Number (N)ine FW07/08 Mens

FootlooseSF

I'm not feeling the leggings. The styling isn't very good IMHO. I quite like the patchwork blazer in the last pic and the waistcoat on the second last look. Not feeling the boots but the one pair of sneakers are pretty cool. The hats are quite similar to what Neil Barrett did, that Amish flavour. Oversized hoods are always good. I may go into more detail later. I'm at work.

Hate the leggings, loving the muted-grey-goth-cowboy-ranchero aesthetic. Love the bolo ties.

Would love to wear this shit but you pretty much need a head-to-toe (ie off the runway) outfit for it to really work. Otherwise you'll just look like a dumbass.

you pretty much need a head-to-toe (ie off the runway) outfit for it to really work. Otherwise you'll just look like a dumbass.

i think this statement applies to most of Number (N)ine...which is the one thing I don't really like about the brand. Each season there's some nice pieces here and there, but for the most part I can't say i find his vision very refreshing.

The styling makes it look interesting, sometimes in person the clothes come across as a bit gimmicky.

Hate the leggings, loving the muted-grey-goth-cowboy-ranchero aesthetic. Love the bolo ties.

Would love to wear this shit but you pretty much need a head-to-toe (ie off the runway) outfit for it to really work. Otherwise you'll just look like a dumbass.

I disagree, I like it much better when you have an otherwise very clean and subdued outfit but one piece that sort of throws it off kilter, i.e. wearing just a pair of distressed boots or just a jacket, ala TG with her n(n) boots or Lowrey, although Lowrey does wear the admittedly more quite pieces as well.

I always think of this raf simons look:

rafaw05-06.jpg

Something about the one element that makes the whole thing slightly off-kilter is very interesting to me.

Something about the one element that makes the whole thing slightly off-kilter is very interesting to me.
Ha, wearing suits with big clunky strappy boots is exactly what 28 year-old ex-goths wear when they're trying to look snazzy and subversive. And nine times out of ten it doesn't work at all (although I do like that runway pic).

I actually think it's a LOT harder to pull off a mostly-clean outfit with one flashy piece. IMHO, it's a lot easier to look cohesive when wearing weird shit from head to toe. Of course, it can be done, and it does look good when you do it right...

sort of as an aside, I find it interesting / amusing just how "goth" a lot of designer fashion is. Now, if only we could get the hot goth girls to start spending $3500 on their outfits, goth clubs would be so much better.......

Servo : I think looks like that Raf example only work in an art directed environment.

Ha, very true. I didn't necessarily mean with a suit, per say, that was just an example of the one-piece throwing a look a different direction. It's more like plain raw jeans and a plain white shirt and a black cardigan, except with beat to death Number (Nine) boots. Tangerine sort of did it as well, with the very SF-esque whole look except with the Demeulemeester skulls. I'm trying to make myself more clear, but it's difficult since I can't really find any pictures of what I'm imagining.

Anyway, we're kind of running a tangent here.

I think I know what you mean. I tend to think of it as creating a kind of tension by introducing - not necessarily a contrasting element - but just something that will activate the overall outfit. Sometimes its overt (big military boots with a suit), and other times its a subtle little surprise (AD skulls).

Ha, wearing suits with big clunky strappy boots is exactly what 28 year-old ex-goths wear when they're trying to look snazzy and subversive. And nine times out of ten it doesn't work at all (although I do like that runway pic).

Ahahahahah, that's exactly what I thought of too. Hey, maybe those 28 year old ex-goths are more fashion forward than you think. ;)

the thing about N(N) is...it's a very derivative label. i think it was faust in the other board who made a good comment about this...miyashita isn't really a designer.

No, he's very much a stylist. While he may have runway shows, what he's really doing, in my mind, is supplying product to people who already have an aesthetic they work with. People aren't generally looking to the new n(n) collection to see what's going to be big next season, or what's trendy. What they will look for is new pieces that they can work into their outfits, that is generally based on the Number (Nine) "aesthetic."

He's more like Supreme, who release product to "skaters" or the Superfuture set, who aren't looking at Supreme's line to inspire their overall looks, but to sell them individual pieces to create them. It's more about getting "the new supreme / Number (Nine) shirt," than it is about seeing the new Raf Simons silhouette, for instance.

i actually think you're right. i think he's focusing about catering people like us with pieces of clothing that may fit or build a specifick look or outfit. i believe he's not much of a stylist compared to other designers but he thinks of individuals who already have already have an aesthetic for clothes.

when i was in japan in july 06, the N(N) was pretty much sold out at Isetan...but the only guys i ever saw wearing the stuff on the streets all seemed to be trendwhores who were mostly rockin the graphic tees.

i'd like to see someone pull off the more dramatic pieces like the leathers, or some of the more flamboyant tailored jackets.

• 11 months later...

Has anyone seen the Black coat with armpit holes from the f/w 2007 collection? It has arrows and tons of fashion-forward ornamentation. Can't find a pic of it online.

It looked nice and i was considering buying but i think it might be too over the top/runwway to wear with regular stuff?

Anyone who has seen it have any opinion?

It was like the image below, i think (maybe this one?) but with holes cut in underarms and arrows pointing up, under the chest pockets (maybe they aren't visible in this pic?).

I like (N)ine but they are always sold out of my size, so I almost just lept on this piece just cuz it fit well!

00240m.jpg

No, he's very much a stylist. While he may have runway shows, what he's really doing, in my mind, is supplying product to people who already have an aesthetic they work with. People aren't generally looking to the new n(n) collection to see what's going to be big next season, or what's trendy. What they will look for is new pieces that they can work into their outfits, that is generally based on the Number (Nine) "aesthetic."

He's more like Supreme, who release product to "skaters" or the Superfuture set, who aren't looking at Supreme's line to inspire their overall looks, but to sell them individual pieces to create them. It's more about getting "the new supreme / Number (Nine) shirt," than it is about seeing the new Raf Simons silhouette, for instance.

well said servo...