Dry clean or Hand wash dry denim?

eastcoastrider27

Some moron girl spilled a beer on my APC Rescues the other night.

Should I dry clean them or hand wash them in cold water?

I'm afraid a hand wash won't get the smell of stale beer out, and I also don't want to lose a lot of indigo.

On the other hand, will dry cleaning affect the jeans at all? I want to keep my natural creases.

Prefiero morir de pie que vivir siempre arrodillado

I wouldn't be worried about losing a lot of indigo in a cool handwash.

But if you are worried, then dry cleaning is OK too. It will be the least intrusive method of cleaning your denim. (think dry cleaning for oily stains, washing for muddy stains). If you go with dry cleaning and your jeans have a leather label (APC's don't but for future reference - take care, particularly the thin deer-skin patches that many Japanese jeans carry), then check beforehand with your cleaner that they are confident in handling them. I've seen leather labels ruined by the heat evaporation process (perc removal).

I'd wash 'em.

Thanks for the help Ring Ring!

I was leaning more towards dry cleaning, because I don't want my jeans to touch any water for close to a year!

My concerns with dry cleaning are:

-Losing natural creasing (but I figured I can avoid this by telling the cleaner not to press the jeans)

-Losing indigo from stain removal of dirt spots, but I would imagine the Perc wouldn't do this, only post dry clean stain removal process (which I can ask them to skip as well I guess)

I suppose I could also go to the dry cleaners and ask them what the best option would be.

Prefiero morir de pie que vivir siempre arrodillado

did you get them dry cleaned yet?

i just dropped off my rescues at the cleaners, cause my roomates cat pissed on them.

other stains and smells, i can deal with, but not cat piss.

ive had these things since march, and today is the first day they will be washed...

the cleaners said there wouldnt be any fading,

so i hope they look as good as they were before dropping them off.

grimey retarded

I think a dry clean is good if done perfectly but why bother with the worry. There are like 30 ways they could mess it up. I'm just going to cold soak them and hang dry. Cheaper too.

Edited by Tarmac on Nov 14, 2005 at 05:56 PM

Quote:

I think a dry clean is good if done perfectly but why bother with the worry. There are like 30 ways they could mess it up. I'm just going to cold soak them and hang dry. Cheaper too.

Edited by Tarmac on Nov 14, 2005 at 05:56 PM

--- Original message by Tarmac on Nov 14, 2005 05:55 PM

hello, I am kind of new to the whole raw denim thing and I have been wearing my earnest sewn filsons for exactly one month today and i think they are a bit out of shape...a bit looser. Can you tell me about the soaking process a bit more, i know it is supposed to shrink the jeans up a bit also.

thanks !

so i got them back today,

they shrunk a little/...which annoys me.

im sure they will stretch back out,

but i guess whatever little moisture that got on them from the chemicals made them shrink a bit.

the original shine isn a bit duller now, and they feel softer.

all in all, im not that impressed by these dry cleaners,

and will avoid dry cleaning any future jeans again/..

grimey retarded

So for those of us who bought jeans in our exact size, and are worried about shrinkage, would it be better not to use dry cleaning for a first washing? I had intended on dry cleaning my jeans after about 6 months of wear. But if you're all saying that it's not a good idea, maybe I'll just stick to cleaning by hand with a damp cloth and some fabreeze. I had hoped to eventually lose some indigo in the right places. At the moment after about 4 or 5 months of wear, the only place that's lost a significant amount of indigo is above the front pockets and on the back pockets. I'm still not seeing any back of the knee hige, although some mild whiskers are visible on the front of the jeans. So is there any cleaning method that would show the same "transformation" that one would see with a warm first wash?

it didnt shrink a lot,

it just kinda felt like how they fit when i first bought them..

just a little snug.

after wearing them the whole day,

they stretched back out.

so no, i wouldnt worry about them shrinking too much if you dry clean them.

if you want to preserve the natural sheen of the dry denim.

id say to avoid washing/dry cleaning at all costs.

just flip them inside out and hit it with the febreeze and let it hang dry.

you will get the loss of indigo from washing the jeans or just letting them soak in water,

not so much from dry cleaning,

but then again you sacrifice the look of the dry denim...unless you dont care.

grimey retarded