Budget Airlines

Quiver

So this morning I was at the check-in counter of Jet Star (the budget airline of Australia) 25 minutes before my domestic flight departs and they refused to let me check-in. Like wtf...why?!?!? They couldn't even give me any kinda credit transfer for the next flight...wtf why not?!?!

On their website it simply says,

"To help us get you to your destination on time we must get your flight away on schedule. To do this we will close check-in:

* For flights operated by Jetstar (JQ) leaving from Australian Domestic terminals, 30 minutes before your scheduled departure"

Thats a terrific fucking explanation...

Anyone familiar with airlines and the reason why they need to provide a flight manifest to the captain of the aircraft 30 minutes in advance of take-off? (Especially when they don't need a head count cos they don't provide meals or anything so its obviously not for logistical reasons.)

Also, the last time I flew with them my baggage was 10kg in excess of what the limit was and they charged me 70 bucks. This morning I just saved them 80kg more or less and they didn't give me a penny. Makes me wanna hit the shitty service desk guy n the face.

before i feel anything, let me ask this: at the 25 min mark were you at the boarding gate or the check-in counter?

what the hell are you carrying that is 80kg?

on a budget airline too, jesus christ.

lol, did you honestly expect to garner some kind of sympathy? ridiculous story.

p.s. my bad if all irony is lost on me and you just forgot to attach a sarcasm meter.

HAHA EDIT:

and they refused to let me check-in.

wow... so it was check-in counter huh? no sympathy for you. haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

The gate closes 10-15 mins before departure... so checking in 25 mins before departure leaves you with 10-15 mins. Which is no way enough time for u go through security and make it to ur boarding gate...

Even if some how u manage to get there in time, your luggage wont. Baggage handlers are not going to rush for anyone.

Fair point lestat regarding the baggage handlers. Had they said that their handlers needed 30 minutes to get my baggage on board the plane then no problems. The service desk guy simply told me it's to get the details of passengers to the flight captain and crew or whatever. I can't see why.

azn8oi, 80kg was in reference to myself and the luggage I had with me - not just luggage - which would be 'jesus christ' indeed. It was an irrelevant comparison with the 10kg of excess baggage I had last time but I just wanted to emphasize the fact that no credit is transferable to the next flight. This seems ridiculous considering their competitors charge you another $50 on top as opposed to having you repurchase a new ticket. Why would I neg rep you?

Lastly, I have no doubt whatsoever, that if I was allowed to check-in, I would've had made it to the boarding gate well before departure. There was essentially no line at security cos its not the busiest fucking airport (especially at 8am in the morning) and the gate is easily walkable within 5 minutes.

btw, jimmylimousine, what was the charge for excess baggage that you heard of? I'm guessing an American international flight since those guys let you on with so much weight already anyway, and to exceed that would be really quite dangerous.