45RPM's BC4000 Denim

wild_whiskey

Here's a link if you've never heard:

http://www.45rpm.jp/denim/detail.jsp?id=004

Does anyone know if other denim companies use this effect? Basically, they use a heavier weight thread on the warp, and a lighter weight on the weft, and I'm thinking there might be other companies (Nudie, namely) that use this technique but do not have a specific name for this. However, since I've never seen 45RPM jeans in person, I can't confirm if they do use this unique way of keeping the heavy weight texture with the comfort of light weight jeans.

I ask because I recently acquired some Nudie Reg. Ralf Dry Selvage jeans, and despite that they were the dry denim, they were extremely comfortable to put on. The weft was very soft against my skin, and I'm thinking that perhaps the company that manufacture's Nudie's Selvage jeans uses the BC4000 technique. This would also explain why the denim feels exactly like 14 oz on the outside, but is listed as a lower-weight denim (13.5oz I believe).

A 13.5oz denim will feel very similar to a 14oz denim, basically because the difference in weight is quite small. Bear in mind that few denims weight exactly what they are listed in ounces, so there may actually be less difference between two fabrics than the 0.5oz listed on paper.

ie. One may be listed as 13.5oz but actually be 13.6oz and another denim may be listed as 14oz but may be 13.9oz etc.

If you compare a 10, 11 or 12oz denim to a 14oz, you will feel the difference.

Whilst 45rpm may use an exclusive denim for their 9oz (not least because they like to use natural indigos), but otherwise, lighter-weight denims are common. Early Levis (circa 1870s - 1920s) were made in 9oz.

I agree though, the Nudie Dry Ralfs feel soft. They're nice jeans.