i'm freaking out over starch...

Egpt

ok, before you start flaming me with "use the search button, noob" sentences, i must say that i used it, and read throughout the whole threads about starch in the hope to see something that would help me.

the thing is, i am portuguese, and although i have a degree in english, i have no idea of what starch actually is, and i am not able to find the literal translation to portuguese, mainly due to the fact that the only dictionary that i currently have at home is a quite basic one.

so, i would like the know what is the actual usage of the starch so i can ask for it at a local drugstore or something.

i also considered doing the home made starch, but i dont know what corn starch is either.

anyone here willing to help me out in this language barrier ?

thanks

Stand tall or don't stand at all

used to keep all clothes creased and unwrinkled. Used in denim to increase visibility of honecombs, whiskers, etc

1. [n] a complex carbohydrate found chiefly in seeds, fruits, tubers, roots and stem pith of plants, notably in corn, potatoes, wheat, and rice; an important foodstuff and used otherwise in adhesives and as fillers and stiffeners for paper and textiles. More...

em português:apresto

2. icon_smile_dissapprove.gif stiffen with starch; "starch clothes". More...

<dar acabamento com esse verniz>

hope that helps. I speak spanish, not portugese, so thats about all i can do haha.

you could make starch by boiling potatoes and then using the leftover water. if you search on google they'd have a nice recipe for you to get the starch out of them to use.

or you could get corn starch from a store and mix it with water. it is used for cooking, to thicken up soups or gravys.

After washing my STF, I found that using starch lightly will have better result because the harderned area will stay in shape but other area will also stay which means there will be less crease (I mean the other minor/small crease aside the major one.) . I think it will be probably a good idea to set the initial crease with starch then just wear it without starching it again. Or as well just wear the hell out of it for a year.

Mysignature.jpgicon_smile_cool.gif

Edited by SoloC on May 10, 2006 at 01:23 AM

ahaha , i wanst expecting that much help, but thanks a lot for all your input. i must say that apresto and goma are by no chance the answer im looking for, as apresto is not even a portuguese word and "goma" are candys eheh :P. but thanks a lot for you help anyway.

asfberg gave me the answer though! amido is the answer ehehe.

thanks a lot for all your help.

gonna buy some starch now :P

Stand tall or don't stand at all