loner trip guide to Korea

eddyz

Hey everyone, I am planning on going to Korea this December after my fall semester ends. I am going to be going back to Japan first, then heading out to Korea. Dates I am still unsure of, but is probably going to be before Christmas. I have never been to Korea before, but i have always wanted to go! I plan on staying for around 6 days, will this be enough to visit most of the tourist attractions and have time for shopping?

my main goal of traveling to Korea is to, eat, shop, a bit of site seeing, and if i have time, visit some of the universities such as Yonsei, and Seoul national U and see how it operates (since i might want to do a exchange program in korea for a semester or 2).

Now my question is, what are some tips/guides into traveling by myself in korea? what are some good budget hotels/inns that you guys recommend to stay at? And around how much should i bring for just transportation/accomidation? Lastly, what are the "must go" non tourist places to go (shopping centres, acrades, food places, clubs).

thanks , hopefully your help will make my trip to korea a success!

oh and here is a big question... I have ZERO knowledge in korean language. what are some ways to conquer the language barrier when i am traveling around? I heard lots of people there do not speak English, and most small resturants won't have english menus;.

I wouldn't worry too much. For example, that taco truck has an extensive English menu, and the owners speak pretty good English, they are funny.

thanks, but how about korean based resturants? im probably gonna avoid the burger joints/foreign food, and gonna try to have as much korean based food as possible.

thanks, but how about korean based resturants? im probably gonna avoid the burger joints/foreign food, and gonna try to have as much korean based food as possible.

Well, suit yourself, but I think that taco truck is not to be missed.

I wouldn't worry too much. For example, that taco truck has an extensive English menu, and the owners speak pretty good English, they are funny.
Korea ranks pretty high in TOEFL. So I wouldnt worry about english too much

ya i am pretty sure most retail stores/big resturants will have some english speaking staffs/waiters. I am just worried about the smaller places that will make the trip more interesting.

I am def gonna check out the DMZ. anyone have a link into how to get there or if i have to sign a tour for it>?

thanks

you used the free interpreter in the cab? Wow, I always wondered who used those... those stickers always get put up next to an advertisement for a Korean-style psychic hotline or something...

make sure to check out gangnam and hongdae, theyre the big party spots in seoul. lots of clubs and the like there like the famous club envy. if you're looking for some interesting shopping, make sure to check out dongdaemoon where you can find the doosan tower and migliore, those are two shopping centers next to each other that run 24/7 and are most hectic at around 4 am actually; really interesting place, highly recommend it. They also have a specialty for selling imitation products like watches and wallets. Since the very high quality replicas are illegal, they're always kept hidden; you just have to ask and they'll show you their real goods.

Also, to check out the DMZ, just drive up north. You don't need a tour or anything. Once you pass the 38 parallel there's an interesting little station they set up where you can check out the border but it's nothing too special.