tofu

Ahlvahroe

i was wondering does anyone know how to make tofu? i have seen recipes online but still dont get it i actually dont have any of the ingredients on hand right now so help would be appreciated but is not crucial

[edit]

can someone please move this to culture

What a coincidence, I just had some yesterday. Do you mean "make tofu" or "cook tofu?" I'm assuming you mean cook... I don't know if it's a legitimate recipe, but I was hungry and just found the ingredients in my fridge.

1 package of firm tofu (could be the soft kind too) drained, patted dry using paper towels and cut into small cubes.

Hoisin sauce

Eggplant cut into cubes or strips or slices, whatever shape you want.

Salt

Sesame oil (optional)

I fried the cubes of tofu for about 5 minutes in about 1/4 cup veggie oil over medium heat, added the eggplant and salt, cooked until the eggplant was really limp, then added the sesame oil and hoisin sauce. I cooked it for another 3 - 5 minutes.

Add broccoli, peanuts, or whatever you want. Nothing spectacular, but I liked it.

homemade tofu only has two ingredients: blended soybeans + calcium sulfate

making it, however, is the stupidest, most time consuming thing you could do. the cost of the cheesecloth you'd need to buy costs more than a block of it at your nearest health food store.

if you're still insistent, here's some good instructions. http://www.ellenskitchen.com/faqs/tofumilk.html

homemade tofu only has two ingredients: blended soybeans + calcium sulfate

making it, however, is the stupidest, most time consuming thing you could do. the cost of the cheesecloth you'd need to buy costs more than a block of it at your nearest health food store.

if you're still insistent, here's some good instructions. http://www.ellenskitchen.com/faqs/tofumilk.html

I agree. Don't waste your time. The only person I've met who makes his own tofu is a Buddhist priest.

Imagine trying to make cheese in your house... making tofu, although slightly simpler, is on the same scale.

my parents used to make cheese when i was a little boy so i know that that can be time consuming and not really worth the pay off. thanks for the link i will study it with my style of subdued intensity.

lol.

my Godbrother's wife makes tofu by scratch, and it's has an incredible texture, form, flavoring. But it's not something accomplished in one day, and I'm guessing people who do this kind of stuff have no lives because she's a Japanese housewife that makes random stuff.

If you still want to know how to make tofu, I could ask her the next time I see her, which is probably next week.