Thai food in NYC

mikesduc

Zagat is one of the most useless guides around except for looking up phone numbers and addresses. An annual publication is just not up-to-date enough, and the people who submit the reviews are idiots.

Chowhound is more helpful - similar to SuFu and denim, you look at it enough and you will start recognize posters who have reliable and insightful information/knowledge. Thai is a popular topic on the Manhattan board so you will find multiple entries, here's one for example.

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/364800?query=best%20thai

I can't speak for the outer-burroughs, but for downtown, Thailand Restaurant (106 Bayard Street bet. Baxter and Mulberry) is pretty solid fare at very affordable prices. Also, if you are going to New York, it will give you and your twins a chance to check out the Chinatown area (if you havent done so already).

My personal favorite spot(s) for Thai are in Hell's Kitchen, called Wondee Siam and Wondee Siam 2. They do a fantastic job, great noodles, rices dishes and curries. I'd suggest W.S.2 for more ambience and space (as WS1 only has about 6 tables). Both are located on 9th Ave between 52nd and 56th. Not too far away from Time Square (if you are so inclined travel to that area).

http://www.yelp.com has good reviews.

what ^ said...

Corner of Baxter and Mulberry... good food, cheap prices... avoid lunch time on weekdays... usually packed with judges, officers and lawyers from the nearby Courts...

Right off mott st, pong shri. totaly great food, good prices, try the green papya apitizer, its really nice, as is the mock duck, but thats just me i guess, im not even a vegi, but i still end up going with it.

Zagat is one of the most useless guides around except for looking up phone numbers and addresses. An annual publication is just not up-to-date enough, and the people who submit the reviews are idiots.

agreed .

Chowhound is more helpful - similar to SuFu and denim, you look at it enough and you will start recognize posters who have reliable and insightful information/knowledge. Thai is a popular topic on the Manhattan board so you will find multiple entries, here's one for example.

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/364800?query=best%20thai

Thanks for the chowhound tip! Copletely agree on Zagat. That's why I asked here.