Layover in New York

mydenvermax

I have a 10 hour layover in New York tomorrow, and I want to go somewhere to sit down and get some writing done. Some place where I can sit outside under some trees and drink and write. I've only been to New York once before, and it was a one-day whirlwind extravaganza with family, so I don't know the area well. I don't want to do any sightseeing or shopping this time in fear that I'll spend too much money.

Any suggestions? Maybe around Washington Sq Pk? Good coffee and/or wine?

Thanks in advance.

is this 10 hours including the 2-4 hour(depending on LIE traffic, subway, air train) round trip to manhattan and the airport, and the TSA required check in 2 hours before the flight?

Hah, I've factored in travel time. No worries there.

And what airline do you fly on that requires 2-hour prior check-in? Most airports I am fine showing up 1hour prior, and at some, even 30-45 minutes...

Damn there are so many cafes around Thompkins park, Cafe Pick Me Up, Cafe Ost, B Cup, Cafe Yola, 9th St Espresso, Alt Coffee. Ridiculous.

Although way better than here in Houston, where we have a couple blocks in town with 2 or 3 Starbuck's on the corners. That's overdoing it in a completely different way.

what if the subways break down, and you miss your connecting flight?

There are other ways off the island...

My layover worked great, and I thoroughly enjoyed the neighborhood around Thompkins park. Weather was decent, taking the A train from JFK to Canal was about 80 minutes roundtrip, and the cappuccino I had at 9th street espresso was pretty good. Best part about this little area (is that considered East Village or Lower East Side?) was the lack of tourists wandering around looking in random directions and stopping randomly to flip through their guidebooks. I guess I was one of those people myself, but I didn't look as obvious because I don't find numbered streets confusing...