Linux users, linux discussion here!

blm14

Did a few different searches and couldn't find any thread dedicated specifically to linux.

I have machines running redhat enterprise (servers), Ubuntu 10.04 (my HTPC and work machine) and Linux Mint (my home machine).

Love, love, love. I do NOT miss slackware.

Finally getting around to configuring compiz fusion and it's so fucking sick. DESKTOP CUBE!

(obligatory nixiepixel YT clip)

LGY9cwSjZsU

My boxes:

Work: Dual quad-core Xeon X5355 2.6GHz, 12GB dual-channel DDR3, on-board RAID5 controller with 8x360GB SATA drives, NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT w/512MB ram, dual 24" dell monitors and a sweet buckling spring keyboard from UNICOMP!

Home: Dinky P4 dell running Linux Mint

HTPC: Acer Aspire revo dual-core atom N330 w/1GB ram and integrated nvidia ION chipset running ubuntu 10.04LTS minimal and XBMC

Anyone else want to join me in the geek fest? :)

Linux is ill.

Unfortunately, I do the PC gaming thing, so I need to keep a copy of Windows on hand.

Any time a family member asks me to build a machine, I drop Ubuntu on it, set up the menus to be in the same spots they would be in in Windows, load it up with free software, and hand it off.

Anyway, I just put Ubuntu 10.10 on the personal machine yesterday and haven't gotten to use it much.

Specs:

Q6600 OC'd to 3.0GHz on air (assembled this rig RIGHT before the Core iX shit happened, bummer)

8GB Dual Channel PC6400 DDR2

1x1TB 7200RPM SATA

1xGeForce GTX 260

1x24" monitor

And uh, some nice scissor switch keyboard that I fuckin' love.

Used redhat 10 years ago, switched to gentoo, figured out i liked sex more than computers, stopped using gentoo

played with xubuntu for awhile, and then realized that osx had the best performance-to-coding-where the fuck is the package needed-headache ratio and have been here on osx, happily using unix/terminal when needed, and enjoying the ease and beauty of one of the best OSs I've used, ever.

Also, for those who use OSX and would like to have an unobtrusive terminal window(s) easily, use http://visor.binaryage.com/

also, that compiz cube is cool the first 10 times, but it turns into the dammit just let me get to my coding window after about three days. :\

MyAcad - have you looked into win4lin or VMWare desktop? You have 4 CPU cores so you could conceivably just run an actual instance of windows in a VM. I am using win4lin for a handful of windows apps that I have to use at work and it's brilliant.

XY - I don't know when the last time you were using linux was, but the package management for many distros (yum for redhat is OK, aptutude for ubuntu and variants is awesome) has made package management like orders of magnitude easier. I used to like OSX at first but then apple decided to take away a lot of the mach kernel shit that allowed you to compile various unix packages on it and that made me sad and angry. Also I found myself spending WAY more time in terminal and said "why limit myself to apple software!?" so I said fuck it and ditched MacOS.

^^ last time I used gentoo was '05-06, and I know it's changed a lot since then. I just find that osx has met my needs pretty well. I know that Apple has its whole 'walled garden' deal going on, and that bothers me viscerally and as an open-source proponent, but when osx can basically plug-and-play with any printer and is functional AND pretty...I don't really need to move to linux. But some of the visual effects I've seen coming out of the x-windows camp (i think?) are pretty insane.

yeah agreed. Last time I used gentoo I didn't like it. XY printer drivers are essentially a non-issue unless you are using some really funky printer. If you have any HP/brother/(insert other large-name manufacturer here) and it's connected via USB or TCP then you can print to it with linux (probably any distro at this point).

What kind of printer do you have?