New Haven/CT Shops

Guest No Handclaps Please

looked around and didn't really find any threads focused on CT or the New Haven area..just wondering if anyone has any recommendations are far as places to shop, go etc. the area is decently cultured with a good amount of mainstream and not-so spots; feel free to post some up. if anyone knows a place to find a good variety of jeans, i've been looking for one.

you're kidding me. you expect shopping there aside from dunkin donuts?

could use some food/bar recommendations tho, shithole that it is.

haha thats what im sayin. how hard is it for a nigga to find some jeans, on the real. i always liked the quick and cheapness of ivy noodle, but you probably already know about that place.

I'm from New Haven. There isn't much. Toads Place is alright, beers are too much. Thomas Brown shoe-store, Urban Outfitters, J.Crew, AA, Cutler's Records, that's the most that comes to mind.

The museums are nice though.

Also, Clark's Diary/Diner is very good. I always try to stop when I'm back in New Haven.

Is it worth taking like a 45 min drive to go to that burger joint? The one that says they are the OG burger place? Limited toppings.... name is escaping me but you'll know what I mean.

Yorkside? Gotta be specific, there's tons. There's the Educated Burger (which sucks since they started being sanitary), and plenty of other places. I can't think of anyone that claims OG status, cause I'm pretty sure non can step to Clarks.

I'm from New Haven. There isn't much. Toads Place is alright, beers are too much. Thomas Brown shoe-store, Urban Outfitters, J.Crew, AA, Cutler's Records, that's the most that comes to mind.

The museums are nice though.

Also, Clark's Diary/Diner is very good. I always try to stop when I'm back in New Haven.

never heard of clarks but ill be sure to check it out if im down there. ill be at toads friday for NaS and Talib. i've been in cutlers, jcrew, and urban but i havent seen the AA..where is it?

Is it worth taking like a 45 min drive to go to that burger joint? The one that says they are the OG burger place? Limited toppings.... name is escaping me but you'll know what I mean.

im pretty sure you're talking about Louie's Lunch. $5 for a really good burger that isnt a meal unless you buy another one. double/extra cheese is good, ketchup isnt allowed, and you might be allowed to have lettuce/tomato but i cant remember.

id take the drive. even if it isnt the best burger you've ever had at least you've had an og burger. i think a lot of places try to claim the title but a person told me that LL was recognized by some legit government body as the first hambuger place.

i always liked the quick and cheapness of ivy noodle, but you probably already know about that place.

actually no i've only been here for a week. school just started and i have 3 more years to go so i have to start the list.

poly it seems like from all the pvd advice you'll now have to school me on new haven/ CT too- i'll be sure to check out rudy's soon.

I haven't heard of the burger place yet. but i know that the pizza here is worth the drive down even from Boston. the debate is between frank pepe's and sally's, but i prefer pepe more. make sure its the white clam pizza you get. my uncle used to do the boston- new haven drive when he was at grad school and i finally saw why.

actually no i've only been here for a week. school just started and i have 3 more years to go so i have to start the list.

poly it seems like from all the pvd advice you'll now have to school me on new haven/ CT too- i'll be sure to check out rudy's soon.

I haven't heard of the burger place yet. but i know that the pizza here is worth the drive down even from Boston. the debate is between frank pepe's and sally's, but i prefer pepe more. make sure its the white clam pizza you get. my uncle used to do the boston- new haven drive when he was at grad school and i finally saw why.

Modern is currently the best since Michael Angelo's burned down and still hasn't been reopened (not sure, haven't been there in a while), but Pepe's is decent, Sally's isn't very good, and Bar is closing soon, so you better get there before they're gone. Their pizza is ridiculously good. It's too bad, one of the best bars my dad ever designed :( gonna miss it.

i'm gonna hunt these places down then. are modern and bar around the yale campus? i've heard both names.

if i was to take my girlfriend out for a meal where? i konw theres lots of casual dining places, but somewhere with slightly more refined food?

well two small places that you'll prob find yourself going to for quick meals are Ivy Noodle and Bulldog Burito, they're right next to each other. Educated Burger has good curly fries. Hammer Jaks is hosting bikini night tonight. lol.

i'm gonna hunt these places down then. are modern and bar around the yale campus? i've heard both names.

if i was to take my girlfriend out for a meal where? i konw theres lots of casual dining places, but somewhere with slightly more refined food?

congrats on Yale, not too sure about the more refined dining

haha yea to be honest ive only eaten there about 10 times. most of the time im broke so i really appreciate the cheapness. the portions are pretty small too, but i mostly treat it as a nighttime snack so it serves its purpose. i usually get something with pork - and im not a big chinese eater, so i dont know how good or bad it is. i just know it satisfies

didn't know there were so many people in the new haven area. there was a uniqlo temporarily opened at the outlets past clinton crossing for last season stuff, but i don't know if it's there anymore and it's a decent drive away.

as for food, if you like sushi, and don't mind a 15-20 min drive from new haven. there's a joint in hamden called Sushi Palace. all you can eat buffet inclusive of appetizers (miso soup, tempura, etc), dessert (green tea/red bean ice cream, fried banana etc), and sushi of course. all for i think $18ish before taxes and tip. the quality isn't top of the line of course, but its pretty on-par with other places like aka saka.

any of the thai places in new haven are great as well.

not new haven, but brass city records in waterbury ct is the best record store i have ever been in. walt is the nicest man you'll ever meet. i used to drop by there all the time on my drive up to providence and it's way out of the way.

redscroll records in wallingford. phoenix records in waterbury.

www.manicproductions.org does some good shows in the new haven area frequently.

if you're into streetwear shit, you can check out a boutique called The Candy Shop in Hartford, they carry Crooks & Castles and that type of stuff.

what do you mean by streetwear exactly?

also, i'm looking for some nudies but i can't find a place that carries. i called up this one place from the nudie store finder and the guy said he stopped carrying them..

any good nudie retailers in southern CT or anywhere in CT for that matter? i'm trying to make the trip asap.

what do you mean by streetwear exactly?

also, i'm looking for some nudies but i can't find a place that carries. i called up this one place from the nudie store finder and the guy said he stopped carrying them..

any good nudie retailers in southern CT or anywhere in CT for that matter? i'm trying to make the trip asap.

take the train to nyc.

redscroll is good people. they put out the barstow 7". phoenix is whack. brass city is the only place you'll need to go.

cutler's closed their annex, so now its back to that one small space. Cut their vinyl collection in 1/2. so bummed.

Corter just gave you the best advice possible. Go on the weekend - 28 bucks round trip from New Haven. Enjoy the city, grab some lunch and buy some Nudies in the process. You'll enjoy it far more than rejecting good ideas in this thread.

oh i didn't mean to make it sound like i was rejecting his idea..just annoyed with CT at the moment. thanks though.

i mean, if you want jcrew or polo you're fucken set. there might be some place around yale that sells something, and you could go see starry night at the gallery while you're there, or hit up cafe nine on sunday nights for some decent blues....but nudies may be a long shot.

or, you could go to nyc and have your pick of anything you want, and it's probably easier than driving more than 30 minutes anywhere in ct, especially in the summer.

Modern is currently the best since Michael Angelo's burned down and still hasn't been reopened (not sure, haven't been there in a while), but Pepe's is decent, Sally's isn't very good, and Bar is closing soon, so you better get there before they're gone. Their pizza is ridiculously good. It's too bad, one of the best bars my dad ever designed :( gonna miss it.

That sucks! I just found out about BAR closing. seriously one of the best places CT has to offer at this point. its a real shame.