china :: taipei :: general

Tropiculp

• 1 year later...

There are a lot of good places to check out in taipei. I know some japanese brands have stores in taiwan but I forgot some of them that opened up there....

Anyway these places seem pretty damn cool. I will definitely visit them next time I'm in Taiwan:

http://www.freshnessmag.com/content/features/files/1104/goodchoice/index.php

http://www.freshnessmag.com/content/features/files/0205/riotstandard/index.php

http://sweemie.com/summit.htm

There is a map on the summit link that shows the nearby stores too.

Edit: You should check out the 45rpm stores in Taipei:

http://www.45rpm.jp/shop/list.jsp?id=foreign

Edited by super on Dec 10, 2005 at 08:04 PM

• 3 weeks later...

The night markets are pretty cool for food and souvenirs. I checked them out the last few nights.

The only bar/club-ish type place I have been so far is Coyote and it is pretty funny/bad with lots of girls singing American (and some Chinese) songs. It is funny, but probably not worth the money for most people.

Are there any clubs or bar recommendations?

I'll give a full report with what I find later...

Thanks!

chrizbot

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi I'm currently in Taipei right now and was wondering if there're any reputable places to hem my jeans here because I'd like to start wearing them ASAP cause I'm going to be here for another couple weeks. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

PS. I'm staying in the Da-an district (I think that's what it is), which is a couple minutes away from Ximending and the Tokyo 101

Holy god man, there are tailors and seamstresses on every block in Taiwan, and anywhere else in Asia for that matter. If it is a simple hem, you don't need anyone "reputable." Take it to the local tailor and I am sure he will do it while you wait for less than $5.

• 1 month later...

howdy geezers,

any recommendations? nothing flash, nothing crap.

I am only there one night, so if anyone knows of anything half decent for under $100 a night that would be ace.

Or - something totally amazing that is worth spending up on ...

Thank you all muchly in advance ...

where exactly in Taipei r u staying?

there are heaps of stuff to check out in Taipei, they do also have a Bape and Undercover store too if u r interested

other than that there are the usual places that resells kicks, jeans, etc what ever

cheers dude, will have a look at the link

really will only have one day to have a shop, and after three months travelling before I get there funds may be a touch low - still, i'm keen to have a gander at what is on offer - def will have a look at undercover

oh, and flying in and out of Chiang Kai-Shek airport at 9 at night ... I remember my parents saying traffic is killer, so dunno if it's better to stay somewhere near there and get the bus/ train/taxi into the city in the morning

thoughts from locals in the know?

cheers again

well, the airport is approx. 45 minutes away from the city area (non-peak hr traffic) and there is absolutely nothing around the airport

so i reckon as soon as u get off the plane, get urself a taxi or bus into the city, i recommend u reading a travelling guide for more details

• 1 year later...

theres a possibilty that I will be in taipei for a couple nights on my way back from the philippines in january (im flying EVA) does anyone have any general suggestions for the city? links? places to buy cheap stuff and eat good street food? will a filipino american boy get by not speaking a lick of mandarin?

also any suggestions for a decent hotel that ISNT the hyatt near 101 ?

thanks!

I just checked - we stayed at a ropey old hotel called Paradise - 39 quid a night

it did the trick however, we were only there two nights

the transport system is really good, so it doesn't matter too much if you are out in a cheaper area

oh, and go up 101 - pretty amazing.

edit: re language, I only speak English (badly at best) and was sweet

My friend just flew to the PI last night and has stop-overs in Taiwan as well. The Sogo area on Zhong Xiao East Road is probably a good place to be. Mostly young people and great food and shopping for miles. Most of them can speak a bit of english as well. If not, hand gestures always works.

Also, the night markets are a must. Deals everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
any ideas as to parties/clubs that are foreigner friendly?

Luxy, on Zhongxiao Dong lu (zhongxiao east road)

are night markets hard to navigate or order from for an english speaker? also anyone suggest any good local clothing brands?

night markets should be pretty straight forward. some places might get really crowded and kinda crazy on specific nights though. lots of food, clothes, and random shit. definately check them out.

as for local clothing brands, not sure what style you're into... theres a pretty big streetwear scene there though.. the only local brand that pops in my mind is Scenic, but the store is too hidden in the depths of Ximending.

map.jpg

if you have time, just explore the blocks in the middle of this neighborhood (around the center section of this map). TONS of boutiques (many not named on this map), and graffiti art :P

• 4 months later...