My RRDS after 8 months...

triniboy27

Here are my RRDS....been wearing them since the end of April..thinking of taking them for a dry-clean soon and a hemming soon...have done nothing other than wearing them whenever I can, and the occasional starching...and oh yeah, they used to be a 33 but I had them taken in at the waist and seat so they're a 32 now...

Front

ifztr9.jpg

Back:

ifzvde.jpg

Close up front:

ifzvkh.jpg

Close up back:

ifzvrd.jpg

Edited by triniboy27 on Dec 11, 2005 at 09:10 PM

It was cool..I've done it before..both with jeans and with dress pants...

Not sure where you're located but here in Toronto, there's this alteration chain called Stitch-It...have used them extensively and they're pretty good.

As for how it feels, it doesn't feel/look awkward at all..i really should've gotten a 32 to begin with but went with the 33, which stretched out a lot and was pretty saggy in the ass...so taking in the waist and seat helped with those issues..

Sup syb,

They basically took it in through the back at the yoke..so it was an inch in the waist and all along the seat down to the crotch...

How they exactly did it is beyond me but if I look at the jeans, you really can't tell.

If you're considering getting yours done, I'd probably ask the tailor if they've done it before...I don't think it's necessarily a difficult process per se, but you'd want to make sure they're not just putting darts in the waist as that would leave the seat/ass area unproportional to the waist.

I can try and take some more detailed pics of the area if you think it will help..

Quote:

They basically took it in through the back at the yoke..so it was an inch in the waist and all along the seat down to the crotch...

How they exactly did it is beyond me but if I look at the jeans, you really can't tell.

If you're considering getting yours done, I'd probably ask the tailor if they've done it before...I don't think it's necessarily a difficult process per se, but you'd want to make sure they're not just putting darts in the waist as that would leave the seat/ass area unproportional to the waist.

I can try and take some more detailed pics of the area if you think it will help..

Cheers ... I'd be interested if you got time to post pics up of the alteration cos I'm still kind of undecided whether to get mine fixed. Just bored wearing denim that's fine when it's washed but then stretches out baaaad . Guess for the amount they get washed (never) it would probably make sense.

Hey cheers for that. Biggest deal that bothers me about major denim surgery is that it by messing around with the proportions of the jeans, you'd create more friction and wear through quicker up the thighs or butt. Looking up the post it doesn't look like yours have, in fact I wouldn't have noticed the alteration if you hadn't mentioned it.

So now I'm sold on the process I'm thinking about it I don't reckon I could get mine doctored, cos they're cinch backed ... Grrrrr ....

Ouch - cinch backed could be an issue...depending on exactly how much alteration you're planning on doing.

I've never done more than an inch or 1.5 inches max in the waist/seat so I really can't comment on more than that.

As for messing with the proportions, again, because it's only an inch and was also taken in thru the seat, I didn't really encounter that issue.

My new concern is around the shrinkage come washing time...not sure if you can tell in the pics but the hems of my jeans are pretty much ragged in the back, from dragging on the ground, etc...from what i understand about the RRDS shrinkage, that shit might shift 2 inches upwards..which would look ridiculous. I think I'm just going to dry-clean these and not wash them...

I've washed my denim once in the time I've had it, so they've shrunk down as much as they ever will. My thing is that although buying raw and "cultivating" makes for a better finish, I've never had a satisifying fit yet and it would be nice to have a pair of excellent jeans that I knew I'd put work into that didn't look like they belonged to somebody else first.

Figure I only get more idea of what I do want from a fit by finding what I don't first and that only happens when I'm done with each project. And of course each pair takes four or so years to get right, which is a pain in the ass time-wise.

HMn. How come you altered your RRDS without them washing first? they'll shrink in length for sure which you'd have taken that into account when you picked them up, but have you left enough around the waist to allow a decent fit?

Syb,

To be honest, when I initially bought them, I didn't take into account the shrinkage as the Nudie website speaks to a 1-3% shrinkage, which is significantly less than the 2+ inch shrinkage I've read about here...

As a result, I think these might be a dry-clean only pair, which I actually don't mind since I like the grey effect as opposed to the bright blue that I've seen washed pairs of RRDS.

Bumba,

I can't remember the price but it was around $20 I think.

Thanks for the advice, Geowu..

My only inseam issue is that I have the full 32" in the front, but because of wear and tear in the back, they're worn down to about 30"...

While I'm normally a 30" or so, I'm scared that if I wash them, the back hem will be up at my ankles and look ridiculous.