Washington, DC...trendy city or not??

trigonomik

i'm saying the rent in the spot you'd have to put it at (georgetown) would be hecka expensive.....you have a handful of dc kids and maybe some kids from va beach and richmond who would spend money there. tourist don't go to DC to go shopping, the shops they do have there get stuff way after it's been dropped. being from around that area, i'd rather drive to philly or nyc to get tight shoes then deal with the douche bags that live in DC. Plus the nightlife there is blows

sure I’d shop there depending on what type of shop you are trying to open. But me and a handful of kids shopping there is not going to pay your rent…..take a look around the shopping area of DC (Georgetown) and how many independently owned places do you see? (retail wise)…...Why? b/c rent there is insane. Only places like Urban Outfitters, coach, Lucky, etc can pull in enough money from the conservative Georgetown/AU students and the tourists to make it there. (i'm begining to think places like smash have rent control) Also, what type of shop are your trying to open? I mean do you have connections? If you want a, say specialty sneaker shop, you can’t just open a store and think that companies are just going to send you fly shit. And if you did get it, you’d probably mark it up high b/c the closest specialty shop is in philly (actually there is one good place in VA beach, but it’s not really a specialty shop) so, my theory would be to drive the 4 ½ hours go to NYC and be able to hit up a few shops instead of just one, go to some good art spots, eat good food, etc. But I do think it’s something you should look into, DC needs cool spots, I just have little hope for it. But I no longer live there, and when I do visit the parents I only go to the city to meet friends for dinner, go to shows/bars (the few cool bars/venues they have), or to get my conservative brother a gift.

K.A.T.U.N.G.A.S

Judge...I definitely feel where your coming from. I think DC is definitely in need of more cool spots which specialize in hard to find/exclusice sneakers, clothing labels, etc. As far as getting those connects so that one may be able to receive those "exclusive" goods, kicks in particular, I definitely know that its all in who you know. I mean really what do you recommend someone do for starters?? I mean I'm just a student right now myself, but what can I do...I cant just flat out ask folks. I mean should one start to make trips up to NYC and other places to research stores??? or start finding out about wholesale prices from stores???

I think that there are plenty of things to do in DC, but it is different from the rest of the big metros in the US for sure.

Things to do:

I honestly think it is a lot of fun to go to the mall (grassy area around the Monument for those who don't know), and just chill with friends. That is also a great place to have a picnic. Museums are also pretty cool.

Shopping:

Georgetown is definitely the place to go to find unique stuff. Tyson's Corner Galleria, and Montgomery Mall in MD are both fairly upscale malls where you can find more common things. I live in NoVA, so when I go to G-Town to shop and eat, I usually park at Springfield Metro, and ride the Metro to GWU.

Eating/Drinking:

Old Town Alexandria has quite a few nice restaurants, pubs, and bars. King St. is the place to be there. In DC proper, I highly recommend Capitol Grill and Third Edition. DuPont Circle, although it is the "gay" section of DC, also has some cool bars.

Clubs:

Depending on your music tastes, Dream, Platinum, and Fur are good clubs in my opinion. Dream and Platinum are dress-to-impress mega-clubs with multiple music styles in each one, and Fur is the place to go for electronic music.

Get Familiar.

do you skate? why would you want to open up a store like supreme if you don't skate? are you a shoe nazi? if no, then why would you want to open a specialty shoe shop? are you just opening a business to make money or are you into shit? and if it's the latter, what shit are you into and you take it from there. that’s where you make your connections. if it's just to make money then open up some j crew like shop and cater to the person who posted above me. as for shopping in NYC, yes supreme has some cool shit (it's over priced and over hyped) but there are like four cool sneaker shops near supreme. plus they have a head porter and a bape, and countless other stores that carry tight shit. good places to eat, good record shops (DC lacks this, if you're into music, this is something you should think about, not to be a dick, but it really doesn't sound like you are into fashion), and a good nightlife (bars close late, smoking ban is lame.) And NYC isn't nearly as overpriced as other cities.

and regarding that post. first off, all the clubs you listed are cheeseball. going there is like going to a 7th grade dance only with drinks and non-fashionable sluttish gear (and you have to pay like 50 bones to get in). I don't know why you have to stress DuPont is the "gay area" of dc. were you always under the impression that fags can't have a goodtime? maybe DuPont gave you a wake up call that not only can they have a better time then you, they also look better doing it. capitol grill food sucks, they have a decent happy hour, but it's hard to stomach due to the herbs that hang out there. I personally can't think of any "unique" shops in Georgetown. nothing I would drive out of my way to go to. pretty much every shop you find there, you can find it or a store that carries the same items in one of the malls you listed (or the countless other malls in NoVa). NoVa is the worst place on earth. the only place to find "unique" shops in DC is in DuPont.

if you want good food, here is where to eat: Lauriol Plaza (good Mexican and great swirles), Pizza paradiso (g-town and DuPont) and vace (best pizza in dc), thaiphoon (best Thai in DC, also one in NoVa), woodlands is good but udupi is better for southern Indian food, and the sunflower is a good vegetarian joint, georgia browns is alright has a good brunch, tonic is okay, I don't eat meat but the palm is a good steak house (my friend is the chef there) and you always have ruth chris, blackies is another popular steak house......and there is always ben's chili bowl, potbelly and booeymongers for cheaper eats.

bars: blackcat, galaxy hut, saint-ex, red, dc9

shows: 930, blackcat and dc9

clubs: red, five

shopping: drive to new york

Edited by judge on Feb 26, 2005 at 07:26 AM

You seem to be a very judgmental figure here in this thread. For starters, I dont skate, however I am a sneaker fiend. Same goes for fashion as well. DC already lacks the type of stores in which people like myself can go to get speacialtyy sneakers, as well as up and coming/independent labels. By NO MEANS would I open a store of this nature just to gain profit! So in your words, I am into this sh*t! Just gotta start making some connects!

Secondly, I would say that all of the clubs that have been mentioned as nightlife hotspots are just those. Honestly, I wouldnt even compare some of them with others for the simple fact that many of them cater to totally different cultural backgrounds! So calling them cheeseball, or ridiculing the fashion of those that frequent them, is definitely not cool and uncalled for! Nonetheless, they are all worthy of a visit for those headed to the DC area anytime soon.

http://www.gureala.com

a. a store like that could definitely thrive in dc. some of the wildest sneaker collections i've ever seen are in the closets of district natives. georgetown would be a natural choice for a storefront of that ilk. look at cady's alley...dwr, bulthaup, poggenpohl, ligne rose, etc...all stores found within blocks of ny institutions alife (rivington), supreme, union (rip), clientelle, nort, and nom de guerre (the right environment). relish is a good example of how a decent clothing store (coat, comme des garcons, y, rogan, paul smith, etc...much more high $$$ than a store of the nature that you're talking about) can do well in georgetown. dc is in definite need of a good shoe store...the dtlr's and sport zone's rarely have gems and they are always packed with people. this type of store could survive easily in a variety of neighborhoods...adam's morgan, dupont, penn's quarter/ china town, 14th st corridor...honestly...i stop in philly just for ubiq and there is definitely a lot more to do in dc than in philly. you'd have a much easier time getting good accounts b/c the market isn't congested for a city the size of dc...you would have the whole share.

just do it!

b. all clubs are whack in the us...you need to go to canada of overseas to escape this.

c. quit playing yourself katy... 2 AMYS is the best pizza in dc.

RHFIV

if you think dream is a worthy nightspot to hit while visiting DC then that goes back to my very first post that DC sucks (which also should have been your first clue that I am in fact a very judgmental person)........secondly, if you have money to open a specialty shoe shop then I suggest you talk to the shoe herb who has dropped some knowledge on here for you. He is right, there are amany of kids in the DC area who have a good shoe collection, but they did not buy these shoes in DC (maybe sports zone a few years back). Those are the kids you want to have shopping at your shop, kids who are willing to drop 600 dollars on a pair of sneakers. (Which aren't the kids who hit up the spots you seem to like, those kids would rather drop 20 bucks on a drink when they could be putting it towards a decent pair of jeans). <---I’m only guessing this b/c that seems to be where I struck a nerve with you.

and lets be honest rob, a) the Japanese girls hitting on you in Canada was partly due to me and B) I don't take advice from a vegan when it comes to eating pizza.

But that is one thing DC does have decent restaurants. I suggest you expand your palate beyond TGIF's blooming onion rip off and experience them.

K.A.T.U.N.G.A.S

ha...true. a vegan might not be the right person to talk to about food/restaurants. but let's be honest: who do people call when they want to know what's up? don't lie. next time you're in dc, go to 2 amy's. you will smile and say, "rob IS always right". i promise you.

ps- sports zone can still be the shit. in the last year i bought multiple pairs of shoes for $19 (premium blazers, all safari colorways, etc.)

RHFIV

DC is a great place to chill, people are more aventurous about living in less-gentrified neighborhoods. When I head down there it is mostly for a house party... Folks are chill, embassy folk and the like.

But the shops? not sure if there are any good ones. Every once in a while I will see a cool looking shop, but I forget where it was since everything is so spread out.

The Saks mens shop is nice, ( Saks in Philly doesnt even have a mens dept) but not sure what else there is aside from the chains?

Wash DC: good city, not sure good shops

DC is definitely not trendy. Its real conservative and boring on the most part. The energy of the city is not even close to a NYC or Miami. Your options are pretty limited as far as nightlife goes if you aren't into the big ass clubs mentioned above or the euro spots.

I disagree that the you need to go outside of the US for cool clubs. I think the clubs in Miami are dope as hell.

• 4 months later...

about what to do, u should first research the demographic ur tryna reach and see if its a profitable demographic in the dc area. i'm form the dc area but dont live here anymore except for holidays and sometimes during the summer. there is definitely a demand for a Supreme-like store in dc--there always has been--but only with certain niche markets. my experience has shown me that the most dedicated sneakerheads are most often gogo-heads too, and the market for the boutique labels of gogo-fashion has always thrived (the market itself, not always the labels). i can name countless stores and even more lines that have taken turns being the "fashionable" label of gogo. and the clientelle is willing to pay $65+ for a tee and 150+ for a sweatshirt. I think that now that the SB craze is hitting dc, the fact that its so hard to get sb's in the dc area adds to the hype of all the other labels that can be associated with sb's - supreme, et al. (i'm only sayin supreme cuz its one of the stores u listed). but like i said, its about demand and what's "hard-to-find" in nyc might be relatively "unknown" in dc so u wouldnt make any money unless ur bringin in stuff for more than jus a label. if ur a student and u live in dc right now u might wanna talk to the ppl from Up Against the Wall. they cater to the trendy urban clientelle in dc but they always try to bring hot stuff to dc. the problem is that it doesnt always sell. i've found countless deals (70% off and more) at the Up Against the Wall outlet of labels that wouldnt be able to stay on the shelves in nyc or the left coast at retail price.

and judge is right, rent in dc, especially if ur lookin around wisconsin and m is gonna be ridiculous, but thats no reason to stop. i would think to find a spot near but not right at the area where ur tryna set up shop and do marketing with the ppl. word of mouth is always the best way b/c it makes ppl think they're part of an exclusive club.

so its all supply/demand demographics. a boutique store like supreme or dqm would be cool, as long as it is able to balance hype and demand and survive for more than 2 years

its about demographics and demand. supreme-like stores have been in and around dc for years but they revolve around the gogo music market. same goes for the sneaker culture. they're both outgrowths from the gogo market just as supreme and the sb craze come out of the skateboarding culture. so yeah, it would be cool, possible, profitable, etc. u jus gotta kno what ur doing.

ps - i had written a long ass response to this, but i lost it. dont kno how.

Bo knows your girlfriend.