First post and a jean search

bart1

I took the time to read through much of the forum and the stickys while I was waiting on my account to be activated. Tons of great info here. I live in a shopping wasteland here in rural Alabama, so good fashion info is hard to find. Most of what I have learned has been online, though I have never found a place for jeans nearly this good.

Right now I am looking for a pair of raw denim blue jeans. If Helmut Lang still made them in low rise boot cut, that's what I would do. Right now, my inclination was to go with Dior Homme, though I really don't like them as well. I have a pair of DH raw black denim jeans that were made in Japan. I think they are supposed to be more desireable than the new Italian ones, but I still like the Helmuts better. I like the minimal markings on the Diors, the pocket scar, and the fit is pretty good. I don't really like the "latch" instead of the top button, as well as the unmarked rivits & buttons. Seems like the HLs have better detail.

I don't have any other raw denim, but I have or have had a couple pairs of HLs (As mentioned), couple PD&C, Levi's premium, Deisel, Buffalo........

Looks like Acne and Nudie are popular here, would my money be better spent there? The Diors I was looking at were Brut model and $235. What else would you recommend for that price or less? I would consider more expensive jeans, but will balk at the price.

Thanks for any advice!

-Bart

Three little letters I always advise newbies..

"L.... V..... C" !!!

Best value for money for a starter / project jean in my opinion, in a variety of cuts. Apparently they're not that easy to find in America so you may have to use online again.

Others advise Nudie and APC to start with, at reasonable (ish) prices.

I'll check for the Big Es, but not sure. How can I tell what they are? I go to Birmingham Alabama and there are a couple good stores there. Saks and Shaias. Both great stores, but what you would expect in denim: Seven, PD&C, True Religion, Edun, Earnest Sewn...... Never seen a pair of raw denim ones here. I was in Osaka in July and that's the place to shop ;) I think the best jeans I saw were Comme De Garcons raw denim.

-Bart

How about APC's? They're not bootcut, but relatively cheap, pretty well-made, and seem to look good on just about everybody and you get a nice selection of cuts and you can make your own decision on how to wear them. If you look around supertalk you can see guys wearing them super tight, loose, cuffed, stacked, halfway off your ass with honeycombs all the way up the back of the legs (kixslf) cutoffs, etc. The indigo falls quickly and nicely on them so they make a nice starter raw denim too. Though they're not highly detailed, I think that is one of their plus points, which is that they have a longer shelf life than something fancy and over-detailed.

I'm not really a collector, I just want to get one great pair of raw indigos and wear them in. Are the Diors worth the money? I don't know the LVCs, I'll try and look them up. I have heard of the APCs, though I don't know a good place to get them right now. I can get the Diors easily and with a return poilcy in case the fit isn't right. I would be going blind into most of these other brands.

^^

Are the Diors worth the $$?

-In my opinion they are, but if youre just starting out you may want to try APC as well. I have 2 pairs of Dior and a pair of APC...the APCs dont get worn all that much, because I reeeaaally like my Diors. You might want to go with the 21cm cut if you do opt for Dior as the 19cm are alot tighter and wearing jeans this tight takes some getting used to (both physically and mentally) so if youre not acustomed to it they might turn you off initially, but I dont really know how you like your jeans to fit....

Also, if you can get the Diors w/ the option to exchange why dont you just try them and if you dont like them just return em and try APCs, Julian Red, Acne, ect. ect

N

The Diors are still my best option at this point. The ones in particular I was looking at is these: http://www.eluxury.com/browse/product_detail.jhtml?styleid=10973260&SectionID=7000

Remember, I have one pair of DH. They are the Japanese raw version and are not nearly as fitted as I expected. They are the 21cm versions.

And just as an aside, I have gotten the most compliments from a pair of too loose, real thin PD&C jeans. Low rise, boot cut, fairly distressed.

as an aside, the number of given compliments one receives isn't a necessary indicator of the quality, fit, style, etc. The jeans I get the most compliments on are a crazy washed pair of true religions, and a lighter pair of earnest sewn hutchs, while I would rate them at the bottom of my jean collection personally. The fit/cut/look that the general populace is accustomed to in a "stylish" pair of jeans is (imo) a far cry from both the anti-fit of many of the Japanese levi's repro that are often lauded on this board, as well as the skinnier fit of the dior hommes you seem to be inclined towards. That being said, I still get compliments when sporting my almost-too-tight downsized 45 rpms, or my punked out pair of Dsquared tapered leg jeans, and I almost feel like these compliments are the ones I value most, since it seems to indicate a level of familiarity with denim above that of the common norm. Or maybe I just like the compliments more because they mesh better with my actual taste in jeans...who knows... Bottom line...get what you like, both in fit and appearance. To echo a few of the concerns already voiced, if this is your first pair of raw denim and you plan to follow the many suggestions on this board as to how to care for them, it might behoove you to buy a pair of raws from a cheaper brand to get an idea how the process really works, and then once you've worked in that pair to your satisfaction (or to where you begin to realize how it progresses), then splurge on the somewhat spendy dior hommes. However, if money isn't a huge object, or if you find yourself obsessing over those diors, then get them...it will probably be money well spent.

Amen.

That is good advice. It sums up everybody else's, adds a touch of your own, and still acknowledge that the final decision is his.

Oh, also, I don't know who this guy is

( http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/showthread.php?t=14106 ), but someone's on the supermarket selling Levi Skinner Premiums, some Rigid, saying he might get different sizes for $90 shipped. I think that's a good way to start.

I'd like to know what route you eventually took.

I didn't know you could get APCs for that much. That IS cheap.

I like the Levi's though. I just ordered a pair of the rigids online that were on sale at an online store and I thought it was a good deal at I think it finally came out to $97 with S/H.

Just goes to show you, check here first, whatever you want in jeans.

Three little letters I always advise newbies..

"L.... V..... C" !!!

Best value for money for a starter / project jean in my opinion, in a variety of cuts. Apparently they're not that easy to find in America so you may have to use online again.

Others advise Nudie and APC to start with, at reasonable (ish) prices.

i just had a friend like this, i started him on some APCs he was also close to getting some selvedge levis, but ran out of money

I actually have a pair of Levi's remium Skinner in black. Extremely low rise and big bootcut. Mine is a thin material.

And I DO have raw denim. It's also Dior.

I'll order something in the next few days and will post my choice here. Thanks for the advice & discusssion.

I have looked around at some other options now. Found an old pair of HL raw denim and I like Skull Jeans, as well. Wish I had some idea to comparative quality or how these brands fit. I know basic sizes for Dior and HL, but no idea on Skull or APC or whatever.

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered some Skull 5010xx. They are waiting on stock. Shinichi was FANTASTIC to deal with! Sent me measuring charts and sizing for a few different models. Also, I am going to get them unwashed, as opposed to the one wash state they are usually sold in.