supreme vs stussy

Guest dontcaretoomuchforcrap

Supreme is more 'hyped' for a ton of diff't reasons, but to me, hype aside, they are a stronger brand. Despite the fact that I could not care less about most 'street' brands, I do like Stussy. It's just that with Stussy, they make so much stuff, so many diff't pieces. The stuff of theirs that I like, I really like, but then there's a whole other portion of their line each season which just does nothing for me.

With Supreme however, I am seriously into a huge percentage of their line each season (apart from their t-shirt designs, but I don't really ever wear screened tees anyway...although i love the rammellzee tees!). Pants, Jackets, Sweaters, Shirts...I like how most of the stuff is understated, but with unique features and really nice attention to detail. They've basically got 2 sides: military and athletic...and imo they do both really really well.

I can't claim to have been into them forever or anything, and I don't actually have much of their stuff...I only really started checking them out in 2001, shortly before my first and only visit to the store. What I saw in the store that time totally blew me away (fur-lined 3-in-1 M65 jackets, caps, bags, shoes by P&B, downlows...all the materials on their hoodies, shirts and pants were really thick, etc...and somehow the red box logo for the tag looks really basic but sets things off nicely). Not to mention the store itself is sick. And while that time seems to have been a peak time for their designs and quality, each season since then they've always managed to impress me w/the new things they come with. They've just got this great, distilled-down aesthetic.

And being a skater, where they're coming from with their history doesn't hurt either.

Anyway, forgive me if I sound like an idiot!

Looking forward to seeing what's dropping for the Spring line!

Edited by rhythmandsound on Feb 13, 2005 at 08:46 PM

Word to rythmandsound. I agree 100%. The thing with Supreme is they are ahead of the curve. When you look at their designs, you can tell that they aren't trying to interpret what everyone else is doing and give it their own edge, you can tell they are 100% original and come up with dope shit that noone else would. The fit and quality of their clothes is unparalleled. I'm not a label whore, I usually rip the logos off most my clothes. I love Supreme because it's "simple, yet striking" Extreme attention to detail, supreme materials, supreme design, the name says it all. I would have to say that if there was one brand I could be clothed in everyday for the rest of my life, I could get everything I need at Supreme. I've never worn a nicer jacket/shirt/backpack/cap. Everything is just perfectly my style for the most part. Stussys too japanese "look at me" flashy designs. I like subtle, high quality shit. Being a skateboarder also gives you that extra love you can't buy with Yen. I also can't wait until the eBay re-selling hype dies down and more skaters show love. I was watching KIDS at LEAST once a day back in the sixth grade!! word to Harold!

IDonTcare

prolly the wrong post.....but i drove by supreme this weekend and noticed that the dj honda store was papered up along with supreme....possibly supreme is taking over the dj honda retail space? as i never really see anybody buying dj honda shit it oculd be a possibility....and in that case..there's still hope for a bowl inside! as far as supreme VS stussy......supreme has much better qaulity and design....but without stussy there would have never been supreme....tough call...i personally like supreme more...but my stussyXlowealpine backpack blows anything supreme has ever released out of the water as far as quality n detail.

Quote:

Word to rythmandsound. I agree 100%. The thing with Supreme is they are ahead of the curve. When you look at their designs, you can tell that they aren't trying to interpret what everyone else is doing and give it their own edge, you can tell they are 100% original and come up with dope shit that noone else would. The fit and quality of their clothes is unparalleled. I'm not a label whore, I usually rip the logos off most my clothes. I love Supreme because it's "simple, yet striking" Extreme attention to detail, supreme materials, supreme design, the name says it all. I would have to say that if there was one brand I could be clothed in everyday for the rest of my life, I could get everything I need at Supreme. I've never worn a nicer jacket/shirt/backpack/cap. Everything is just perfectly my style for the most part. Stussys too japanese "look at me" flashy designs. I like subtle, high quality shit. Being a skateboarder also gives you that extra love you can't buy with Yen. I also can't wait until the eBay re-selling hype dies down and more skaters show love. I was watching KIDS at LEAST once a day back in the sixth grade!! word to Harold!

--- Original message by UnhappySupremeCustomer on Feb 14, 2005 02:24 PM

I can tell that almost all of you don't even know how and where Supreme got it's identity from. Do you even know that a lot of their work especially in the past is based on the work by the artist Barbara Kruger? Even the box logo is a direct copy of Barbara Kruger's work! But of course they won't call it a copy since it's actually a tribute to her. So how can Supreme be 100% original?

sorry futuretalk...old news for me..the barbara kruger connection isnt some mystery....as for " So how can Supreme be 100% original?" look at hip hop and dance music sampling....they bite other peoples work in order to create something original...hence the hip hop connection that supreme has...supreme is original in it's own way and it does have great designs...of course, in my opinion, the groundwork for supreme was laid out by stussy.

sorry downwithianbrown...but my post wasn't meant for you. It was a reply to that unhappysupremecustomer. Anyone with half a brain knows that Supreme is not 100% original.

Yes, of course popular culture i.e. hip hop or any other thing can't be 100% original...at least not all the time! it's called innovation. Also happens to be the thing the Japanese are incredible at.

by the way sorry...wrong word. Shouldn't have used the word innovation. Wrong word...I always tend to use that word when describing something that was created from something that already exists. Whether it's a concept, a product or anything and then by modifying it or combining different existing elements or completely new ones to arrive at something new and different. As opposed to something completely created from scratch which is totally original and unlike anything that ever existed.