Fixed gear enthusiest...help please.

hello.

due to the high gas prices and the feeling of being extremely to reliant on a vehicle. also the feeling of being extremely lazy and the urge for excersize is at an all time high. i have always enjoyed riding a bike before I started driving and with the commute in and out of DC from Maryland. i think its about time to hop back on a bike.

im not trying to be heavily involved in the culture, i dont need the most outstandish bike, and i dont feel like paying $1000+ for a bike, im only a 20 year old guy tryign to watch my money and excersize in the same breath. i have to admit some of the bikes that I have come accross from people I have met or in gallerys are very appealing and at times look wonderful but thats for the long time lovers. I just need something reliable to get me around.

this post does not need to turn into an "i hate this or that" please. I just want to build something to my personality and have some help because appearently there are many fixed gear cyclist here.

any suggestions are welcomed.

thanks

^thanks england but the post seemed more for people who are already aware and filled with pictures. it was nice to look at but it doesnt say whats good to look out for or what parts do well etc. etc.

spacifics I am looking for in building a functioning fixed gear bike.

thanks though. guess ill read through anywho.

hmmm. well for a beginner I want to say around $3-400 sinse I cut down my expenses on material items (college student). sinse this is a personal project, it can unconsciously go higher know what I mean. out of all the bikes in the "bicicletas" post england mentioned, stuntastics bianchi bike speaks very loud to me. very simple and the aerospoke wheels look great. but is that what I need? doubt it. guess it depends on the rider.