Osaka or Fukuoka?

conroy

I travelled to Tokyo last year and I had a blast. This year I want to go back to Japan and I'm trying to decide if my destination should be Osaka or Fukuoka.

I hear nothing but good things about Osaka, how it is the "LA" of Japan (if you see Tokyo as the "NYC" of Japan).

My friend lives in Fukuoka, so the upside to this is that I would get free lodging. Other than that, I don't really know anything about Fukuoka. My friend seems to like it a lot though.

Any advice on this matter? Shopping, entertainment, sight...anything cool in general? Thanks!!!

ps. I'm a BIG shopper. =)

osaka seemed more like the baltimore of japan to me. then again i was only there for 1 day/night. however unlike baltimore, osaka totally has a fun nightlife and excellent food.

all i know is that fukuoka is the ramen capital of the world.

you should consider hiroshima too - ive heard only good things about the town.

osaka seemed more like the baltimore of japan to me. then again i was only there for 1 day/night. however unlike baltimore, osaka totally has a fun nightlife and excellent food.

all i know is that fukuoka is the ramen capital of the world.

you should consider hiroshima too - ive heard only good things about the town.

Ha hah. If the people, food and nightlife are completely different, then how is it like Baltimore?

I liked Osaka ALOT. Loved the America-Mura region as much as Harajuku and it was definitely more laid back than Tokyo. I wouldn't plan an entire vacation on just going there though, unless of course you are going to hop on the very short train ride to Kyoto, etc. There was a girl from Fukuoka at the hostel I was in in Tokyo and she told me that Fukuoka is boring as hell.....so take it from a native :D

it reminded me of baltimore because walking around in both cities feels like youre in a depressing concrete wasteland. of course every sizable city in japan is like that more or less, but for whatever reason it was more striking in osaka for me.

Hmm, I see. I thought Osaka was beautiful myself.....Did you get to explore all of it?

i agree with england. osaka > fukuoka. well i stayed in osaka for a month and was only in fukuoka for a day. but osaka is closer to other stuff if you get bored with osaka.

not sure if the shopping is better or not in fukuoka, they have a big mall is all i can remember. wish i knew a store was there while i was there but it slipped my mind. but osaka has mostly everything shoppingwise- i liked shopping there more than tokyo (much more pleasant experience). and you can hop on a train to kyoto for some more (ok) shopping.. and kobe has some ok shopping.

Hmm, I see. I thought Osaka was beautiful myself.....Did you get to explore all of it?

sadly i was only there for a day...certainly cant say i explored all of osaka or even most of it. i will def be back there for a more extended stay at some point bc the food and nightlife is fun, but honestly from what i saw of it i wouldnt really call it a beautiful city. just my limited and underexposed opinion though.