what HL usually does but I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. some of my favorite looks:

01m.jpg

19m.jpg07m.jpg

16m.jpg15m.jpg

12m.jpg05m.jpg

02m.jpg

mental note: get some nude colored sandals.

and so it begins... ;)

i really like the collection as a whole. the white/cream base makes otherwise simple pieces really pop, like...

846554591_b8b3b4aa2b_o.jpg

(my favorite along with the "peaked"(?) jacket)

i know all or most of our male superfashioners were pleasantly surprised at the new helmut lang, even if they're not picking anything up from the new HL based on principle, but what do the ladies think?

it's ok but it's by those tacky designers from habitual, the fabrics aren't that nice, and thus it's overpriced for what it is. it's theory with a more "designer" feel, numbingly bland interpretations of vaguely "avant-garde" designs.

if the brand succeeds the joke will really be on patrizio bertelli, the man behind the curtain at prada, for not making the company work with one of the great designers of our time.

I wish there were more injections of color here and there. electric blue inserts, bright yellow piping against the black... not in your face, but small details. but I guess it wouldn't be HL if it did.

It's nice, but what makes this "Resort?" The reason most other companies inject pastels, florals, and color into resort collections is to make them, well, resort-esque.

This is just another reason why I don't appreciate the new HL brand. They're obviously trying to stick to some avant-garde aesthetic and keeping the color palette to match, all of which do not really coincide with a resort collection in my opinion. It all comes off as gimick-y to me.

Not biased. I just look at HL differently than I would say, Ann, Chalayan, Raf, etc. I view the new HL like a would other bigger conglomerates. There are definitely some solid pieces in the collection (both men and womens) but it lacks a vision, a heart and soul which is something I appreciate from the likes of Ann or Chalayan.

Also, I have got the chance to view the line (Fall 06) in stores and the quality is sub par for the pricing and the clothes are Theory with a Helmut Lang tag on them. I guess I'm looking at it from more of a consumer point of view.

I wish there were more injections of color here and there. electric blue inserts, bright yellow piping against the black... not in your face, but small details. but I guess it wouldn't be HL if it did.

That pretty much describes the last 5 seasons of HL spring/summer under Helmut's direction. :confused: This is precisely what this new HL is missing, the mix of fabrics, colors, and textures in a very narrow silhouette.

it looks reasonably nice. i will even forgive them for lacking of colors for a resort collection (well, at least the styles and wearability fits for a resort collection, no?).

just that i prefer it to go without the helmut lang label, mr lang has got such presence that he simply cant be replaced.

i still have a few jackets and jeans from his past collections that still look good even til today.

No offense, but these statements seem somewhat forced and/or unreasonably (unfairly?) biased...

i am certainly upset by what has happened to the helmut lang brand. i am even more upset when they give such a great name to such pedestrian designers. i've also seen and tried on a lot of the pieces, and they feel just like theory with an extra pocket.