Non-Levi Produced LVC - Why so pricey?

Shorty Long

I've noticed that recently-produced 1947 501's are going for well over $200 on ebay. They are ones produced by 2nd-party manuf. here in the US after Levi shut down its final plants.

I would have expected the ones actually produced by Levi (even the ones produced in TX after the Valencia St. factory closed) to be worth more.

Am I missing something here? Does anyone know why they're fetching $50 over retail?

It is all about demand. If you got something and people want it, naturally you can demand 5 times the price. This could easily be called the "bape hoody effect", but thats just me...

Some Lee repros also fetch 200$+ where most of them usually only fetch 40-60$ a piece. A long time since I've seen any of them, though.

MAD YOUNG MAN

i was thinking the same thing. i don't think i can bring myself to it though...especially since i'll never be able to buy levi-made 47's anymore. that means something to me for some reason.

plus, the future of lvc always seems to be hanging by a thread

i'm just hoping that i don't hit a growth spurt or ever get any fatter...if not, i should be set for life in the jeans dept.

I saw some of the new deadstock 1947s this weekend (which you have to be on a waiting list to get at the SF levi's store) and they look weird. the denim is not grey cast and they look like preshrunk denim. also, the selvage seam isn't flat, on all raw LVC i have hadin the past (over 60 pairs) they all had a raw grey color and a flat ironed selvage seam. also, the valencia street ones have the inner leg seam single and double stitched, the new repros and the 554 ones have both of these seams double stitched.

Carpe Denim!

1112885282366_selvage1_edited.JPG

i have two pairs from the valencia st. factory, and the selvedge on one side of each pair is flat while the other side is folded...i've tried ironing them down, but to no avail.

all the rest of my '47's are 554's and they have a nice flat selvedge...also, i have noticed that the selvedge on the 554's is a bit wider than the 555's.

i saw a pair of the 'new' '47s on ebay a couple weeks ago. the guy selling them worked at the store in SF and said that they're part of the upcoming fall line, and for some reason they recieved an early shipment. i'm interested in seeing them, but i have a feeling that they won't be as nice as what levi produced...

he provided details on the rest of the collection...it sounds pretty nice...1930s theme, but said that a small number of the jeans were all that they received...the rest will be out in aug. as usual...he was supposed to send me scans of the new collection, but he never got back to me