Macbook vs Macbook Pro

BOORADLEY

definitely the macbook pro. i own one myself. the 15" one. and it works like a beau. everything runs smoothly. unlike my friends' macbooks. they lag at times. but then again it might be because of the macbook pro's superior storage space. 65+ gigs is ALOT. thus you might wanna get the macbook pro instead of the macbook.

if you got the funds, pro is the better choice since you're gonna want the biggest resolution possible if you're gonna edit pictures.

also it's pretty nifty to have a dedicated graphics card if you decide to play game or what not.

a big plus is that pro has aluminum casing, macbook just have plastic, which is rather cheap.

basicly what separates them is that pro has a larger screen, better casing and dedicated gfx, otherwise they're almost the same, since you can bump the macbook up to 2gb of ram and to a 200gb hard drive

A Macbook will handle Photoshop just fine unless you're doing some hardcore work with gigantic images. Either way, you'll want plenty of RAM... you'd be better off spending money first on maxing out your RAM before spending money on extra processor power when you're throwing around big images.

If you ever want to use AV programs like Final Cut, Logic or Pro Tools then you really, really need a Macbook Pro though, as they make lesser systems cry themselves to sleep.

Oh, and don't factor in the aluminium finish as a plus point. Take it from a Powerbook user that it's about as durable as... something that isn't very durable. It even slowly wears off at points of contact when the screen is closed.

Since the update on the Macbook Pro with the Core 2 Duo with 2GB standard on the high end 15" model, I would say MBP all the way. With a dedicated GFX card, it'll be right and proper for the spring when CS3 drops. :cool:

I use a Black MacBook and I highly recommend that you get one. It is far more portable and it will turn more heads than the Pro.

love the black books but im going to need something functional too! ugh tough call but i think i will go pro. otherwise i just can tell i will regret it down the road.

i was in the same exact situacion like two months ago...

i ended up getting the lower pro 15" and i actually wish i got the higher one

i run photoshop and illustrator right now with little or no lag

idk what ur budget is, but definitely go as high-end as possible

if not, youll regret it

it's almost Dell like.

I would disagree. It's aluminum encasing has been present since it's inception after the TiBook--in fact since the name change and switch to Intel, the MacBook Pro has kept the exact same enclosure with its smooth aluminum, except for the extra margin on the top of the screen for the built-in iSight.

my macbook lags with photoshop/illustrator because it's running thru emulation from the power pc versions. i'm sure if adobe had intel versions it'd be fine.

Rosetta is the software you speak of. And yes it is slower, but also know on the upside, the latest 10.4.8 OSX update has seen marginal improvements of up to 25% in Rosetta when emulating PPC apps such as CS2.

love the black books but im going to need something functional too! ugh tough call but i think i will go pro. otherwise i just can tell i will regret it down the road.

Good call. As awesome as the MacBook looks, feels, tastes, whatever, I've worked in Apple for long enough and gone through enough research to acknowledge the shortcomings that come with the consumer end line.

But to each his/her own. MacBooks functions well, it's just better for a power user or someone going to be a power user to jump for a Pro model.

hey sorry to jack ur thread

but, ive been thinking hard about getting a macbook pro recently. i have an ibm think pad atm the moment and tbh im pretty bored with windows.. slow.. virus prone etc. has anyone recently gone from a windows comp to a mac with only having basic user experience?

also with the macbook pros.. do you pay $100+ for the black one just for it being black or does it have extras?

thanks in advance

FedEx delivered my white MacBook today.

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 13" screen, 2GB ram, and 80GB hard drive.

I actually chose this MacBook because of the merit of the smaller screen - I travel a lot and don't need to carry the extra bulk and weight.

Very sharp...coming from a 2 yr-old, 15.4" Toshiba Centrino. The Tosh seems like a monster next to this sleek, ivory slab.

However, I don't use photoshop.

also with the macbook pros.. do you pay $100+ for the black one just for it being black or does it have extras?

You get a 120GB internal HDD over the 80GB version. That is all. Oh, and the right to call your MacBook a BlackBook... if you'd like.

you dont need the pro, unless you are a photojournalist/sound/video editor/animator etc. the normal macbook is a very powerful machine, so will be enough for what you need...

Exactly. It's more powerful than my 17" Powerbook, which is more than powerful enough to run whatever I throw at Photoshop.

I've been a windows user since always and my girlfriend has been a mac user. I've started using her pro and it is very user friendly even for a beginer with NO prior mac experience.

hey sorry to jack ur thread

but, ive been thinking hard about getting a macbook pro recently. i have an ibm think pad atm the moment and tbh im pretty bored with windows.. slow.. virus prone etc. has anyone recently gone from a windows comp to a mac with only having basic user experience?

thanks in advance

I just copped the 15" C2D Pro a couple of weeks ago and I love it. I was messing about with the MacBook in the store, and just hated the keyboard, the tiny screen, the glossy coating (definately not good for editing photos!).

The Pro has some bitchin' speakers, and the bump in processor speed, HD capacity and RAM with the new line means you're actually getting something for the money.

Course, you could always get a MacBook and spend the extra cash on an external monitor, keyboard, etc...

ultimate macbook in white is 1449, black is 1499... black is a $50 difference.

if you're just using photoshop, an ultimate macbook would be fine for most photo editing and retouching. you can get the macbooks with a 200 gig drive and up to 3 gigs of memory. if you start to go beyond that with complex layered files, you're going to need the graphics card, faster processor and the memory space the macbook pro has.