Hem & Haw Denim

chapital

I picked up a pair of Hem & Haw jeans a few days ago and I thought some of you guys might be interested in checking them out.

I bought the narrow straight pair in a 28"x32". My normal size in Nudie is 28, and I'd compare this cut to somewhere between a Slim Jim & a Thin Finn. Medium waist, narrow legs, with no taper below the knee.

How they fit on me:

015fm.jpg

023zp.jpg

033ob.jpg

Just the jeans:

045pr1.jpg

053rk.jpg

065ic.jpg

(Sorry the photos are kinda shit, had to take them inside 'cause it was hell overcast).

I've only worn them for a day so far but I'm really happy with them. This is now the best fitting jean I own (and the skinniest too... so tight it hurt at first!).

The only downside is that the denim and construction is not great quality. The denim itself is very thin, and some of the stitching is already coming out. However, they were only $90 AUD so I guess you can't expect some high quality japanese selvedge for a price like that!

So far the only place I know that stocks them is Bobby's Cuts in Melbourne but the store owner said he's working on getting international stockists.

I think these are gunna wear in really quickly so I'll post updates when I start to get results. I'm pretty stoaked with them so I just hope they don't fall apart after a few months!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

UPDATE:

I thought I better change my recommendation for sizing.

Originally I thought the sizing was roughly the same as for nudie, but I've found the haws haven't stretched much at all (nowere near as much as nudies). Consequently they're still SUPER tight on me and the top button actually broke last week :(

So, I say size up 1" from your nudie size. (That's what the guy in the shop told me but I just didn't listen... damn...)

Peace Out!

UPDATE:

I thought I better change my recommendation for sizing.

Originally I thought the sizing was roughly the same as for nudie, but I've found the haws haven't stretched much at all (nowere near as much as nudies). Consequently they're still SUPER tight on me and the top button actually broke last week :(

So, I say size up 1" from your nudie size. (That's what the guy in the shop told me but I just didn't listen... damn...)

Peace Out!

so really just telling us we should avoid these jeans altogether? i mean the top button broke, stitching coming off and shitty denim?

sign me up!

so really just telling us we should avoid these jeans altogether? i mean the top button broke, stitching coming off and shitty denim?

sign me up!

lol, I wouldn't quite put it like that. I think the top button breaking is really my fault 'cause I just bought them too tight... seriously, they were hurting my stomach when I wore them. (I bought them after I'd lost like 7 kilos but I hoped they'd stretch out as I gained my weight back... they didn't). I'm pretty sure the top button woulda stayed on if I had gone 1 size up.

As for stitching coming off, nothing major has happend (it just looked a bit shitty and loose to me when I first posted this thread). After about 3 months of near everyday wear, the only real damage is the top button, everything else is fine.

And yeah, you guys are right, something with better denim would be better. I just bought them for the fit 'cause my APCs stretched out way too much (I shoulda read that damn APC thread!) and looked ridiculous after I lost all that weight... so I just bought 'em while I was waiting to get some Imperials.

However, I still really like 'em for the fit... I mean, they are what they are; people wouldn't complain that Cheap Monday are shit quality for the price... they're cheap jeans. I'd put the Haws in the same category as CM.

If any of you guys can tell me where I can get a better quality pair (in Melbourne) that fits me like that and isn't some $410AUD diors then please educate me, 'cause that's what I wanted all along.

anyways, I still like 'em! BAM!

lol, I wouldn't quite put it like that. I think the top button breaking is really my fault 'cause I just bought them too tight... seriously, they were hurting my stomach when I wore them. (I bought them after I'd lost like 7 kilos but I hoped they'd stretch out as I gained my weight back... they didn't). I'm pretty sure the top button woulda stayed on if I had gone 1 size up.

As for stitching coming off, nothing major has happend (it just looked a bit shitty and loose to me when I first posted this thread). After about 3 months of near everyday wear, the only real damage is the top button, everything else is fine.

And yeah, you guys are right, something with better denim would be better. I just bought them for the fit 'cause my APCs stretched out way too much (I shoulda read that damn APC thread!) and looked ridiculous after I lost all that weight... so I just bought 'em while I was waiting to get some Imperials.

However, I still really like 'em for the fit... I mean, they are what they are; people wouldn't complain that Cheap Monday are shit quality for the price... they're cheap jeans. I'd put the Haws in the same category as CM.

If any of you guys can tell me where I can get a better quality pair (in Melbourne) that fits me like that and isn't some $410AUD diors then please educate me, 'cause that's what I wanted all along.

anyways, I still like 'em! BAM!

Hey there matey,

I have the exact same pair in 29 waist (I wear 29 in Nudie).

My observations on the jeans have been much the same as yours (thin denim, stitching coming loose, etc.).

I was out maggoted the other weekend and when I woke up the following morning and I realised the top button had popped off.

I brought them back to Bobby's and the dude put a new (larger) button on. Like you, I probably should have opted for a size larger.

In terms of getting a quality pair of jeans in Melbourne (at a reasonable price), I still can't fault my Nudies. Check out some raw indigo in either Thinn Finn or Super Slim Kim for a fit that is similar to out Hem & Haw (I wear Slim Jims in Dry Black but I got the legs tapered in a little so they fit like the kims).

Hope this helps brother.

I brought them back to Bobby's and the dude put a new (larger) button on. Like you, I probably should have opted for a size larger.

Sweet! I guess I'll taken 'em back to bobby's cuts too and get a new button :) Thanks for the tips! :)

Well, i guess the consensus is that Hem & Haw is bad quality (like I admitted to start with). So if u want cheap good fitting jeans get these. If you want your buttons and stitching to stay where they're supposed to then go for something of better construction :)

• 10 months later...

My friend's interested in getting a pair of these jeans. We saw them on a girl in a pub the other day and she's looking for some new skinnies. i suggested some Lindas but...

anyway, girl in pub said they were Hem & Haw, an australian label. she called them another name but i can't remember. googled them and some shit site came up. anyone know where to get these? a UK stockist perhaps?