because i'm a supernoob

tweeds

does anyone know how to recover files that have been deleted from a disk? i moved my whole folder from a removable hard drive to my internal drive, and then discovered that in the process i've lost alot of invoices and excel files that i need. i don't even know how they got deleted, if anyone could tell me how to work this out i'll give them a wash all over with the sugarcane denim soap.

p.s. that's supposed to be a good thing btw.

no, like a small 40gb external hard drive, actually. i'm not even sure where the damaged data resides, on the removable drive, or my computer's hard drive. i've tried downloading some software but they're don't seem to be able to do shit..

If you have not done anything immediately after it, in the folder parts, you could try hitting ctrl+z in the file explorer to see if it will undo...

also check the clipboard and recycle bin. Erik's figuring out how to get to it...

first and foremost: do not use the partition/harddrive that used to have the files you have lost, if you do, ie write new files to it, move stuff around, it'll mess it up and make it (alot) hard(er) to retrieve the deleted files.

try to find a tool for retrieving lost/deleted files, there are several out there and most of them cost money to be usefull. most of the programs have trial modes etc but usually you can't retrieve files, just see what you CAN retrieve if you buy it. :(

i'll check around for something nice, give me an hour

pardon my english skills btw (or lack thereof)

cool. gonna check out "hirens boot cd" i found laying around and see if old school "lost&found" will work. dunno about functionality with ntfs volumes and such... (i'm assuming tweedle's using windows xp)

edit:

ok hirens boot cd has some tools for recovering lost/deleted files, i tried a couple of them and they worked fine. it's freeware too. direct link to .torrent file: http://tinyurl.com/ha6xk

info on the torrent and what the bootcd does/contains: http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3500550

the problem is, i don;t know whether the files were lost from my external HDD (E: drive), or transferred to my C: drive and then lost. and i can't hold off writing to C:, since my brothers need to do their work and it's my system disk, etc etc. damn.

thanks beefcake and keska, i'll try both your fixes and see how it goes. would an engineer be able to help me out in this area? maybe the computer whizzes have some supermachine to rescue my files.