20 Year Goods

ChadR

It's "Puerto Rican Day"-eve here in Spanish Harlem, so I'm staying in and watching objectified.

I've been thinking about my role in consumerism (I work in advertising) and I don't really want to be part of it any more. I'm starting to become more conscious, I imagine that everyone else on here already is, about how I consume and am deciding to join those who intend to buy things right, and buy them once.

Here are the things I have that I won't have to replace in 20 years, and the things I'll be hoping to add.

Things I bought right the first time:

AllClad 10" frying pan (the copper core one)

Alvin Drafting Pencils

Brooks Brothers Ties

Silver cufflinks (engraved with initials)

[i have a long way to go]

Future Purchases:

Chef's knife (custom)

Vintage Vespa

Filson Duffle

Upper end Headphones (maybe these: http://bit.ly/mdfsIg )

Dress shoes ( something from http://blog.leffot.com/ )

Remmington 870 Shotgun

Buying food and clothes, (and books) might not stop, but I'd love to make everything I can.

I'd love to hear your plans/thoughts/etc...

pencils? ties? for 20 years?

funny man.

My purchases:

º jaeger lecoultre navigator mark 11

º toj custom leather horsehide

º hand-made leather journal

dunno, 20 years is a long time. while i'm hoping my limmers last that long, it's highly unlikely. my bag has been on for 5 years but 20 is definitely stretching it...

• 2 months later...

This is a really good thread idea.

Things I own that I want to last me 20+ years:

-All my Allen Edmonds

-1960 Honda Super Cub

-My tools (hand tools, air compressor, etc)

-Most of my furniture

-Cast iron pan (gets better with age)

-My pens (pelikan, omas, montblanc)

I hate disposable/temporary things. I want to start buying more items that get better with age, wear, and use. This is tough with most clothing, however.

I'd easily be able to get a car to last me 20 years, if I kept them long enough. I buy only older cars, but switch them up frequently. I always sell them in better shape then how I buy them, however.

Griswold (everything, even my teapot and trivets)

Duluth Pack manbags and luggage (I urge you to look into these in lieu of Filson bags)

Filson/Pendleton shit

G Loomis

Ping Eye 2

Atari 2600

Aqua-Clear aquarium stuff that has 6w consumption and is 2/3 of the way there.

F-250 with bulletproof/legendary 7.3 Power Stroke

Negotiating on a Kawi ZL1000

Stay away from interference engines in your cars, unless you drive what I drive. They are disposable and costly.

Stay away from interference engines in your cars, unless you drive what I drive. They are disposable and costly.

^^

This isn't necessarily true.

I'd just stay away from BELT driven interference engines. Most interference engines these days are chain drive and can last a very long time, like VH45DE's.

Some electronics I will keep forever, others are difficult.

I own just about every piece of videogame hardware released in either the US or Japan since the mid-1980's. Almost all of it is boxed/complete, and all of it is functional. This is like 70+ systems and a couple thousand pieces of software, and I will keep it as long as I'm alive.

Cell phones and shit, not so much. I do keep all my old ones though, in the boxes they came in, but I beat them up pretty bad.

^ True, the chains really help! They can still break though, but yes rarely. Still a catastrophe if it happens.

Do you happen to know how diesel car engines run the timing? I've been wondering about that. In my truck, it runs off of massive interlocked orbital gears, no belt or chain to speak of. It would be pretty badass if baby diesels ran the same way.

1. Buy indestructible bench-made chromexcel boots

2. Post 300 macro photos of them on sufu

3. Wear them for a week

4. Sell on supermarket

.. But in all seriousness, I like this thread. Other last-forever things: A Steelcase tank desk, and a Sansui 9090DB receiver. Both will outlast me. The tank desk will outlast armageddon.