Shopping for fabrics

president

Wich Country in the world would be the best?

I am thinking high quality shirt fabric. Cotton.

I have heard that India is a nice country for cotton and silk fabrics

And Ive heard that French fabrics is the best, but too expensive

What about eastern europe?

Price vs quality

Any toughts?

Interesting question... where are you located? Most urban areas will have a downtown business district, and in LA's case at least, a fashion district, where you can buy fabric wholesale by the yard. If you have such a place, check out a few different weaves, see what you like. Oh, and I think Indian textiles are pretty good quality for the price.

Thanks

What is so good about the peruvian cotton?

Anyone know any messageboards or anywhere else I can get info on fabrics and production?

And... I am located in Norway. Probably the worst place i the world to look for fabrics :)

I have been thinking about India or Thailand. Its only gonna be shirts, quite formal

Any hints will be much appriciated

you want to buy from the mills directly.

Italy is the most expensive but the best, then Japan, Turkey, India, etc.

two good italian mills are cotonificio albini (thomas mason) and tessitura monti

If you can't do that, best bet is to contact a distributor who is a supplier to custom shirtmakers.

oh, also check out acorn -

http://www.acornfabrics.com/

if you buy directly from the mills isn't there like a 10,000 yd minimum or something like that?

no.

for a button down shirt 10,000 yds is about 7700 shirts. there are not too many companies who are doing those numbers and are buying italian fabric.

usually if there is a minimum it's because they have to make it for you and it'll be 1000 yds but you will usually be able to get sample yardage (maybe in another color) in order to make prototype and sales samples.

the only time you see 10k yd. minimums is if you're buying a highly specialized fabric from asia or something, and even then they would probably break that into colors. 10k is also a common minimum for custom made snaps and buttons and that kind of shit.

the whole reason for minimums is because there is a minimum point at which the trouble the mill goes to to produce the fabric is profitable. many mills carry a small quantity of in-stock sample yardage. so maybe you could get 10-20 yds and then go get your 1000 after you've got orders based on the samples.

Can anybody suggest stores in LA? I'm looking for heavy outerwear sort of fabrics, like wool, etc.

b black and sons - downtown at los angeles st. @ 5th st.

you might also try international silks and woolens on beverly blvd. in hollywood.

basically all retail fabric stores operate by buying up unused end lots from other distributors and apparel manufacturers - keep this in mind if you're shopping for something that is more expensive, there is a lot of bargaining room considering they got the goods for probably 1/3 -1/2 of the actual wholesale price.

beckensteins

tip top in brooklyn

Beckenstein's has just recieved a big shipment of shirting fabrics. They can also source any fabrics you need. I buy all my mens fabrics there. They also have a small tailor shop that make really nice shirts but they keep it on the down low. Really easy to work with and pricing is fair compared to the rest of the garmet center.