Most expensive cities in the world 2008

This probably includes something like a 4-door luxury car or two, a 5,000 sq ft furnished flat with American-style imported appliances, English language private schooling for two children, an American food and utilities budget, and security to counter local safety levels.

Seoul typically ranks top 5, it'd beat Moscow and Tokyo/Osaka on these lists if they removed the bodyguard(s) requirement for Moscow and adjusted housing requirements in the Japan survey, because most everything else is more expensive in Seoul.

This is how they're figuring out the list, to put 3 Korean cities on there (Ulsan is like a shipbuilding town I think, with nothing in town, really):

At Korean prices:

4BR executive apartment: about $8,000/month

1 S550: About $200,000

1 bodyguard: about $30-40,000 a year

2X yearly private school tuitions: about $40K

food/utilities budget, American food: about 300% of American cost

How Korean middle class people actually live:

rent: often free, through lump sum refundable rental deposits that get invested

car: $25,000 Hyundai

no bodyguard

public school, or local private school tuition, maybe $10,000/year for 2 kids

food/utlities budget: about 75% of American costs

Clopek. Vancouver and Calgary are not expensive compared to some of the places on that list I have been to. Using the ol' "Big Mac Index" or cup of orange juice surrogate, you do not know expensive in Canada until you go to Berlin, Paris, London etc... and pay 12 for a hi ball at a dive bar.

<---- related to my avatar story, the girl who broke my heart and then made her house disappear within 6 months; I looked through the land listings on yahoo.co.jp after that, and they were selling the lot, 1200 sq ft about 400 of that being sidewalk on out + driveway/ingress tarmac patch: $800,000. :\ It stayed on there for about a month and then I guess someone bought it.

These are the most misrepresented lists these days, what was the virtual shopping basket of goods and services for this list?

if you click the link you can find the methodology

bascially like you said - how much does western stuff cost for expats

the ubs list makes more sense, but still...chi ahead of la?

:confused:

full size pics?

www.luxuryrealestate.com is such a sick time waster, btw

i browse realestate.com.au and homes.co.jp for my jollies, hehe...

this was the flyer for that lot, I think they originally listed it at about $1.2m and then worked their way down to 800K somehow

2pzctfm.jpg