Top Posters In This Topic

critique a movie based on its face value

based on what it is

not what it falls short of

or what it is trying to be

its harder to do that

than to rely on external reference points

to base your critique around

You cannot ascertain the intrinsic value of a movie without proper reference points, which is part of the reason why, in the art world like everywhere else, not all opinions are created equal.

I won't comment on 300 as I won't see it and I'm not the intended audience anyway.

i never saw white chicks, but 300 is a soap opera for jocks. a bro opera. its all forced epic dialouge with insane musical build up to cheesy one liners. and then cut to epic battle carnage with heavy metal soundtrack. occasional hard nipples, also. lots of thinly veiled homoeroticism, of course. and i think a chugging contest or two.

go see now.

i never saw white chicks, but 300 is a soap opera for jocks. a bro opera. its all forced epic dialouge with insane musical build up to cheesy one liners. and then cut to epic battle carnage with heavy metal soundtrack. occasional hard nipples, also. lots of thinly veiled homoeroticism, of course. and i think a chugging contest or two.

go see now.

Dude, it wasn't just the movie, you just described Sparta.

Fuck, there were 10 or odd so bros outside the theatre doing the "who who who" chant after the movie ended.

I would love it if they were doing the 'who who who' chant and they were shown the end credits where the Spartans were doing homo-erotic naked blood slapping, swopping spit like the Spartans really do. The 10 or odd bros will looks down at their shoes as if they discovered the Diamond of Hope on it and slinked off.

Corbin law is right. Beast and the guys sucking the dick of the graphic novel have no real point. Who cares if it's not true or perfectly true to the graphic novel. If the movie isn't good then who cares? For all i know the graphic novel could've sucked, but now people aren't allowed to like movies like that because we don't understand how true to the original it is. Who cares if it's true to the original or exactly to history. Beast doesn't even seem to know the history behind this anyway so i don't know what he's talking about considering he seems to love gladiator which has to be one of the more historically inaccurate movies that hit the big time.

Historical accuracy does matter with certain movies like Gladiator and the hbo series Rome. However, with things like 300, it's not supposed to be realistic or anything. It's just supposed to be a really violent over the top movie that people like because it's based on a graphic novel(which most people use as a crutch to like movies because it was based on something). I'll see it, but i'm just expecting a blockbuster type violent movie that better entertain me for 2 hours.

I have already said you cannot expect any Hollywood film to be historically accurate. Troy wasnt, Gladiator wasnt and I bet Alexander wasnt as well.

You can like whatever film you want. You can like Anaconda for all I care and show it on a repeat run on your wedding instead of your wedding photos.

My point is that 300 is not a good flick. Historical or not. Based on comic or not.

As for keeping you entertained, some people find a repeat film of a man being struck in groin with a football, entertainment.

i guess leonidas never heard the saying "don't shoot the messenger."

;)

So Leonidas deserved to get whacked. Although in his defence, the messenger insulted his wife and impliedly threatened him by bringing the skulls of dead kings with bejwelled crowns still intact.

I have already said you cannot expect any Hollywood film to be historically accurate. Troy wasnt, Gladiator wasnt and I bet Alexander wasnt as well.

You can like whatever film you want. You can like Anaconda for all I care and show it on a repeat run on your wedding instead of your wedding photos.

My point is that 300 is not a good flick. Historical or not. Based on comic or not.

As for keeping you entertained, some people find a repeat film of a man being struck in groin with a football, entertainment.

I enjoyed this post a lot considering you were angry with me.

Showing anaconda on repeat instead of wedding photos is the best idea i've heard all day. Also, a man getting hit with a football in the groin works on so many levels. +rep for anacondas and simpsons references.

is a soap opera for jocks. a bro opera. its all forced epic dialouge with insane musical build up to cheesy one liners. and then cut to epic battle carnage with heavy metal soundtrack.

This is the reason i was really skeptical about seeing it. I figured it would be like this. I don't have time to go to the theater anyway next week. I'll probably netflix it this summer.

I enjoyed this post a lot considering you were angry with me.

Showing anaconda on repeat instead of wedding photos is the best idea i've heard all day. Also, a man getting hit with a football in the groin works on so many levels. +rep for anacondas and simpsons references.

Glad you caught the Simpson reference.

And no, I am not angry with you.

............................. .........................._-~"xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

.................................................. .~"xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-,

................................................,-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

...............................................xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

.............................................xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

............................................./xxxxxx : : ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::xxx|

.......................................---.xxxxxxx,': : ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::xxx

....................................../,~-,"xxxx : : :: :-~~~-----_:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|_

.....................................|.|: : :\xxxx : : : ,-': :-~~~---_: : \: :|::,':::::::::::::::|:,'

......................................\\/: : :xxx : : ::::::,-~~~~--,::::::,': :|:": :-~~""¯": :|/

.......................................\\: :::xx: : : ::::::::,-~"(¯¯)::::::::',: : ::_-,~~,-,:: : |

........................................\:"~-'xxx: : ::::::¯¯¯¯¯::,':::::::::: ::'~-'----'--'::::;|

.............................._-~""¯\:::::',xx: : ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: : : "-: : :-~': : |

.................._-~""¯;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;'~,--xxx : :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::',: : : : : : : ,'

...._-~~"¯¯¯;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;|xxx::::::::::::::::::,'::/::::::::::::::\: : : : : : /

~";;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;|: ,xxx::::::::::::::::/:::"~---,:::: : : ): : : : : /

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;| : :xxx::::::::::::::/:::::::::::¯"""""¯|: : : : : /~-,_

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;\ : : Xxxx::::::::xxxxxxxxxxx: |: : : /;;;;;;;;"~-,_

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; "-,: Xxxxxxxxx:,-',-~~~---,\: :/: : /;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;"~-this Is Spartaaa!!!

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;"~-,xxxx::::::::/:/:::::::::::// : :xxx;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;"~-

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;\:xxxx:::::|:|_:::::::://: :xxx;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;"~-

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;xxxx:::::|:|: ¯""~// : X;x;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;"~--_

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;xxxxx:::',"~----"/ : X/;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;:\

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;xxxx::::¯¯¯¯: Xx;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;|

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;,';,~":"xxxxxxxxxx;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;|

;..;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;|;'-,::::::::::xxx|xxxxxx;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;|

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;|:::"-,::::::::|:xxxxxx;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;|