Fit Of Earnest Sewn Filson vs. Fulton

mojo_lo

For those of you out there who own or have owned both the Filson and the Fulton by Earnest Sewn, how would you compare the fit? I asked this question in a thread on styleforum, but want to be sure as I may be making an unreturnable purchase.

I assume that the actual waist measurements don't differ if they're labled the same. However, how about the thigh and the calf/ankle? Is one slimmer/snugger than the other? Somebody said that the Filson was just renamed Fulton due to legal issues. However, when this was done, did they also change the cut a bit?

I tried on the Fultons (53 - Patriot Wash) ystrdy. Usually wear a 32 or 33 in jeans. I found the 33's to give me a bit of an "upside-down triangle" look because they were looser in the thigh. The 32 Fulton's were a little tight around the waste and narrower in the thighs. The narrowness in the thighs worked well on me, and seemed to even out the balanace between the thigh and the calf.

I'm about to pick up the Filson's online for a cheaper price which is why I'm wondering about the fit. Unfortunately, no B&M store still carries it so I can't try it on.

Not entirely, correct. The fulton is the filson, but the filson(fulton) model has undergone small changes over the last two seasons. What is true to both is that if you go a size up, they can get pretty full in the leg-31 and smaller is slim, 32 and bigger is a little fuller. The only reason to get Filson over fulton is if you can get the first season, which had full selvedge. The fulton's are half selvedge, but this season and last they were a little heavier weight denim. Also, the fulton fixed some back rise problems, they have a better form fitting waistpiece( back triangle above pockets, than the orginal filson, which I had to have dropped at least an inch. Hope that helps.

thanks a lot singlet2! that's the kind of info I was hoping for. these minor changes in the filson are probably why a couple people at styleforum thought the filsons fitted slimmer.

i was checking out the knee and leg opening measurements on revolve. and the filsons seemed pretty much the same as the fultons. however, if just looking at the fultons, all the washes have different measurements. it's confusing to say the least. are the revolve measurements reliable?

My comparrisons only address raw-thye fulton patriot is a nice wash, but I think for a fit that stretchs to your shape Raw is best. It's a shame that they stopped the full selvedge on the filson, but really the denim has improved. I wouldn't get any old filson's unless they were full selvedge, I don't see the point since they have been improved. Also, the older filson pockets were a bit naf, prone to giving guys a girl ass. I'll try and do some thigh measurement 's on both in th next day if I can get around to it. what size are looking for, I might have an extra pair I never wore.

I'm not sure I believe a 16In. leg opening exists. I just measured two season's of filsons and the new fulton and a rollo and none came in under 8.5 inch flat-meaning at least 17 inch opening. The other difference between the old filson and newer filson and fulton was that the orginal had two stich lines down the inner leg, light blue and orange which was a rift on Steve mcQueen's car in Lemans. I have a waist 32 on the orginal filson. I had E. Sewn replace the pockets with a better squarer pocket. The leg opening is almost 8 3/4 flat( basically straight down. Raw, with some small wear on back of legs which I had a small cuff. Have to think if I want to part with though I haven't worn them in a longtime as they are a little big. I'll think if that leg opening is more or less than what you had in mind.

You'll be pretty happy with the 53's. They lose their indigo faster than most jeans, at least after each wash. But awesome results.

sewns12weeks0024xi.jpg

sewns12weeks0171ze.jpg

sewns12weeks0200sw.jpg

12 weeks, two necessary washes. (I had spilled coffee all over them last night when I was using my french press)

yep, those look pretty sweet...12 weeks, dang! i know it's been said about Earnest Sewns before, but their dyes really are beautiful.

are those the filson or fulton? not sure if it's my eyes, but those pockets look a little more "normal" (less big and round) than the ones I've seen. maybe it's the changes that singlet2 referred to.

singlet2, 17" round sounds a lot better than 16". with the custom pockets, sounds like you have quite a unique pair!

gonna try to compare them with Straight Svens over the weekend, if possible. hopefully i will be more decisive after that.

well, tried on the Fultons again. also tried the Nudie SS's and and Bootcut Ola's (they didn't have dry denim in either though). liked em all.

anyway, i compared the leg opening on the Fulton's to both, and the Fulton is *slightly* wider than the SS's, and *slightly* narrower than the Ola's There is probably 1/8" difference between the Fultons and the SS's and the same between the Fultons and Ola's.. All were 32's.

The cut of the Fulton's makes them seem more tapered than the SS's as the Straight Svens are just that, very straight looking from top to bottom. As many have said, the Ola's do not look like bootcuts. They were the tightest pair around the thigh, but loosened up nicely (no flaring) below the knee.

Looking forward to seeing your Fulton's.