Magic Convention... Anyone?

mattceez

Quote:

I got all my clearence the otherday, Not sure if I'll be there.

If I go I'll be out repersenting a brand I'm about to start working for. ;/ Not really feeling what they are about to show.

--- Original message by baskew on Feb 18, 2006 04:58 PM

Yeah, it's pretty hard representing stuff that you are not feeling. That's why it's so much easier to be a buyer than a vendor, imo, although even then, you end up with accounts and buying stuff you know are crap just because they are the hot brand. I mean, who really likes denim is really feeling True Religion or Seven or Citizens? But it sells. We all serve the Man.

The only stuff that I ever end up doing that I am not feeling is th stuff the owner does himself, and it is more the contemporary side of stuff like wovens and blazers. I really don't wear a lot of that stuff, but it doesn't mean its not good. I do all the shoe lines as well as most of the knits. We both do them denims and it seems to work out. He is 12 years older than I am so we get both perspectives. We stopped chasing the hot brands a long time ago. It's kind of nice. I mean, I would rather sell $200 Edwin all day long rather than $260 True Religion. It just boggles me that people will spend that much on a denimbrand that makes you look like you are standing pigeon toed.

^ That is imo different from not feeling something. My uniform is a sweatshirt, usually a zip hoodie, a tee, layered jackets, interesting belts, and dark jeans with lighter colored kicks. Occasionally, I'll wear a snap button, fitted military or western shirt over a longsleeve thermal. But I can still feel a really good pair of boots (I have the coolest Costume National boots, but just never wear them, and I love the classic beewax Clarks boots), a really good button up by Obedient Sons or Trogolodyte Homunculus for Groupe 16sur20 or Steven Alan, or a Cloak cardigan (I have the oversized hooded one from F/W 2003 that I love but just never wear). Just because you don't use it in your repetoire doesn't mean you don't feel it. It's just not your personal style, which is something very personal. I mean, Hedi Slimane wears pretty much the same thing every day, but designs amazing stuff that he himself never wears. And John Galliano's women's lines are amazing, but the man dresses like a pirate (like Pirates of the Carribean, I shit you not.)

Project and Magic

buying and then helpnig sell for a companyfor maybe a half a day

DOES WHAT I SAY INTEREST YOU?

I am available for employment,

full time, part time, & consulting, depending on the numbers

I am willing to work for major companies, brands, stores, and magazines

possibly whereever you want me to work, or what gap you need filled is up for discussion, from working directly with clothes to freelance writing

feel free to inquire about anything

contact email: [email protected]