self proclaimed dj

BOORADLEY

so basically im looking to starting up as a dj. I think i'm the shit. and I think I can do it. now. what should I do. Burn a setlist of my stuff/mixes/set lists to a cd and hand them out to clubs? I dont want to get lost in the mixup of the millions doing that. make contacts? any suggestions?

my city also sucks.

Make a mix, burn it onto CD and go around to clubs and bars during the day to hand your stuff out. Worse come to worse you could always try to barter with a small bar to be payed a percentage of the drink sales. Then just have all your friends go there to drink

Last but not least, please do not DJ at Cowboys. Unless you are into corny white girls.

First off, PLEASE learn to mix. With the proliferation of serato and cdj's, basic DJ'ing skills such as mixing/blending have fallen by the wayside. It's one of my biggest pet peeves to see a DJ with no skills playing at a decent venue. You just make yourself and the club look bad.

That being said, I always had the most luck getting gigs by introducing myself and networking with other DJ's. Most working DJ's have a pretty good idea of what's out there at the time as far a work goes, as well as clubs and venues to avoid.

Mainly though, just act like to know and ask for a chance. If you're actually decent and as good as you say you are, they will ask you back.

Lastly, if you suck, do everyone a favor and stay home. Use your set up as much as possible and put in your time. It's obvious when a Dj has put a lot of time and energy into their craft, and it's almost always a lot of fun to watch.

why do you want to dj?

Do you wanna dj just so you can play guns n' bombs remixes to ugly girls?

A lot of people say "I wanna be a dj, im going to go dig for records".

The best djs are just record collectors sharing their tastes with the world.

"skills" don't mean anything when you're just playing back boys noize's beatport chart

Just don't even bother dude. Retract the thought and continue with your life. There really isn't much money in it, and you won't get anything good out of it. Your better off trying to be original like everyone else, buy some generic synth like a microkorg, a drum machine or ableton or something, then attempt to make your own music, then making a myspace music page, uploading your tunes and then hoping whoevers cool at the moment finding you and doing a remix of your shit. It won't happen though, just keep working that desk job.