your local art scene

doctorworm

what's your local art scene like? curious to hear about how things are across the world. to be honest i am not a big part of either of my local art scene's yet in terms of doing shows and all that jazz, but hopefully that will change in the near(ish) future.

so... do tell

what galleries are cool? who's doing interesting work? etc etc etc

scene is either very pretentious(chin-stroking in rollnecks) or enthusiastic amatuer,very few galleries offer shows to non-graduates and all prizes are kept pretty secret from students so that lecturers at the local college win.this is why im not trying to use my degree and just do djing instead.you should check out andy fung tho,dont know if he has a website but google him,kinda colourful linear semi-abstract pieces,very intricate.well wortha look.

where im from, the government had to step in to promote the arts scene. so they built a state of the art theatre, rebuilt the top arts school in the country on a ridiculously artsy looking campus, pumped and funded more arts festivals and programs, and even starts a "SCHOOL OF THE ARTS", with the underlying message perceived to be "its ok if you're not a banker, lawyer or a doctor. you're just as professional if you're in the art's field, you just don't make enough money."

The LOCAL ART SCENE is good for the size of my town. Pretty knittight group.

I am currently doing a avant garde, gorilla theater type thing with 6 other individuals.

It's fun.

There are 2 galleries here, in the LOCAL ART SCENE, one is not for profit and is a really good hang out spot.

The other robs people and is in the process of getting shut the fuck downnnnnnn.

There are a lot of kids here, in the LOCAL ART SCENE with rebels calling themselfs "photographers".