Hotel on Rivington

Supawyde

It's as safe as you can expect with a bunch of drinkers out and about! If you take a look at the LES map ( http://superfuture.com/city/area/area.cfm?area=15&city=3 ) you'll see that the neighborhood has a bunch of bars, shops, etc. and the nightlife there is much more fun than in SoHo. My last two trips to NYC I stayed in NoLita and walked to LES both night and day, with a buddy, with women and by myself with no trouble - even smashed. Like any big city, you need to watch out, but there isn't anything there to really be afraid of.

Have fun!

it's one of those many lower manhattan hotels owned by private equities with no hotelling experience and run by staff who may be aspiring models but never worked at a hotel. it's hideous. i'm not surprised that Surface design magazine (it was first conceived as a Surface Hotel) bailed out from the project very early and they've had problems finding financiers filling the gap. they've turning the top floors to serviced apartments - to reduce the number of rooms i may guess.

the weak dollar has created a huge influx of tourists to NYC and extreme shortage of hotel rooms at the moment. when that's gone - which will happen inevitably sooner or later - this, and many others will be out of business.

I think the problem with the Rivington hotel is the old standby criteria for any real estate: "Location, location, location". The problem with hotel rivington is that its trying to hard. The design, the concept, everything about it is in direct opposition to the surrounding area. You go Rivington and you are just struck with how utterly incongruous the hotel is compared with the rest of the buildings. It shouldn't belong there. People aren't enamoured with they see it. No other location has guards/porters outside their entrances, just homeless people and the occassional drunk. I'm really surprised they allowed it to be financed and I'm not suprised that they converting many of the rooms to apartments because I can't see why anyone would want to stay there since there are so many better hotels in/around the area.

I've stayed there a few times, and although the scene in the hotel bar gets pretty crazy, the location is convenient. There are tons of other great bars and restaurants in the area that make it worth staying so close.

On my first stay, I had a corner room suite, and it was amazing, there were windows that surrounded the bedroom, which could be closed automatically. and the shower stall was a half frosted window to the outside. Flat screen tv's, and a tempurpedic bed. You can't beat that!

My second stay, my room was more of a box, with the window facing another buildings' wall.

I would definitely stay there again. Of all the places I've stayed in NYC, I prefer the Rivington.

I went to some good parties on the the top two floors which were quite nice...the views up there are second to none...but agreed, overall the hotel is toilet.

“Isn’t it strange how it’s a fad to bite your idols when the whole reason you liked them is because their shit wasn’t recycled?†- Aesop Rock

• 2 weeks later...

the area is pretty safe but this hotel is way overpriced for what you get..only the views are good, hotel has lots of growing up to do.

check out tripadvisor for more reviews.

cheers

Tom in toronto

hello everyone! love this site, lots of useful information and fun to read. Now live in Toronto but have also lived in Montreal, Prague, Cape Town and Miami.

I stayed there for a couple nights before they were officially opened. The service was questionable. The finishes were very nice. The bathrooms were really nice. Tempurpedic mattresses were very nice. Maid walking in on me and my girlfriend was not. The views are very subjective to the room you get. The top floor has incredible views but so does the brooklyn bridge.

My opinion. If you are looking to have a great vacation in NYC it is worth the extra bucks to stay at soho/tribeca grand. Or just wait until The Standard opens. Can't wait for that one.

• 3 weeks later...

Unbelievable views!!! Tallest building in the lower east side and when you fall asleep on your temperpedic mattress you can fall asleep to the lights of the manhattan skyline. Very hip neighborhood. Highly recommend the restaurant around the corner on Ludlow. Suba is fantastic (if you can actually get a table). I feel some previous reviews have been somewhat unfair as the hotel only just finished construction. The lobby and restaurant are now completed and (obviously) the hotel is now much nicer than it was pre-opening.