Cutting your own hair

86'er

I was just wondering who in here cuts their hair?

I started doing this recently because I go to a barbers (I'm not bothered to go to styling salons) and I reckon I can cut just as good as them, if not better as they always seem to cut too short, then i'll have to wait till my hair grows so I can style it properly.

Anyone got any advice and tips etc? btw this shouldnt relate to the "Hair Products" thread.

PS: First post :D

Guest Goose25

I used to have really long hair and I worked out in the country in far-flung areas so I basically did my own thing and kept to myself. The lack of toiletries in these areas meant I often used/invented new methods; like, instead of a comb I used a fork.

After I cut my hair (read shaved my head) I bought clippers and did it myself. So to make sure I got it all I took photos of the bits I couldn't see with my mobile and then ran the clippers over again and hoped for the best.

These days being the hip groover I am I have my female hairdresser (read cute-as-a-button wife) run the same clippers over my noggin. That doesn't stop the odd do-it-myself weekend when she is away, but now I have a webcam to check the missed bits.

I've been cutting my hair for the past 4 years. I just take a clipper to it so nothing fancy. I've been meaning to get an "actual" haircut lately, but I always end up just shaving it again especially since the heat/humidity is really starting to pick up.

Cool, I use thinning shears and razorcomb things to cut my hair.

eh Roedo what type of razor do you use? do they give you that matt Asain'ish texture?

Razors you would find at an Art store or Hardware store. Matt Asian'ish texture? Haha...Yes I guess.

I just twist and chop, no comb, cheap work siccors. Been cutting my own hair for a while now and i like the results. But i have curly hair, so the whole uneven thing is not so much of a worry.

dont do full on cuts, but i trim my hair here and there. like if i dont like an area that my hairdressers cut or something, or my fringe is a bit long, just grab some haircutting scissors and whisk away.

I got an expensive haircut once back when I was in boarding school. It was around 60 bucks. For two years after that I just trimmed it every week just a bit to keep it the same as the cut basically...

I find that if you trim every 10 days or every week its easier to "cut" your own hair. Unless you shave or trim it was a trimmer .....

I cut my own hair.

The trick is to be deliberate without cutting too many hairs at once. Make sure you hack at it a bit, Dont make straight cuts, but try to work so unevenness into it. Watch a hairdresser when they cut, and you will pick up a lot.

Been cutting me own hair for years.....with patternmaking sissors. A buddy asked if I was growing a rats tail the other day....I must not have got right around the back properly. Now thinking, might just grow some hideous rats tail for the hell of it.

Assuming you don't get a too-elaborate cut this can really work. I used to do my own hair and the hair of most of the dudes in my frat house and get compliments on it all the time (even from ladies!). I would just buzz the sides and back with clippers and trim the top with scissors. The only caution is to resist the urge to cut too much; a few times I attempted to even out some rough spots and ended up with like no hair at all. Cutting your own hair is like fistfights or shopping: Every now and then you just have to walk away.

i use my straigh razor and cut a little bit at a time in small chunks, but not too small. if you cut too much at once it looks too choppy and blunt. if you cut to little at once you can't see any texture.

What type of razor do you use? i assume comb ones ya?

well if anybody lives in LA.

rudys barbershop is popular, they cut your hair well, and its $21 for guys.

went there once asked for a flattop and came out looking like a 20 sided die.

i reckon male haircuts shouldnt cost more than 9$, especially if its just "snip snip your done."

my hair is medium-ish length (fringe) and gets cut by me, first few times wasnt confident with the scissors but as all ways practice makes perfect. i only cut my hair just to keep it the same length and style, not to recreate a whole new hair style.

if your doing this all by yourself with no one watching out for parts you missed need:

thinning scissors: L_706_S.png

'normal' scissors

2x Mirrors (one you hold and the other one on a wall)

hair shaver/trimmer - if you want short hair

the way i learnt was by analysing the barberer and hairdressers i used to go to and imitate what they do. i cant explain the methods properly but ill give some advice:

when your actually cutting around i strongly suggest you cut small portions bit by bit untill you finished with the whole picture - like how a sculptor takes away small parts of clay instead of chunks.

you might take a while if its your first time 10-40min depends..

the main tool i use is the thinnign scissors and i "snip snip" all over the place since it 'thins/takes away hair' instead of chopping the hair off. i acutally hold up groups of hair in my fingers and cut that instead of just putting the scissors to my hair and cut.

for the fringe i use the thinners with normal scissors, its best to try cut the fringe vertically rather than horizontally as you can get more control.

the difficult parts are the back for obviouse reasons. you have to learn how to micromanage a mirror in your hand, a mirror behind you and a pair of scissors.

sorry to the guys with short/crewcut hair im not experianced to tell help you.

yeah... there you have it a shit tutorial on how to cut your own hair.

just remember to cut small areas smaller mistakes wont be noticed.

and do what you feel is necessary (eg .if this part of your hair is thick, thin it!)

if you think it looks shit dont worry it will grow back and you can try again.. or pay for your damn haircut.