stretching one-wash denim?

denkmal

waddup board, its my first post!

today my 1966 canes arrived. not only the nicest pair of jeans i own, but probably the most expensive item of clothing in my whole wardrobe. thanks to the superfolks here for turning me into less of a slob.

anyway, i am anxious to start breaking them in and whatnot. im a little confused about them being one-wash, though. is there still any point in a pre-soak? im assuming not, but i would like to stretch as much length out of the legs as i can.. the waist is fine though (tall skinny bastard). could i expect to get any more length out of them? to stretch do i need to actually *soak* them first, or can i get away with just thoroughly drenching them in the shower and then pulling on the legs?

Typically you will get very little stretch out of the legs as most stretch happens naturally over time and the leg length never really sees that much stress on it.

Also no matter what some may tell you, you will want to wash your jeans, in which case if you did stretch the legs they will go back to very close to their original length and possibly shrink in length a bit.

I would say if you have a length issue return them and get a longer leg and deal with hemming.

How much length do you want to stretch out of them?

great advice all.. i knew this was the place to get my questions sorted.

they are marked a 30x34, but actual measurements are 29x33. got em from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220049637319&rd=1&rd=1

ideally i think id like two or three more inches on the legs. as they are, when i sit down my socks show about a half inch (wearing low shoes or sneakers). this doesnt bother me as much as it might bother others, and i dont mind keeping them. but i think for my next pair i will find something longer. otherwise the fit is as close to perfection as ive ever known.. and it can only get better!

if i do try to stretch them, would it make a difference how long they had been soaking first? or would a quick but thorough drenching under the showerhead yield comparable results?

and is stretching by hand the best method? i imagine myself yanking and flailing around.... but im not all that strong. :P

great advice all.. i knew this was the place to get my questions sorted.

they are marked a 30x34, but actual measurements are 29x33. got em from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220049637319&rd=1&rd=1

ideally i think id like two or three more inches on the legs. as they are, when i sit down my socks show about a half inch (wearing low shoes or sneakers). this doesnt bother me as much as it might bother others, and i dont mind keeping them. but i think for my next pair i will find something longer. otherwise the fit is as close to perfection as ive ever known.. and it can only get better!

if i do try to stretch them, would it make a difference how long they had been soaking first? or would a quick but thorough drenching under the showerhead yield comparable results?

and is stretching by hand the best method? i imagine myself yanking and flailing around.... but im not all that strong. :P

You won't be able to get them to stretch that much, I was thinking you wanted another 1/2 inch maybe. Also how tall are you? It is perfectly acceptable for your pant legs to move up when you sit down just don't let them swish when you walk (that means too short). Actually a perfect classic fit with out a cuff or stack would show at least a half inch of sock. Anyone who would bug you about a half inch of sock showing has no idea about fashion and or clothes should fit. Somewhere kids got this weird idea in their head that their socks can never show otherwise their pants are too short. By the sounds of it I would not worry about the length but be careful washing and drying you don't want them to shrink.

Unless you are going for a specific look (such as cuffing or stacking) don't worry about your socks showing a bit when you sit down, just buy nicer socks.

don't worry about your socks showing a bit when you sit down, just buy nicer socks.

haha. nice. whats stacking? i think im a bit over 6'1". like i said, im not that concerned about the sock thing, but a couple more inches might help bunch up the leg for better honeycombs. ;)

ok, so now im imagining an attempt to stretch them, where i run a rope through all the belt loops and tied to a sturdy hanger. then i somehow attach 10lb weights to each leg at the bottom.. although i havent quite figured that part out yet..:confused:

don't do it.

your just gonna make funny belt loops

If you did want to do it. cut 2 2 foot peices of 2 x4 and then use quic claps to clamp the whole top of your jeans evenly in them. then use the same clamping method for each pant leg.

the 2 x 4 at the bottom could have weight attached to them.