Boston, MA

jon bones

As much as I love NYC, there are career opportunities in Boston that may be worth the hassle of relocation. One of the few things barring a decision is that I don't have a grasp of the social life up there. I'm visiting shortly after Thanksgiving weekend to get a feel for it myself and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions of places I need to check out.

NYC kicks boston's ass. As a current resident, I can tell you there's stuff, but not lots of it. Check out Newbury street, Copley Square and Harvard Square. Those are pretty much the best places as far as shopping is concerned. In terms of social life, there are a lot of pubs all over the place (one of Boston's good points). There's a large sorta bro-ish scene over by Faneuil Hall with clubs, bars and all that. Better areas for clubs and bars are Cambridge, Allston and Brighton.

Thanks for your help! I will avoid that bro scene like the plague...

I'm into bars and pubs, not really into the club scene (would rather frequent a lounge) and very much into indie music (across all genres).

Though it looks like I may have to cancel my account at Midtown comics and start one Newbury!

boston and some areas surrounding beantown are good for indie music. you should check out http://www.mideastclub.com/ for some shows n stuff. i think no age is playing there next week. also, check out stel's http://www.stelsinc.com/ on newburry street. they carry nice stuff, and are really nice people. i go to UNH right now, and i used to live in the neighboring town Portsmouth. huge indie seen there.

Thanks for your help! I will avoid that bro scene like the plague...

I'm into bars and pubs, not really into the club scene (would rather frequent a lounge) and very much into indie music (across all genres).

Though it looks like I may have to cancel my account at Midtown comics and start one Newbury!

Check out the South End of Boston. It has a lot of trendy bars, but they're more relaxed than the clubs downtown.

Some of my favorite bars are Pho Republique (Good food and drink, low key vibe and great bartenders), Stella (a little bit pretentious, but not bad if you bring friends), JJ Foleys (It's an Irish pub, but kind of an upscale one. Not a dive), Beehive (they have music and stuff. It's pretty good), Clery's (never been, but I've heard good things).

There's also tons of really nice restaurants in the South End. Kind of pricey though.

If you're looking for pubs head to Southie (South Boston not the South End) It's an Irish neighborhood (see "The Departed" and "Good Will Hunting"), so you don't have to go to far to find a good drinking establishment.

Boylston street has some bars that are more Club style. (the kind where douchebags go). I would avoid Boylston as well as Fanueil Hall.

Head over the bridge to Cambridge for a more laid back vibe. Can be a little self-important, but there are good clubs and bars along Mass Ave.

There are some spots in the Allston/Brighton area, but it's crowded with a lot of college kids which can be obnoxious.

boston and some areas surrounding beantown are good for indie music. you should check out http://www.mideastclub.com/ for some shows n stuff. i think no age is playing there next week. also, check out stel's http://www.stelsinc.com/ on newburry street. they carry nice stuff, and are really nice people. i go to UNH right now, and i used to live in the neighboring town Portsmouth. huge indie seen there.

boston has a decent underground music scene but it's laughably under-served venue-wise. the middle east is the only decent small space but it's pay-to-play now which is going to limit your options a lot. great record stores though, check out twisted village.

no hate on boston but you're going to have culture shock coming from nyc - no 24hr life to speak of (including the t shutting down), relative lack of cultural diversity and it's really small.

no hate on boston but you're going to have culture shock coming from nyc - no 24hr life to speak of (including the t shutting down), relative lack of cultural diversity and it's really small.

Oh, without a doubt. Boston has no culture value. It's so homogenous.

The t shuts down at 12:30 (which is beyond stupid) and aside from bars being open till 2, there isn't much going on at night.

If I were you, I'd stay in NY or get a girlfriend here quick.

Sadly, my girlfriend will be staying in the Bronx :(

All things considered, I'm in it for the money, so I may have to suck it up for a year or two in Boston while NYC thrives on without me. I will miss my colored brethren but you have to do what you have to do (especially in this job market).

Thanks again for all the help.

I'd have to second Stel's, and right above them is the main Newbury comics. They're surprisingly not as picked over as one might expect music-wise, and have a decent new vinyl selection.

Middle east is by far the best place for shows out here. Other places that have good bands occasionally are TT and the Bears (right next to the middle east), the Paradise, and very rarely Harper's ferry.

Another crappy thing about Boston is the winter. It is colder here than nyc by far. Things start getting lame when the snow shuts down the trains and its just freaking cold in general. There are good job opportunities available though. Maybe the cold keeps people away.

just don't come up here to be a designer...everyone's cutting back. I live in Allston (basically 2 miles out of downtown) and it's kinda cool, but not remotely like new york at all. however, i tend to dislike new york when i get down there, I also don't go out to clubs and maybe go to a bar once a month, thus i love it here.

the one thing that's awesome is when you're in boston, your a 15 minute drive to the country. you can get out of it pretty quickly. plus, in 2 hours you're in vermont to ski and in an hour and a half you're in rhode island or on the cape for beaches.

it's basically a city for people that don't like city life.

I've lived in boston for a couple years now...It's alrighttt

I usually shop at stels, alan blazarian, bobby from boston, and barneys, with the occasional purchase from bodega or concepts...

At this point I feel like cambridge>boston in regards to your dwelling but the south end is a decent option. I work in real estate here so if your looking for a place or just need a little quick advice feel free to pm me.

Oh, without a doubt. Boston has no culture value. It's so homogenous.

The t shuts down at 12:30 (which is beyond stupid) and aside from bars being open till 2, there isn't much going on at night.

If I were you, I'd stay in NY or get a girlfriend here quick.

That T business fucking blows. Been getting stuck in all over the place after parties... I feel like it just encourages people to drive drunk.

As I get closer to a decision, I'll definitely PM you about housing, Parker.

As for Corter and everyone else: I'm very interested in why you dislike Boston cabbies, why it's impractical and why you don't use it. My (potential) line of business works directly with Boston transportation and it would be great to get insight from you guys.

Boston cabbies are rude that's why.

And a lot of the time they don't really know where they are going. It can be difficult with constant construction changing what areas are driveable/fastest etc. but its something you expect the cabbie to know--they usually don't.

Not to mention that they take forever to show up when you call for one.

As much as I love NYC, there are career opportunities in Boston that may be worth the hassle of relocation. One of the few things barring a decision is that I don't have a grasp of the social life up there. I'm visiting shortly after Thanksgiving weekend to get a feel for it myself and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions of places I need to check out.

yeah man you should check out alan bilzerian on newbury! best shop in boston! They have Carol Christian Poell, Yohji, Ann D, Lanvin, Raf, Carpe Diem, really the BEST possible things you can get

Boston cabbies are rude that's why.

And a lot of the time they don't really know where they are going. It can be difficult with constant construction changing what areas are driveable/fastest etc. but its something you expect the cabbie to know--they usually don't.

This has been an annoying problem for me. The cabbies almost never speak decent english, and rarely know what you are talking about.

Yeah..

I was actually wondering last time I was in town on business if there was any kind of driver service for hire. Like less than a limo/chaffeur but more than a cab?

I think people would be willing to pay for service if the cabbie knew the city, didn't smell like feet, and had a clean car with gps. maybe this exists?

As I get closer to a decision, I'll definitely PM you about housing, Parker.

As for Corter and everyone else: I'm very interested in why you dislike Boston cabbies, why it's impractical and why you don't use it. My (potential) line of business works directly with Boston transportation and it would be great to get insight from you guys.

don't worry so much about the cabbies as the T drivers. last year i got pushed (i mean shoved, like fell down the stairs) out of a T on the B line by the driver because he wanted less people on the train. i didnt hear him say "go around back" and instead of asking again, he pushed me. caught me off guard and i fell down the stairs, scraped up my knee and twisted my wrist pretty bad.. and never even got his name or train # to report him. i've had some pretty dick T drivers.

cabbies are just assholes most of the time. they'll take you an extra 2 miles around the city if you dont know the exact route they should be going, just to make some extra cash. if it's late on a weekend night, forget it...they think everyones drunk and try to pull one over on you. I had one take us on storrow drive when we were going from my friends in JP to my place right off comm ave in allston. we refused to pay him. I also had one at a $14 fare say "i've only got a $5 in change" and try to keep my $20, i was like no way i'm giving you almost 50% tip and had to threaten to call the police before he gave me my change. they're also bullies on the road, as a cyclist i'm always super careful around them as they drive pretty crazy.

Yeah..

I was actually wondering last time I was in town on business if there was any kind of driver service for hire. Like less than a limo/chaffeur but more than a cab?

I think people would be willing to pay for service if the cabbie knew the city, didn't smell like feet, and had a clean car with gps. maybe this exists?

Boston Coach.

It's a bit expensive though. They pick use regular town cars instead of limos and the drivers are really good (know the city well, don't take tips, keep a clean car, don't honk, speak English). Good if you're in town on business.

Don't really take cabs, when I have its been pretty successful. However, I do give them a wide berth while driving, signals are not widely used. We are called "massholes" for a reason. Boston is definitely a lot less exciting and smaller than NYC. It's really how amazingly small the actual city is. I live out in JP now and my neighborhood could easily be confused for a real suburb, like where Eastcoastrider lives, aka Newton.

Don't really take cabs, when I have its been pretty successful. However, I do give them a wide berth while driving, signals are not widely used. We are called "massholes" for a reason. Boston is definitely a lot less exciting and smaller than NYC. It's really how amazingly small the actual city is. I live out in JP now and my neighborhood could easily be confused for a real suburb, like where Eastcoastrider lives, aka Newton.

I live in the city now. The South End.