Umbro by Kim Jones v. Common Projects

jubei

Indeed. I really like everything about Common Projects. The quality is spot on as well as the overall aesthetic of the shoe. I cannot really compare the two however because I havent really examined the Umbros or tried them on. If you arent too picky about the shape of the shoe and design I would agree say that Umbros are a decent alternative since they are cheaper.

I wore a pair of Umbro leather hi-tops for about 8 months through the winter. They're a little chunky with tight jeans, but still look great. My only complaint was that the leather lost its waterproofness after eight months of trudging through Canadian rain and snow...but not many shoes wouldn't.

If you can afford it, get the CPs. If they seem too pricey, the KJs are a good alternative.

Guest jmatsu
Just by handling them, the cp's feel like they're hand made while the kj's feel mass produced. They are also much lighter than the cp's which lend to a cheaper "feel" if that makes sense.

very good comparison.

cps are made in italy.

umbrobykj is made in china.

if anyone cares umbro's soles are far more difficult to clean then that of commom projects.

yeah, I gotta say holding up a CP shoes is like holding a formal dress shoe... harumph, gonna have to think about it some more. Like all other luxury goods, the price point is at once off-putting and alluring (if that makes sense?)

Erm...I wish I had the super power to tell whether or not something was hand made by simply touching it. CP's do look a little more involved than KJ's but like trini there is just something off. I prefer Kim Jones.

EDIT: I forgot to add something that pisses me off about KJ. The sole has this slim piece of...i dont know what the fuck. If you dont wear socks, like Im not right now, sticks to your feet so if you move your toes it crumples up under them. Its fucking annoying.

Guest Airjamie

Oh wait, dude i totally thought there was a collaboration. This thread has a terrible title. Anyway, there is no fucking competition, CP eats kim jones for breakfast. Seriously, once you feel this leather and smell it and.......oh fuck these shoes are nice.........sorry....i just bought my first pait of CP. The materials on these are unbelievable.

I've only handled the Kim Jones Umbros, but I had some Common Projects high tops for a while. The quality was good, but I found the cut very uncomfortable. I was never able to break them in and got some nasty blisters. I ended up selling them off on ebay because I couldn't take it. Go with what's more comfortable.

I should point out that my grey leather high CPs were some of the most uncomfortable shoes to wear for the first week. You really need to be patient and break them in. Also you have to get use to the low/flat toebox. This could be uncomfortable to some people.

I think having to break in shoes is ridiculous. Your feet are one of the most important parts of your body. Function before fashion.

Only women walk around in pain to look good. Thats some bitch shit yo.