H&M to launch 'Upmarket' Range

Servo2000

H&M to launch 'Upmarket' Range

Amanda Gore in Brands, Industry Informer

Due to be announced this week, Swedish retailer Hennes & Mauritz are planning to take on the upmarket high-street stores with the launch of their new chain, provisionally called Cos.

Increasing competition from supermarket clothing ranges and trend-right fast-fashion offerings from value retailers such as Primark has led to flat sales for H&M, and the company have decided to follow in the footsteps of their rival Zara who have seen positive results from their upmarket brand, Massimo Dutti.

The first UK branch of H&M's new chain is scheduled to open at Easter in the old Liberty store building on Regent Street, with other outlets opening in Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands.

http://fashion.psfk.com/2007/01/hm_to_launch_up.html

Personally, there's no H&Ms or Topmans near me, but the idea that a more expensive version of these stores would bring more success in the current market is intriguing. Perhaps a reversal of the trend towards cheaper-fast-fashion? Unlikely, it still seems, for whatever reason.

Your thoughts?

Zara can get away with doing something like this because most of the stuff they make is pretty high quality. Also, their client base is (I would guess) a little older and a little less "fast fashion" focused. H&M, on the other hand, has horrible quality across the board, and their target client is between 14 and 21 years old.

Who knows, maybe they can pull it off, but they'd better make sure what they're selling is high quality.

Sounds bad to me. They'll make more money probably, but from a different base than the one on the forums. Most of us feel that if we're paying $150-300 for something, we'd rather buy a different brand. I'm dissapointed because I don't have an h&m near me and would love a chance to get some cheap stylish outerwear and basics that they have. Kix's m65 and the leather jackets i've been seeing on people look nice. I like the denim jacket i saw there when i was in new york but i'm not standing in line to buy something on 5th avenue in december. Hopefully they work it like the v&r stuff and still keep some cheaper versions around.

I think it's a stupid move on H&M's part. The higher end fashion market is already crowded and I don't see how they're going to differentiate themselves. As a lower-end clothing retailer, they're going to find it hard to gain credibility when they upstretch. Even with a different brand name, its going to be hard to establish ground. Why change the formula? H&M has already carved itself a nice niche selling trendy clothes at affordable prices. The quality of the clothes were great for what you paid for and the quality was there for a reason. It gave them a competitive advantage by having fast turnaround from clothing design to the store shelves. They really should just focus on expanding H&M instead. I know people down south where I am would love a store like that here.

I'd say not only is Zara generally crap, H&M is usually also a lot better.

Style wise, sure. But quality? Anything I've ever had from Zara has lasted and lasted, I've had several H&M shirts that have literally fallen apart after 2 washes. Just my personal experiece I guess. The point I was trying to make is that joe consumer probably things of Zara in higher regard than H&M.

But what the fuck do I know, there isn't an H&M within 2000 miles of my city, and the closest Zara is in another country

I have heard from others that H&M quality was sub par compared to Zara however in my experience it has been the opposite. The fabrics appear to be equal however the stitching and construction seem a bit better for H&M. However Zara cuts are superior to H&M as are the prints. Most of their long sleeves are cut slim with back or front darts.

i heard that h&m are expanding due to higher than expected figures over the past year

and i agree that zara is probably better in quality of fabric and construction than h&m, so it will interesting to see what they offer.

i think they might do more collaborations, but if they do, i hope they spend some more money on each piece, because their stellar, v&r stuff looked nice, but didnt last.

word. I think it's pretty far from the truth pulling out that Zara has some superior quality compared to h&m or any other "low price fashion brand" as well.

Gonna have to disagree with both of you on this. I utterly despise 95% of the stuff in H&M. I have never found anything that doesn't fit like a box (my significant other contains that this is always the case with the women's clothes as well), they never use any unique/interesting materials, and their construction is always flimsy and cheap. Whilst Zara is no master of quality, they still make great garments, are very fashion-forward, and offer great fitting garments, to say the least.

Either way, this is a stupid move on H&Ms part. It works for Zara because people know they have great designers and ideas, and with Massimo Dutti, they take these ideas and make them in a better quality. H&M on the other hand recycles junk and provides simple wardrobe staples...no one needs a stripey tank top for $60 made by H&M's "high end" brand. Now of course Zara steals most ideas from current popular designers/fashion trends but they are always on spot. For instance, the other day I was in Zara and saw a pair of men's slouchy suede boots, meant to be worn with pants tucked in. This hasn't even come to be yet in most of Europe/US (been in Japan for a while) and they are on top of it. What does H&M have in this scope?